The Student Room Group

Rejected from masters

Hey all I’m currently a third year student and I’m applying for my masters. The uni (Middlesex) requires a 2:2 and I average a 2:1 but they rejected my application within 5 days. I meet all of their requirements and I think my personal statement is pretty decent too. I’m so nervous for my other applications as this was literally my last choice due to the low entry requirements. I’m totally hopeless now. Why would a university reject someone so quick?

Edit: They got back to me and said that I was rejected because I won’t be able to reach my career goals after finishing this course/ this isn’t the right course for me.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dzaza234
Hey all I’m currently a third year student and I’m applying for my masters. The uni (Middlesex) requires a 2:2 and I average a 2:1 but they rejected my application within 5 days. I meet all of their requirements and I think my personal statement is pretty decent too. I’m so nervous for my other applications. Why would a university reject someone so quick?

Sorry for rejection.
Although it's kinda weird, not a predictor of other unies responses at all. I would email them, after appreciating their assessment, ask for some feedback to improve my application.
Best of luck in all your efforts!
Reply 2
Original post by Hannane
Sorry for rejection.
Although it's kinda weird, not a predictor of other unies responses at all. I would email them, after appreciating their assessment, ask for some feedback to improve my application.
Best of luck in all your efforts!

Thank you they said they won’t be giving individual feedback due to the volume of applications but most common reason of reject is
a) Your academic profile does not meet our minimum entry requirements.
b) Your personal statement or references were not strong enough.
c) The course is already full.
d) You have insufficient work experience (if required).

I can only assume it’s between B and C. Because the course doesn’t require work experience. Looking back I only put the contact details of my references and I just literally saw that they required the references to be written up and attached to the application I would beat myself up so bad if that was the reason I was rejected😂😂😂 but rejection after 5 days tho!! Sheesh.
Thank you they said they won’t be giving individual feedback due to the volume of applications but most common reason of reject is

I can only assume it’s between B and C. Because the course doesn’t require work experience. Looking back I only put the contact details of my references and I just literally saw that they required the references to be written up and attached to the application I would beat myself up so bad if that was the reason I was rejected😂😂😂 but rejection after 5 days tho!! Sheesh.

That could be it. Quite simply your application wasn’t complete so with so many others to consider they took the easy route.
Reply 4

Ooops! At least now you have a clue about how you could improve your application :| :smile:)))
Hey all I’m currently a third year student and I’m applying for my masters. The uni (Middlesex) requires a 2:2 and I average a 2:1 but they rejected my application within 5 days. I meet all of their requirements and I think my personal statement is pretty decent too. I’m so nervous for my other applications as this was literally my last choice due to the low entry requirements. I’m totally hopeless now. Why would a university reject someone so quick?

Hi, postgrad admissions coordinator here :smile:

Firstly, sorry to hear that you didn’t get an offer. That’s tough news, especially if you exceed the academic requirements.

The reality is that it doesn’t take a huge amount of time to assess a postgrad application. Often we can score an app within half an hour or so, and this could done the day after you submit all the necessary info. Only if you were a middle scoring candidate would you go on hold and be compared to other candidates which would slow things down.

I would encourage you to ask for feedback, they may be able to clarify what areas of the application weren’t what they were looking for.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Hi, postgrad admissions coordinator here :smile:

Firstly, sorry to hear that you didn’t get an offer. That’s tough news, especially if you exceed the academic requirements.

The reality is that it doesn’t take a huge amount of time to assess a postgrad application. Often we can score an app within half an hour or so, and this could done the day after you submit all the necessary info. Only if you were a middle scoring candidate would you go on hold and be compared to other candidates which would slow things down.

I would encourage you to ask for feedback, they may be able to clarify what areas of the application weren’t what they were looking for.

Hey there and thanks for the reply. They said “due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to give individual feedback”. Do you think it’s still worth asking even if they said that they won’t give individual feedback?
Hey there and thanks for the reply. They said “due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to give individual feedback”. Do you think it’s still worth asking even if they said that they won’t give individual feedback?

Given how quickly it was turned around, I would say yes. You can always say something along the lines of, "I'm aware that you don't give specific feedback, but am conscious that I was rejected very quickly and was wondering if you could advise if they was anything that made me an unsuitable candidate?".
I think "due to the volume of applicants" is probably your biggest clue. They had far more applicants than places and yours wasn't one of the strongest few.

Something having few to zero hard requirements can make it much more difficult to get into, because yes you meet all the requirements, but so does everyone else who's looking for something in that area...
Reply 9
when did you apply? If it was very recently, it is pretty late to be applying for masters! In general you should be applying for masters no later than January IMO. I got the majority of mine done in December, some in November, and some early January.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ben3099
when did you apply? If it was very recently, it is pretty late to be applying for masters! In general you should be applying for masters no later than January IMO. I got the majority of mine done in December, some in November, and some early January.

I literally just applied last week. I didn’t even know what masters I wanted to do until late January… But yeah I think I kinda shot myself in the foot here.
Reply 11
Original post by skylark2
I think "due to the volume of applicants" is probably your biggest clue. They had far more applicants than places and yours wasn't one of the strongest few.

Something having few to zero hard requirements can make it much more difficult to get into, because yes you meet all the requirements, but so does everyone else who's looking for something in that area...

Ah then that leaves me totally hopeless for my other applications lol
It's still possible to apply for a master's degree in other universities, but you have to do them ASAP. Do you have other universities in mind?
Reply 13
Ah then that leaves me totally hopeless for my other applications lol

Have a look at Nottingham Trent. When I did my masters think I applied in June and got a place to start in that September. There's definitely other uni's and courses still out there! Good luck!

Other people had already pointed some reasons, but I just wanna say that I feel so much for you! I know how important this type of "academic validation" is. But this really doesn't mean anything. I got rejected by Edinburgh, and WITH THE SAME PERSONAL STATEMENT, I got into Cambridge, LSE, Glasgow, Bristol and Queen Mary. So, there's nothing wrong with you, trust me...
Also, right now you are not seeing, but when your time comes, you will understand why you didn't succeed in this opportunity
Reply 15
Original post by stevenball
It's still possible to apply for a master's degree in other universities, but you have to do them ASAP. Do you have other universities in mind?

Not a lot of university’s have the course that I want to do but I’m just looking into completely changing the course and my life plan now lol! I’ve applied to other universities for the course I want but haven’t heard back yet so in the mean time I’ll just apply for another course somewhere else.
Reply 16
Original post by Hcc24
Have a look at Nottingham Trent. When I did my masters think I applied in June and got a place to start in that September. There's definitely other uni's and courses still out there! Good luck!

I would have LOVEDDD to go to NTU but they don’t have the course I want there :frown: however I will still apply to it just with a different course as a back up!!
Thank you so much
Reply 17
Original post by beatrizfs
Other people had already pointed some reasons, but I just wanna say that I feel so much for you! I know how important this type of "academic validation" is. But this really doesn't mean anything. I got rejected by Edinburgh, and WITH THE SAME PERSONAL STATEMENT, I got into Cambridge, LSE, Glasgow, Bristol and Queen Mary. So, there's nothing wrong with you, trust me...
Also, right now you are not seeing, but when your time comes, you will understand why you didn't succeed in this opportunity

Thank you so much !!! I really needed to hear this
Not a lot of university’s have the course that I want to do but I’m just looking into completely changing the course and my life plan now lol! I’ve applied to other universities for the course I want but haven’t heard back yet so in the mean time I’ll just apply for another course somewhere else.

Definitely apply for more. At least then you'll have more options. I recently applied to 8 unis for my postgrad, though it was definitely an overkill.

If may just be them having too many applications. Keep your hopes up though surely you'll get another offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending