The Student Room Group

No friends at uni, 2nd year

I understand that anyone who started uni during the pandemic had a bit of a **** first year and so I've tried really hard this year.

I tried going to at least 2 societies a week, I tried having conversations but I guess I'm just not very memorable. I have one term of my second year left and I just feel lost.

My social skills aren't amazing but I've been trying really hard. Eye contact, asking questions and stuff. I know that I can't force any friendships. Idk maybe I'm missing stuff.

I remember my first in person class of the year. It was really awkward for everyone but by the time the next week rolled around everyone was talking, touching and hugging each other like they'd been friends for years. I was so confused and really panicked. I felt like even more of an outsider.

I tried really hard not to let it bother me, I'm trying really hard to stay positive and just smile. It's just really hard. I feel like giving up a lot.

On the brightside, I go outside a lot more and my body is a lot healthier. The 'not really having any friends thing weighs on me a lot.

My housemates are really nice people and I like them a lot but they, naturally, are very busy people, with their own lives and their own friends. I do feel a bit guilty relying on them.

Maybe it will get better, maybe I just need to focus on other things.
Hi. I advise you not to dwell on it. Get more exercise, develop, read. Friends will make themselves. You don't have to make them, as you rightly said.
Original post by Anonymous
I understand that anyone who started uni during the pandemic had a bit of a **** first year and so I've tried really hard this year.

I tried going to at least 2 societies a week, I tried having conversations but I guess I'm just not very memorable. I have one term of my second year left and I just feel lost.

My social skills aren't amazing but I've been trying really hard. Eye contact, asking questions and stuff. I know that I can't force any friendships. Idk maybe I'm missing stuff.

I remember my first in person class of the year. It was really awkward for everyone but by the time the next week rolled around everyone was talking, touching and hugging each other like they'd been friends for years. I was so confused and really panicked. I felt like even more of an outsider.

I tried really hard not to let it bother me, I'm trying really hard to stay positive and just smile. It's just really hard. I feel like giving up a lot.

On the brightside, I go outside a lot more and my body is a lot healthier. The 'not really having any friends thing weighs on me a lot.

My housemates are really nice people and I like them a lot but they, naturally, are very busy people, with their own lives and their own friends. I do feel a bit guilty relying on them.

Maybe it will get better, maybe I just need to focus on other things.

Hi there,
I am sorry to hear you have had difficulty with making friends, I am also in my second year so I completely understand how difficult it was to start out without that initial chance to meet your classmates and I know it can be really daunting to go into a class where you don't feel like you really know anyone.
From what you said it sounds like you are already putting in a lot of effort to meet people such as by joining societies, and I think it is good that you have tried this as being proactive is a great start to meeting people. However, I do agree with what you have said that sometimes you just have to let people and friendships come to you naturally and perhaps if you try not to focus so much on the difficulty you are having with making friends, you may find it easier to be your self around others and be more open to let them get to know you.
If you have not yet, I would suggest trying to message some of the people on your course and just see if they would be interested in meeting up with you outside of class. I think you may find there are other people who have been feeling similar, and who would be really happy to make a new friend in you. Most people really like the idea of getting to know someone new!
I also think it is completely okay to spend time with your housemates, and if you feel able to, perhaps you could let them know you are struggling with feeling lonely. They may even introduce you to some of their friends, and this could be a really nice way for you to integrate into a new group of people.
Are you still continuing with societies?
Anna (2nd year Fashion Design student)
Reply 3
Yeah I was about to give up but I have no lectures/seminars next term (just exams) so I'll have plenty of time to go more often.

Quick Reply

Latest