The Student Room Group

Sixth Form

Hi, I just moved to London from India last week and I'm looking for admission into a sixth form (September 2022) but all the applications seem to be closed. Half the schools don't respond to the emails we send them and the other half have too many applicants already. Is there something I can do about this? I'm a bit overwhelmed honestly.
Original post by canwine45
Is there something I can do about this?

Keep doing what you're doing. If they don't respond via e-mail, call them up. Do you have any compelling reason why they should accept a late application?

None of the schools or colleges local to me are sill accepting applications into the Sixth Form, with applications having closed about sixth months ago. It's all a bit late, I'm afraid.

You might find that some have a waiting list. Perhaps spaces will become available on GCSE results day, if students who have been provisionally accepted don't meet their entry requirements?

What part of London are you in?
By pure chance, I stumbled across a sixth form (attached to a school), whilst looking for something else, which might work for you. It could be the wrong side of London for you, but the "Admissions policy for September 2022 entry" for King Edward Vi Grammar School in Chelmsford says:

"The morning of the day GCSE results are released at the end of Year 11 is the latest time for receipt of an application if the applicant is to be considered equally alongside all other candidates."

See paragraph 8 (b) of https://www.kegs.org.uk/filedownload/73A739D5-9CC6-5FCC-084FD477A017C057.pdf/admissions-policy-2022.pdf.

Even if that particular school isn't an option (due to location or for other reasons), it might give you hope that there are other schools out there that might have a similar policy.
Chelmsford isn't actually in London (it's a city half an hour or so by train from Liverpool Street, the administrative centre of the county of Essex).

OP, have you tried sixth form colleges, rather than school sixth forms? They tend to have more fluid admissions policies.

For example:
https://www.candi.ac.uk/open-days/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=ORGANIC&utm_campaign=OPEN+DAY+CAMPAIGN&utm_content=MY+BUSINESS+POST

What are you doing with regard to education / registration to sit GCSEs in the meantime? Or do you already have them or an equivalent?
Original post by canwine45
Hi, I just moved to London from India last week and I'm looking for admission into a sixth form (September 2022) but all the applications seem to be closed. Half the schools don't respond to the emails we send them and the other half have too many applicants already. Is there something I can do about this? I'm a bit overwhelmed honestly.

yes its the same problem for me too tho im not in london...my place is manchester and i think i hv applied to almost all the sixth forms here but most of them are rejected
Reply 5
hi i've been trying to contact colleges and i finally got 2 interviews so thats good. Thanks for the help :smile:
Hiii may i know what you did for the colleges to give you an interview? Like did u show any other documents or what?
Helloooo please replyyyyy cuz this is very urgent
Reply 8
Original post by Katisdumb
Hiii may i know what you did for the colleges to give you an interview? Like did u show any other documents or what?

hi sorry for the late reply but i didn't need to show them any other documents other than my final grades which i'd already gotten. Its a private college and luckily they had an international programme for students who were moving from abroad so all I had to do was call them and we arranged a meeting.
Ok thank you so much😊😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending