Category 6 CIFAS marker

Watch this thread
Rxht6
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I was a victim of fraud and blackmail now I have a category 6 CIFAS marker. How can I remove it?
Also will it affect my university selection, making a student bank account and applying for student finance?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rxht6)
I was a victim of fraud and blackmail now I have a category 6 CIFAS marker. How can I remove it?
Who applied the marker? Have you reported the crime to the police?
Rxht6
Rep:
(Original post by Reue)
I had reported the fraud and blackmail to the police. Starling bank applied the marker
Rxht6
Rep:
(Original post by Reue)
Would it affect my ability to apply for student finance or a student bank account?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rxht6)
Would it affect my ability to apply for student finance or a student bank account?
No to SFE, yes to a high street bank.
j25_8
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rxht6)
Also will it affect my university selection, making a student bank account and applying for student finance?
As for removing it; cat 6s are reserved for people who:

“6 First Party Fraud -- Open an account or other facility for a fraudulent purpose, or the fraudulent misuse of an account or facility”

So unless you can show evidence that this isn’t what happened, they won’t remove it until 6 years from now. But if you can prove it, talk to them directly. Provide them screenshots, names, phone numbers whatever it takes to get your name off of the hook. I should say though that this will not work if you were promised money and you offered your account in exchange. If you broke any of their terms and conditions during this situation they won’t help you.

As for student finance - pockit apparently is good for people in your situation. Universities won’t be able to see the marker because they don’t check your credit report. Student finance will still probably give you a student loan but you’ll need a bank acc for them to put it in. Again pockit will have to do until you’re able to secure another bank acc
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by j25_8)

“6 First Party Fraud -- Open an account or other facility for a fraudulent purpose, or the fraudulent misuse of an account or facility”

So unless you can show evidence that this isn’t what happened, they won’t remove it until 6 years from now. But if you can prove it, talk to them directly. Provide them screenshots, names, phone numbers whatever it takes to get your name off of the hook. I should say though that this will not work if you were promised money and you offered your account in exchange. If you broke any of their terms and conditions during this situation they won’t help you.
Yip, if there is pretty much any evidence of you being involved or complicit in the scam by providing account access, expectations etc it'll stay cat 6

Thing is even if its a matter of blackmail etc, they can still end up with an Impersonation or Account Takeover marker, bearing in mind CIFAS main aim is to protect their members from risks associated with you, even if not your direct fault.
Rxht6
Rep:
(Original post by j25_8)

As for student finance - pockit apparently is good for people in your situation. Universities won’t be able to see the marker because they don’t check your credit report. Student finance will still probably give you a student loan but you’ll need a bank acc for them to put it in. Again pockit will have to do until you’re able to secure another bank acc
So the people had blackmailed me told me to give them access to my account to make money, it was actually to use me as a money mule, which I was unaware of. Before I had given them access I told them I was not interested. Then they threatened me sending messages and threatening videos, and saying they know where I work and where I live. They actually said where I live and where I work. Then they said for me to give them money cos apparently Ik too much. Then when I told them I wouldn’t give them money and continued threatening me then I gave them access to my account. I’ve let the police know what about everything but they said they can’t do much about the CIFAS marker.
Rxht6
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yip, if there is pretty much any evidence of you being involved or complicit in the scam by providing account access, expectations etc it'll stay cat 6

Thing is even if its a matter of blackmail etc, they can still end up with an Impersonation or Account Takeover marker, bearing in mind CIFAS main aim is to protect their members from risks associated with you, even if not your direct fault.
Do you know any bank accounts I can open which I can sent my maintenance loan and other student grants to which should be fine ?
j25_8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rxht6)
So the people had blackmailed me told me to give them access to my account to make money, it was actually to use me as a money mule, which I was unaware of. Before I had given them access I told them I was not interested. Then they threatened me sending messages and threatening videos, and saying they know where I work and where I live. They actually said where I live and where I work. Then they said for me to give them money cos apparently Ik too much. Then when I told them I wouldn’t give them money and continued threatening me then I gave them access to my account. I’ve let the police know what about everything but they said they can’t do much about the CIFAS marker.
The police could maybe write you a report or a statement detailing that you gave up your account under duress? The report should include details of what they did specifically so that it’s clear the only reason you gave it up is that you didn’t want to bring harm to yourself or whoever lives with you. I’m pretty sure a letter of this kind is called a “police report” but I’m not sure if they do them here in the uk, so you should absolutely ask the officer that you’re in contact with if they can do that for you.

The good ending of doing this will be where cifas accepts the police report, affirms that you didn’t deliberately use your account for a fraudulent purpose and either removes the marker or (more likely) knocks the severity of the marker down to a cat 2 which is reserved for those who experience:

“2 Victim of Impersonation -- Use, by another person, of this name and/or address”

The bad ending though would probably be cifas going: “we understand that, but you still did break the terms and conditions of the bank you were with and that does still mean that you are culpable enough that the cifas marker should remain on your credit report for the protection of other banks and their clients”. Another issue i can see happening would be that they might not accept a police report alone, and might choose to wait until one of the ppl who threatened you is actually convicted of threatening you before they consider your proof to be objective

The thing that you really need to focus on rn is pushing the police to assist you however they can either by reaching a conviction or helping you liaise with cifas as thoroughly as possible so that the marker affects you as minimally as it can
j25_8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rxht6)
Do you know any bank accounts I can open which I can sent my maintenance loan and other student grants to which should be fine ?
I’ve just had a quick check on this website and apparently N26 isn’t with cifas

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/na...tabase-members
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by j25_8)
I’ve just had a quick check on this website and apparently N26 isn’t with cifas

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/na...tabase-members
Well gee I wonder why...

"N26 has closed its business in the UK and all bank accounts are closed."

https://n26.com/en-gb
j25_8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Well gee I wonder why...

"N26 has closed its business in the UK and all bank accounts are closed."

https://n26.com/en-gb
Ohhhh my bad. I was wondering why i hadn’t heard anything abt them in a while🤣but yh im not sure

Pockit also works with cifas I’ve just checked now so I’m not sure about what you can do from here OP except possibly talk to student finance but idk if this would disqualify you from taking out a loan with them ngl. All they want is a bank account that belongs to you for them to put the money into
Rxht6
Rep:
(Original post by j25_8)
The police could maybe write you a report or a statement detailing that you gave up your account under duress? The report should include details of what they did specifically so that it’s clear the only reason you gave it up is that you didn’t want to bring harm to yourself or whoever lives with you. I’m pretty sure a letter of this kind is called a “police report” but I’m not sure if they do them here in the uk, so you should absolutely ask the officer that you’re in contact with if they can do that for you.

The good ending of doing this will be where cifas accepts the police report, affirms that you didn’t deliberately use your account for a fraudulent purpose and either removes the marker or (more likely) knocks the severity of the marker down to a cat 2 which is reserved for those who experience:

“2 Victim of Impersonation -- Use, by another person, of this name and/or address”

The bad ending though would probably be cifas going: “we understand that, but you still did break the terms and conditions of the bank you were with and that does still mean that you are culpable enough that the cifas marker should remain on your credit report for the protection of other banks and their clients”. Another issue i can see happening would be that they might not accept a police report alone, and might choose to wait until one of the ppl who threatened you is actually convicted of threatening you before they consider your proof to be objective

The thing that you really need to focus on rn is pushing the police to assist you however they can either by reaching a conviction or helping you liaise with cifas as thoroughly as possible so that the marker affects you as minimally as it can
Do you have any advice to dispute the marker? In terms of finding legal aid, etc as I’m only a sixth form student who works part time
SuckUrMomma
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rxht6)
Do you have any advice to dispute the marker? In terms of finding legal aid, etc as I’m only a sixth form student who works part time
PaySend or TransferWise (Wise) aren’t with cifas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads