Turn on thread page Beta

Interesting, depressing thought watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Concorde. The only aircraft mankind has put enough effort into to make supersonic without the intention of killing.

ReputationRep:
    Who Gives A Toss About That. If Man Could Invent An Object That Could Travel Faster Than The Speed Of Light, Do You Realise The Enormous Ubeleivably Fantastic, Importance Of That. It Would Be Truly Unbeleivable. You Could Travel Backwards In Time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_mate)
    Who Gives A Toss About That. If Man Could Invent An Object That Could Travel Faster Than The Speed Of Light, Do You Realise The Enormous Ubeleivably Fantastic, Importance Of That. It Would Be Truly Unbeleivable. You Could Travel Backwards In Time
    Of course I realise the importance of it. But it's not going to happen in your or my life time so lets leave it in the realms of sci-fi where it belongs.

PS Why Does Every Word You Type Start With A Upper-Case Letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Of course I realise the importance of it. But it's not going to happen in your or my life time so lets leave it in the realms of sci-fi where it belongs.

PS Why Does Every Word You Type Start With A Upper-Case Letter?
    Because he's always typing in caps lock, but the forum changes it just to caps letter for thse start of each word.

ReputationRep:
    Sarcastically <Or maybe its just because he is 'cool'mate.>

ReputationRep:
    you cant travel faster than light :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    you cant travel faster than light :rolleyes:
    Correctamundo it is physically and hypothetically impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)
    Why?
    because it requires energy to accelerate. as you travel faster, your mass increases, so it requires more energy to accelerate you. as you approach the speed of light, your mass (and therefore the energy required to accelerate you) tends towards infinity. now, id like to know where youre going to get an infinitely large source of energy from?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, just needed to know.

But from a "please don't shout at me, I'm learning" point of view, we're just thinking of energies on the same scale; what if we discovered a way of controlling vast amounts of energy that could actually provide the means to travel at the speed of light?

ReputationRep:
    Again I must apologize for the stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)
    Fair enough, just needed to know.

But from a "please don't shout at me, I'm learning" point of view, we're just thinking of energies on the same scale; what if we discovered a way of controlling vast amounts of energy that could actually provide the means to travel at the speed of light?
    infinity is bigger than 'vast amounts'. in fact its bigger than all finite amounts, its in-finite

ReputationRep:
    Surely there's a limit since the speed of light is fixed?

ReputationRep:
    because it requires energy to accelerate. as you travel faster, your mass increases, so it requires more energy to accelerate you. as you approach the speed of light, your mass (and therefore the energy required to accelerate you) tends towards infinity. now, id like to know where youre going to get an infinitely large source of energy from?
    Huh, does this mean that fat people are fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Huh, does this mean that fat people are fast?
    lol interesting reasoning there. the mass only increases significantly at very fast speeds (say around 1/3 the speed of light)

ReputationRep:
    lol interesting reasoning there. the mass only increases significantly at very fast speeds (say around 1/3 the speed of light)
    That's how fast I eat, it's true my mass has grown!!!

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, the speed of light (3E8 metres per second) is the average speed photons travel at. Hence there are photons that travel faster than this average, and therefore there are things that move faster than the speed of light.

ReputationRep:
    you wouldn't travel back in time, you would cross over to imaginary time. perpendicular to the normal time axis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    it is possible, there are plenty of particles that travel faster than light. It is impossible to cross the light barrier. If you travel slower than light, you cant travel faster. if you travel faster, you can't travel slower.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Tednol, you studying in Manchester too?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.