The Student Room Group

Further maths included in 3 A-levels?

Hey,
Ive searched about this and there are mixed answers, are 3 subjects including FM good enough? I’m thinking about taking Economics,Maths and further maths for economics/Finance at top unis like Oxford E&M and Warwick etc.
Taking a 4th subject will be a whole different pain because there won’t be enough time to focus on tough subjects.
Is it good enough and have people gotten in with these?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucifer14
Hey,
Ive searched about this and there are mixed answers, are 3 subjects including FM good enough? I’m thinking about taking Economics,Maths and further maths for economics/Finance at top unis like Oxford E&M and Warwick etc.
Taking a 4th subject will be a whole different pain because there won’t be enough time to focus on tough subjects.
Thanks

Hi, I took 4 a levels in my first year (History, Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science), but found that it was too much work for me and my grades weren't as high as they could have been in my end of year mocks. Got AB in maths and further maths but Cs in history and computer science. Dropped history at the start of this year and my grades have gone up significantly (got A*A*A in my mocks) and have received offers from Durham, Manchester, Lancaster and Leeds. I got rejected from Cambridge, but that was nothing to with my a level choices.
I know a lot of people who do 4 a levels including FM and definitely wouldn't recommend it. The trouble is that FM doesn't have as much content as maths, but its a lot more complicated so you have to go over it constantly and a lot of my friends doing 4 a levels haven't had chance to do this so are now struggling to revise everything before exams start next month. I'd say we're all at a similar level of ability and have all received similar offers despite me only doing 3 a levels.
Overall, don't worry about it too much. If its bothering you, you can always try doing a 4th a level for the first term and then drop it if you feel its too much work. Feel free to message me if you want more info about FM in general (I was very confused before I started lol). Hope this helps
Reply 2
Hey,
Thanks

The 3 subjects are perfectly fine if you want to apply to those courses. The issue comes if you decide later you want to switch to something else as further maths restricts you a fair amount.
Original post by Skiwi
The 3 subjects are perfectly fine if you want to apply to those courses. The issue comes if you decide later you want to switch to something else as further maths restricts you a fair amount.

Please give examples where it would be a problem ...
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Please give examples where it would be a problem ...

If op decided he/she was more interested in a science for example.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Skiwi

A specific problem please? There are extremely few options where FMaths isn't counted as a third A level.
Original post by Skiwi

Which science? I'm not sure it would be a problem. Certainly OP could get into plenty of good engineering degrees, and would be able to do foundation years for other sciences should they develop that interest. I think (but haven't checked that I'm up to date) that a few social science type courses at LSE and possibly some others might be a bit of an issue but mostly not.
Reply 7
Obviously op could do a foundation year if they wanted to make a change, however it isn't something everyone will want to do. My point was that by taking further maths as a 3rd it restricts you more than if you took another subject. If op ends up going for Econ courses then the three subjects are completely fine.
Reply 8
A specific problem please? There are extremely few options where FMaths isn't counted as a third A level.

I never said it wasn't counted as a third A-level. I said if op interests changed that it could limit the amount of courses they could apply to. If op decided they wanted to do physics or certain engineering streams then the lack of physics or chem could be an issue. Someone else has pointed out they could take a foundation year, which is true, but not everyone would want to do one.
I think LSE is the only university that only accepts FM as a fourth A-Level only, and make offers of A*AAE for Economics applicants.

FM isn't really needed for Oxford's course.

Medicine
Original post by Angiogram1
Medicine

OP is clearly not applying to medicine, and couldn't with their subjects anyway.
There are a very few degrees where FM isn't considered a third A level in its own right.

It's more one of those "how sure are you about finance?" questions. You can apply for economics with maths, FM and physics, but you can't apply for physics with maths, FM and economics.
Original post by econhelp525
OP is clearly not applying to medicine, and couldn't with their subjects anyway.

The question was what subject you couldn’t do with further maths as a 3rd a level 🙄 (and actually you could apply to Newcastle to read medicine providing you meet other requirements and didn’t have further maths as your 3rd a level)
(edited 1 year ago)
It's fine unless you're applying to medicine generally (which you aren't) or certain humanities/very qualitative subjects at LSE (e.g. history). Your proposed combination is pretty standard/common for those courses at those unis so you won't have any issues.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think LSE is the only university that only accepts FM as a fourth A-Level only, and make offers of A*AAE for Economics applicants.

FM isn't really needed for Oxford's course.

I think the LSE advice has changed in the last few years. Looking at their admission page (https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information) pretty much every course OP might be interested in at this stage would accept M, FM, AN other.
Reply 16
Hey,
Thanks

Only 5% of people who applied for economics at lse in 2017 got in without any further maths.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/475000/response/1139805/attach/2/FOI%2009Apr2018%20Archit%20Lal%20L101%20AL%20FMaths%202011%2017.xlsx?cookie_passthrough=1

I reckon you should at least try it at AS, and then do the easiest subject in addition like RS
Original post by ajj2000
I think the LSE advice has changed in the last few years. Looking at their admission page (https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information) pretty much every course OP might be interested in at this stage would accept M, FM, AN other.

Ah you're right! That's nice of them.
Yes. There are exceptions - for example Accounting & Finance at LSE (only one I can think of off hand...) but if you want to do Economics you will be fine with this combination.

Speaking very generally this only becomes a problem eg. if you did maths, fm + a non-mathematical subject and wanted to do something related to said non-mathematical subject. Subjects that are very keen on you having advanced maths will take no issue.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ah you're right! That's nice of them.

It changed when A levels were re-jigged and then 'clarified' a couple of years later.

Quick Reply

Latest