The Student Room Group

How do I revise for GCSE English literature?

I think I’m good with how to revise for poetry though any advice would still be helpful, but I have no idea how to revise the books (Romeo & Juliet and lord of the flies), do I make Flashcards with quotes or do posters or something else and I’m not really sure whether to do like themes and characters or like chapter by chapter or something instead maybe? Also does anyone have any good free resources for them?
Original post by Random11_206
I think I’m good with how to revise for poetry though any advice would still be helpful, but I have no idea how to revise the books (Romeo & Juliet and lord of the flies), do I make Flashcards with quotes or do posters or something else and I’m not really sure whether to do like themes and characters or like chapter by chapter or something instead maybe? Also does anyone have any good free resources for them?

What you want to do to familiarise yourself completely with the text is simple.

1. First, listen to an audiobook of the text casually. This is the more inexpensive and least time-consuming thing you can do to wrap your head around the plot of the text, and it helps you pick out key language features that you might not be able to pick up upon reading the text. hearing and speaking are two of the best methods of revision!

2. then you want to listen to it again, this time with your text on hand with numerous different coloured highlighters for the most important themes (http://msfaughnan.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/4/2/29429815/romeo_and_juliet_character.ppt) of the text (physics and maths tutor says the ones for R+J are Fate and Freewill, Gender Roles, Isolation, Love, Oppositions, Violence and Conflict). Pick out the quotations that stick with you the most, and also ones that overlap in themes (this is so that it's easier to remember quotations for multiple themes). I suggest you have about 20-25 that you can recall from memory.

3. As already stated, you must be able to know how each character in both texts. What themes do they present or contribute to? How do they change as characters over the breadth of the text? Do they experience a realization?

4. Find language, form, structure, and literary devices that you could use for ANY question that's thrown at you. You want to be able to be one step of the examiner at all times, So even if there's a question that throws you off, you can have something in your back pocket to use instead.

5. WRITE ESSAYS! AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! (sorry, you really have to. there's no sugarcoating it.)

6. Most importantly, don't overload yourself with information. Doing large amounts of extensive revision and note-taking and then doing nothing for three weeks isn't going to help you at all! Instead, take your revision slow and steady, dedicating about 1.5 hours a day of just note compilation and familiarisation with the text. You don't want to end up feeling like doing English Lit is a task, so try to make something fun out of it (e.g. In preparing for my GCSE English Lit exam, I read copious amounts of An Inspector Calls fanfiction, poorly written or otherwise, so that I had a friendly relationship with the text before doing any exam. I ended up achieving a grade 8, so I'd like to think that it helped?)

In terms of resources, Mr. Bruff is your best friend. His videos are relatively short and go through everything you need and more to revise (very good for last-minute recaps as well). roam Quizlet for pre-made quotation banks and critics and you're good to go :smile:

Another good video I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIdKZ0PDt2w

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending