The Student Room Group

GCSE Blood brothers advice

Hi, so I done a past paper on Blood Brothers for GCSE and i really need help on it. English literature is my weakest subject and whenever I have to answer a question or anything for English literature i stress out so if any somebody could please give advice on how to improve this response and possibly the grade it may be worth it would be really helpful Thank you. This is the question

What kind of mother does Russell show Mrs Johnstone to be in Blood Brothers?
Write about:
what Mrs Johnstone says and does in the play
how Russell presents Mrs Johnstone by the ways he writes
30 marks

In Blood brothers Russell shows Mrs Johnstone to be a strong and determined mother who loves her children very much. Mrs Johnstone has had a very hard life trying to provide for her family and Russell shows this throughout the play about how hard it is being in lower class and being a single mother during this time. During the 1960s sex before marriage was not socially acceptable so she got married and her husband than left leaving her a single mother, but everyone still looked down and at these people making it even harder for Mrs Johnston . Russell presents Mrs Johnstone as a strong and determined mother an example of this is shown when she was continuously trying to persuade Mrs Lyons that she could be “back on my feet workin the next day y know” after just delivering her babies as she refused to miss any work as she needed this job for her family. “I love this job, y’know. We can just manage to get by now” This suggests that Mrs Johnstone loves her children so much and is so determined to keep her job that she is willing to work after just having a baby. The repetition on the word “y, know” indicates that she is desperately trying to prove her point and trying to make sure it is fully understood she can work.

Russell presents Mrs Johnstone as a caring and loving mother who is raising her children by herself and providing for them. Mrs Johnstone is the representation of mothers In lower class families and how she loves her children and want to do everything for them, but can sometimes be vulnerable which can lead to people manipulating her. An example of this is how her superstitious beliefs can make her vulnerable, a time this has happened in the play was when Mrs Lyons invents the superstition that the boys will die if they ever find out they’re twins. Mrs Johnstone believes this instantly and it frightens her from taking Edward back or telling anyone the deal they made. Mrs Johnstone’s superstitious belief left her vulnerable which gave Mrs Lyon power over her.

In conclusion Mrs Johnstone was a mother who is trapped by poverty but is a strong and determined mother who “loves the bone of every one of them”. Russell presents her as a sympathetic character who always wants the best for her children.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I think your context/wider ideas is strong, however I think an improvement would be to use quotes in which you can really probe the language, thinking about why the author chose that specific word, and look at the layers of meaning of it.
Reply 2
Original post by 07060
I think your context/wider ideas is strong, however I think an improvement would be to use quotes in which you can really probe the language, thinking about why the author chose that specific word, and look at the layers of meaning of it.

I will try that, Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest