What is a secondary alkene?

Watch this thread
Mad Man
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
See linkName:  Screenshot 2022-04-02 at 15-10-50 Online Edition - Digital Access.png
Views: 25
Size:  14.4 KB
BlueChicken
Name:  Screenshot 2022-04-02 at 15-16-07 Online Edition - Digital Access.png
Views: 24
Size:  66.6 KB
Last edited by Mad Man; 4 months ago
Mad Man
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Can anyone help?
wowee10
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
basically a secondary alkene is an alkene where the double bond between carbon atoms has two alkyl group on the carbon attached
Last edited by wowee10; 4 months ago
Mad Man
Rep:
(Original post by wowee10)
basically a secondary alkene is an alkene where the double bond between carbon atoms has two alkyl group on the carbon attached
Can you draw it for me?
What is the meaning of the first pic?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mad Man)
Can anyone help?
The "Tip" as stated is nonsense - probably a typo.

You are not "using" an alkene, you are producing an alkene by elimination. It should say an "asymmetrical secondary haloalkane".

What it is trying to say is that you could have the bromine in such a position that elimination could produce two different alkenes.

CH3CHBrCH2CH3 can make both CH2=CHCH2CH3 and CH3CH=CHCH3
Mad Man
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
The "Tip" as stated is nonsense - probably a typo.

You are not "using" an alkene, you are producing an alkene by elimination. It should say an "asymmetrical secondary haloalkane".

What it is trying to say is that you could have the bromine in such a position that elimination could produce two different alkenes.

CH3CHBrCH2CH3 can make both CH2=CHCH2CH3 and CH3CH=CHCH3
I see. I understand but I now fear that my source material is unreliable.
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mad Man)
I see. I understand but I now fear that my source material is unreliable.
I have yet to read a chemistry book that was 100% without typos.
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Sorry for late reply - agree with charco, it’s an alkene/alkane typo. I have looked at that section in the book and all the examples are an alkane (actually all halogenoalkanes) undergoing nucleophilic substitution or elimination (which is the point of that section).

The example at the end of the “Tip” is describing an alkane to alkene reaction, which further confirms the typo.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by charco)
I have yet to read a chemistry book that was 100% without typos.
:lol:
Mad Man
Rep:
Well thanks guys for preventing me from putting invalid notes in my flashcards!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
28.85%
Take a gap year (16)
15.38%
Resit my exams (28)
26.92%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (15)
14.42%
I don't know yet (10)
9.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.81%

Watched Threads