english lit a level advice wanted

Watch this thread
iheartpasta444
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
hi there,
i’m new to this app.
i’m currently in year 13 and i’m taking a-level english literature (AQA) and i’ve been struggling to get anything higher than a C grade but i’m aiming to get an A/A* in the actual exams. does anyone happen to have any tips / suggestions?

also, i’ve only been able to find practice papers for the unseen texts , are there any website recommendations for the other types of questions?

the texts i’m studying are:
- handmaids tale + streetcar (together)
- othello
- feminine gospels
- love through the ages (poetry collection) + the great gatsby (together)
LoverOfBooks
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I'm in Year 13 doing English Lit as well. I do 'The Handmaid's Tale', 'The Kite Runner', 'Blake Poetry', 'Othello', 'Death of a Salesman', and 'Keats Poetry'.
For poetry, particularly the Blake poetry, which has around 30 poems, we've all been told to split each into themes that potential questions could be on, so things like 'Blake as the champion of freedom' or 'the abuses of the education system' and then create a hierarchy of poems, which can be used in each section, and then basically forget about the poems that have limited use.
I don't know how it works for you, but for me, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is open book, so most of my revision for that is remembering key scenes that I can use to make things quicker in the exam. So, for example if it was a question on rebels, then I'd turn to Offred talking about Moira's escape from the Rachel and Leah Centre.
Most of my 'Othello' revision is making essay plans and learning quotes related to themes, like 'the role of women' or 'Othello as a tragic hero'. I have many debate essay example questions if you wanted me to put any on here?
iheartpasta444
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
that’s extremely helpful, thank you. and the essay example questions would be v helpful! thanks again. )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads