The Student Room Group

Cambridge International AS and A Level History (9489)

Hi! I am preparing for the Cambridge A level History paper on my own and I just realised something yesterday that seems too good to be true. I have chosen the European Option which includes four topics: France, Russia, Germany and Britain.

The following is an excerpt from the syllabus 'Topics within each of the AS options rotate year-on-year so that one topic is assessed via Paper 1 and the remaining three via Paper 2. The prescribed topic for Paper 1 in any given year is not assessed within Paper 2 for that year. Therefore, each topic will be the prescribed topic for Paper 1 every four years.

'For this year, Russia is the topic for Paper 1 and the other three is assessed in Paper 2. Looking at the papers, I realised that in Paper 2 you always get an option of 2 from the 3 topics. Does this mean that instead of studying all four topics, I can simply study Russia and then choose 2 from France, Germany and Britain?

This option is not mentioned explicitly anywhere in the syllabus, guides, or scheme of work and so I just want to be clear I've understood correctly as I have very limited time to complete my preparation for the May/June series and being able to omit an entire topic would make a huge difference.

Would greatly appreciate if someone could help me out.
Original post by saucepan
Hi! I am preparing for the Cambridge A level History paper on my own and I just realised something yesterday that seems too good to be true. I have chosen the European Option which includes four topics: France, Russia, Germany and Britain.

The following is an excerpt from the syllabus 'Topics within each of the AS options rotate year-on-year so that one topic is assessed via Paper 1 and the remaining three via Paper 2. The prescribed topic for Paper 1 in any given year is not assessed within Paper 2 for that year. Therefore, each topic will be the prescribed topic for Paper 1 every four years.

'For this year, Russia is the topic for Paper 1 and the other three is assessed in Paper 2. Looking at the papers, I realised that in Paper 2 you always get an option of 2 from the 3 topics. Does this mean that instead of studying all four topics, I can simply study Russia and then choose 2 from France, Germany and Britain?

This option is not mentioned explicitly anywhere in the syllabus, guides, or scheme of work and so I just want to be clear I've understood correctly as I have very limited time to complete my preparation for the May/June series and being able to omit an entire topic would make a huge difference.

Would greatly appreciate if someone could help me out.

I'm so sorry, it looks like your thread fell into TSR's filter for some reason. :frown:

I've now approved it though. :smile:

What you describe seems correct to me - would you link me to where you saw this and I'm happy to take another look? :biggrin:

Quick Reply