The Student Room Group

Gsce grades for medicine

Hey guys,I am going to be doing my gsce in the next couple of months and I wanted to ask if i get these grades would I be able to get accepted DUE TO MY GSCE GRADES .I KNOW ITS ABOUT YOUR A-LEVEL GRADE AND B-MAT AND UCAS.i JUST WANT TO KNOW.
Maths-7
English-66
Combined science-88
French-5
History-8
Geography-8
Re-7
Reply 1
@TriplexA sounds like your kind of q !
Original post by kayla306
Hey guys,I am going to be doing my gsce in the next couple of months and I wanted to ask if i get these grades would I be able to get accepted DUE TO MY GSCE GRADES .I KNOW ITS ABOUT YOUR A-LEVEL GRADE AND B-MAT AND UCAS.i JUST WANT TO KNOW.
Maths-7
English-66
Combined science-88
French-5
History-8
Geography-8
Re-7

Can i get into St-geogres,Queen marys,king college and imperial college?

Thanks for the tag @aliaa03 :smile:

Med schools don't look at predicted GCSE grades as you'll have your actual ones when you apply. Your predictions do look good though but please don't cut back on studying due to this!

No one can guarantee if you can get a place from them as medicine is highly competitive and so many candidates have the same if not better GCSE grades. It also depends on where med schools place their emphasis for the selection process too (UCAT/BMAT, GCSEs, A levels etc.).

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

You can check the unis individual entry criteria with the link above. I think all will need English and Maths at a minimum of a grade 6 though.

My advice would be to focus on your GCSEs for now as applications are still a while away.
Good luck! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Maths-7
English-66
Combined science-88
French-5
History-8
Geography-8
Re-7

It's not "just" about A-levels/BMAT and UCAS. Different medical schools have different admissions criteria and ways of assessing students. Some put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs (e.g. Oxford, formerly Cardiff as well, and others which I can't recall) while others put little or no emphasis on GCSEs, to the point of not even scoring them as long as you have minimum grades in English/Maths/Science (e.g. Imperial, and to an extent Cambridge). Also bear in mind not all UK medical schools use the BMAT and many (most I think) use the UCAT.

If you get those GCSE results then you should be fine for medical schools that don't put a great deal of emphasis on GCSEs. I would not recommend applying somewhere very GCSE heavy like Oxford unless you got all 8s/9s though. For places like Imperial which just require minimum grades in certain subjects you would have no problem if you met the A-level requirements and did well in any admissions assessments.
Maths-7
English-66
Combined science-88
French-5
History-8
Geography-8
Re-7

We really don't need the shouty demanding capitals, Kayla.
Original post by Reality Check
We really don't need the shouty demanding capitals, Kayla.

I put it in capitals,so you don't take me out of context.

Definitely not kcl. They’re holistic and quite GCSE heavy.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Definitely not kcl. They’re holistic and quite GCSE heavy.

What gsce grades,do i have to have?
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
It's not "just" about A-levels/BMAT and UCAS. Different medical schools have different admissions criteria and ways of assessing students. Some put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs (e.g. Oxford, formerly Cardiff as well, and others which I can't recall) while others put little or no emphasis on GCSEs, to the point of not even scoring them as long as you have minimum grades in English/Maths/Science (e.g. Imperial, and to an extent Cambridge). Also bear in mind not all UK medical schools use the BMAT and many (most I think) use the UCAT.

If you get those GCSE results then you should be fine for medical schools that don't put a great deal of emphasis on GCSEs. I would not recommend applying somewhere very GCSE heavy like Oxford unless you got all 8s/9s though. For places like Imperial which just require minimum grades in certain subjects you would have no problem if you met the A-level requirements and did well in any admissions assessments.

Wait imperial don’t put too much emphasis on GCSEs? If you have like 3 A*s achieved by resitting. Will Imperial or other universities take into consideration of the applicants GCSEs? And not give an offer based on their GCSEs heavily?
(edited 2 years ago)

are these all in london for a reason? geography should be one of the factors you consider last when picking medical schools btw and prestige means nothing for medicine as well
For kcl, will need stronger GCSEs as they use this for interview selection.
Pretty sure for QMUL you need 777666 but for St. George’s and imperial they are fine
Original post by PastelColours
For kcl, will need stronger GCSEs as they use this for interview selection.
Pretty sure for QMUL you need 777666 but for St. George’s and imperial they are fine

Do i not have ,that already?I have lots of 7 and 6 and a few 8

might need to be in specific subjects eg. English and maths. have a Google for the unis websites as they're the best source out there

I was just telling you the info without looking at ur GCSEs so yes you have the grades for QMUL. QMUL use your ucas tariff as a huge part of selection so make sure to have a search about that
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aliaa03
why do you need to point out they keep saying GSCE like it’s some extremely stupid thing to do. it’s a spelling mistake and maybe english isn’t their first language?

and they’re not a doctor yet before you come back to me with “well they need to learn to communicate better if they’re gonna be a doctor”.

Why are you getting offended over the exposure of a spelling mistake? It was repeated a few times so a typo can be ruled out and non-native speakers can still spell acronyms correctly.

SGUL: ”5 grade Bs including English language, maths and triple /Double.” yes you can apply here.

Queen Mary’s: ”777666 including maths, English Language, biology, chem” - yes you can apply here.

Kings: ”grade B in English and maths” - yes you can apply here.

ICL: ”grade B in English language” - yes you can apply here.

When I say that “you can apply here” - I mean that you stand a chance, it doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed a place. Medicine is generally competitive so aim to get much higher than these requirements.

From your original post, you seem to know that it’s dependant on a holistic approach (I.e UCAT, interviews, A-levels, personal statement and BMAT).

It took me 5 mins to research about this but I hope it helped you.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest