The Student Room Group

Will NAT 5 maths matter for what I want to do?

My National 5's are really soon. I am doing English, Maths, Administration, Art & Design, Design & Manufacture, Graphic Communications and Practical Cookery, all at nat 5 level.
I believe for every subject except maths, I am looking at an A or, worst case, B. I've been working hard for all of my subjects, including maths, however it is just not my thing. I've been putting in so much study for little return, and I don't think I'm passing it.
My maths prelim result, my only fail, was a 38%. I studied more, and in a classroom test (using a past paper) I scored 33%.
I wasn't too bothered about the result, as I knew I'd never really 'get' maths, and all of my other subjects are looking good. However, now I'm being told, in no uncertain terms, that this nat 5 maths will matter and will cost me a place in uni.
This sounds seriously farfetched to me, but I want to be sure.
My dream school is a place in Edinburgh Uni for their Illustration course. If I do well on the rest of my nat 5s + highers (English, Photography, Design, Art and Graphics) and I pass advanced higher art, will that nat 5 really matter? Will they even care about my nat 5s?
Reply 1
Original post by gorehound
My National 5's are really soon. I am doing English, Maths, Administration, Art & Design, Design & Manufacture, Graphic Communications and Practical Cookery, all at nat 5 level.
I believe for every subject except maths, I am looking at an A or, worst case, B. I've been working hard for all of my subjects, including maths, however it is just not my thing. I've been putting in so much study for little return, and I don't think I'm passing it.
My maths prelim result, my only fail, was a 38%. I studied more, and in a classroom test (using a past paper) I scored 33%.
I wasn't too bothered about the result, as I knew I'd never really 'get' maths, and all of my other subjects are looking good. However, now I'm being told, in no uncertain terms, that this nat 5 maths will matter and will cost me a place in uni.
This sounds seriously farfetched to me, but I want to be sure.
My dream school is a place in Edinburgh Uni for their Illustration course. If I do well on the rest of my nat 5s + highers (English, Photography, Design, Art and Graphics) and I pass advanced higher art, will that nat 5 really matter? Will they even care about my nat 5s?

Do some maths papers as practice, because no matter what you can pass it! I believe in you pal. As for uni, most unis would like a pass in either nat5 maths or english - so you should be fine. Looking at the Edinburgh Uni illustration course:
SQA: Highers: no specific Higher subjects required. National 5s: English at C.
So maths isn't even required. I am pretty sure most arts courses don't require maths, there probably are some but I can't think of any on the top of my head. For higher you'll on the most part need English and Art (I remember my friend saying her uni required BBC with art and english specified, I think that was for Aberdeen?). So work hard on them next year!

Quick Reply