how to prepare for english lit and history GCSE

Watch this thread
Supremolga
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
hello! im just wondering the best way to prepare for english lit - im studying macbeth and my gcse is in a few weeks and i havent read it yet, i was wondering if anyone could provide some information about it? also my history course is so long, is gcse pod a good revision resource? i usually get 8s in history and english so im not slacking off, i just got a bit overwhelmed
2020suks
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hello, as someone who got a 9 in Eng lit, lemme drop a few tips.
1. Actually read macbeth, if ur a quick reader, it will take u Maximum 3 days. U need a good idea of how the plot plays out bfr u write any 34 mark essays on the thing.
2. Character Portfolios. What u wanna do now is pick the main protagonists in the play, i.e, lady macbeth, macbeth, macduff, banquo etc. and write down quotes from them. These quotes have to portray their personality, their traits, and their views etc. These quotes should also, to some extent, reflect the main themes of the play

3. Now do the same thing but with themes. What themes are present within the play? Make a separate page each about these different themes, with events and quotes to back up that theme.
4.Practice ur essay structure. Srsly, my friends were stuck on 6's and 7's whilst i was on 8's and 9's bcs they had horrible essay structure. What they wrote was right, it was just not in enough detail.

There should be an opening paragraph, summarising both parts of what the question is asking (like how two themes in the play are presented, or how one character differs from another) This opening should be supported by at least two quotes and a bit of waffle.

Then, 4 paragraphs comparing the two things, and each paragraph itself should have structure. Start off with ur point, support with a quote, comment on the literary devices in the quote and the effect the quote has on the reader. Then, comment on some contextual references (what was going on in shakespeares life whilst he wrote the play? etc) and then, end the paragraph by linking it to the question. Repeat this structure for all ur paragraphs then ur final paragraph should be ur conclusion. Give a sentence or two on ur opinion, add 2 quotes, and give, again, a summary of what u said in the last 5 paragraphs. Ur essay should at least be two sides long if ur going for 8's

Now heres a basic summary of macbeth:
Macbeths this lord that gets told by some witches in a weird forest hes gonna be king, but then he'll be overthrown and killed by someone who wasnt born from their mothers womb. He wants to avoid that, so he goes on a killing rampage, his wife goes mad and dies, and all is going pretty swell for macbeth, besides the fact hes getting hallucinations and haunted by his best friend, who he had killed. He then ends up getting killed by some guy called Duncan (i think) who was cut from his mother's stomach rather than being pushed out of his mothers womb for health reasons. Happily ever after, the end.

i cant help u with history cause i nvr took it, but i hope that helps u for english.
Supremolga
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by 2020suks)
1. Actually read macbeth, if ur a quick reader, it will take u Maximum 3 days. U need a good idea of how the plot plays out bfr u write any 34 mark essays on the thing.
2. Character Portfolios. What u wanna do now is pick the main protagonists in the play, i.e, lady macbeth, macbeth, macduff, banquo etc. and write down quotes from them. These quotes have to portray their personality, their traits, and their views etc. These quotes should also, to some extent, reflect the main themes of the play

3. Now do the same thing but with themes. What themes are present within the play? Make a separate page each about these different themes, with events and quotes to back up that theme.
4.Practice ur essay structure. Srsly, my friends were stuck on 6's and 7's whilst i was on 8's and 9's bcs they had horrible essay structure. What they wrote was right, it was just not in enough detail.

There should be an opening paragraph, summarising both parts of what the question is asking (like how two themes in the play are presented, or how one character differs from another) This opening should be supported by at least two quotes and a bit of waffle.

Then, 4 paragraphs comparing the two things, and each paragraph itself should have structure. Start off with ur point, support with a quote, comment on the literary devices in the quote and the effect the quote has on the reader. Then, comment on some contextual references (what was going on in shakespeares life whilst he wrote the play? etc) and then, end the paragraph by linking it to the question. Repeat this structure for all ur paragraphs then ur final paragraph should be ur conclusion. Give a sentence or two on ur opinion, add 2 quotes, and give, again, a summary of what u said in the last 5 paragraphs. Ur essay should at least be two sides long if ur going for 8's

Macbeths this lord that gets told by some witches in a weird forest hes gonna be king, but then he'll be overthrown and killed by someone who wasnt born from their mothers womb. He wants to avoid that, so he goes on a killing rampage, his wife goes mad and dies, and all is going pretty swell for macbeth, besides the fact hes getting hallucinations and haunted by his best friend, who he had killed. He then ends up getting killed by some guy called Duncan (i think) who was cut from his mother's stomach rather than being pushed out of his mothers womb for health reasons. Happily ever after, the end.

i cant help u with history cause i nvr took it, but i hope that helps u for english.
bro this is so helpful - im a really fast reader so i recon ill have read it by saturday!!!
2020suks
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Supremolga)
bro this is so helpful - im a really fast reader so i recon ill have read it by saturday!!!
ahaha, no probs
if u want some help with essay writing, my dm's r open xx
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 2020suks)

for social historical context, where would you actually find that? i'm not a historian so i do struggle with general knowledge! any websites that you think are useful??
2020suks
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)
for social historical context, where would you actually find that? i'm not a historian so i do struggle with general knowledge! any websites that you think are useful??
Ok so that's something ur teacher should be giving u. I never listened to a word he said, mainly cause he was a waffler. The only time i listened was when he talked about the context, cause that stuff is hard to find and the stuff u find is not vry relevant.

I would recommend youtube videos that talk about the play, novel etc like Mr Bruff etc. U can also find some context from revision guides. U dont need to buy one, just borrow one from ur school library, im sure they'd have a revision guide. Then, take pics or make notes of the context, then put that into ur essay.

Also another (unethical) tip is to lie. I lied about Christianity in my Romeo and Juliet Essay, I said something like how Odd days in Christianity are considered evil, and how Shakespeare challenged the views of the people at that time by creating a character that was seemingly bad luck, but turned out to be the bravest of them all (i basically waffled).

If ur rly stuck, ur teacher is ur best bet. They will probably have powerpoints about context, notes or something and im sure they'd be more than willing to give them to u

If u need anymore help, or general advice, dms r open.
Ambiguous Super
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Supremolga)
hello! im just wondering the best way to prepare for english lit - im studying macbeth and my gcse is in a few weeks and i havent read it yet, i was wondering if anyone could provide some information about it? also my history course is so long, is gcse pod a good revision resource? i usually get 8s in history and english so im not slacking off, i just got a bit overwhelmed
Hi!

PM me I took history
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
31.43%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
37.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (4)
5.71%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.29%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.71%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.43%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads