The Student Room Group

Architecture

Hi. I want to do architecture at uni but i dont do physics/maths, I only do art, sociology and geography. Is it hard to get into a good university without those subjects? Thank you.
Original post by lockets
Hi. I want to do architecture at uni but i dont do physics/maths, I only do art, sociology and geography. Is it hard to get into a good university without those subjects? Thank you.

There is no simple definition of "a good university". Let's assume that those ranked in the top five by the Complete University Guide are "good" by some standard. See https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/architecture for that list. (I'm not recommending this particular league table, or any league table, here by the way.)

Here's what those five say in terms of subject requirements at A level (the emphasis is mine).

University of Cambridge: "All College require: No specific subjects required by all Colleges" / "Some Colleges require: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics or Physics; A Level/IB Higher Level in an essay-based subject."

University of Bath: "Your entry qualifications should ideally include Mathematics and/or Physics, together with an art or design subject. Study in an essay-based subject may also be beneficial as a third subject, although typically this will only be the case when studied alongside Mathematics or Physics, and an art or design subject."

Loughborough University: "No specific subject requirements but a mix of Science, Art and Humanities subjects is preferred."

UCL (University College London): "No specific subjects."

Cardiff University: (No details provided as to specific subjects.)

I realise that your question was "Is it hard to get into a good university without those subjects?" It would seem unreasonable for a university to prefer particular subjects (thus making it hard to gain entry if you don't have them) if they don't express that preference in their official entry requirements.
Original post by lockets

No it's not hard. The majority of architecture courses don't require maths and physics - only Bath, some Cambridge colleges and Strathclyde prefer/require maths or physics. That leaves a lot of good options for you (in no particular order) - Sheffield, Cardiff, UCL, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Loughborough, UAL, Oxford Brookes, etc. etc.
Some universities will require particular subjects and grades but a lot of universities just have the grade based entry requirements from any subject as well as a portfolio of work and possible interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending