The Student Room Group

How long after graduation did it take to find a graduate job?

I graduated in 2021 and received a first-class honours in Business and Management from the University of Sussex. I finished my studies in August and then took a few months off. I then got myself a part time retail job as a supervisor, so I do not have such a big gap in my CV after graduation. I did not want to make it look like I have been doing nothing after graduation.
However, I have so far had no success with my graduate job applications. I find it really disheartening and very stressful that I have potentially wasted 3 years of my life to just get stuck in a retail job that I could have got without a degree. I really need help and advice because, whilst the careers people at my University are ok, they do not give specific advice and always direct me elsewhere. They also generally give general broad advice that you can get from just googling.

I want to get a graduate job that I am interested in and can perform well at. I do not want to settle into a sector or industry that does not excite me e.g. sales, recruitment, Accounting, Marketing etc. My career interests mainly lie in Management, Business consulting and Technology.
I was thinking about doing a masters but I do not want to because of the intense nature of it and because I have had enough of the academic life and reading dozens of research academic papers that has very little relevance with the real world of work. Though, I may be forced to because then it gives me more time.

I do not know how bad it looks from an employer's perspective if they are looking at my CV and realise that it has been nearly 8 months since I have graduated and I still have found nothing. Whilst I do not have much professional experience in the form of 3 month internships or 1 year placements, I do have several skills developed from my extracurricular activities, my retail work experience and the skills I developed during my studies.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can provide any tips or advice. Has anyone secured a graduate job say 1 year after graduating? Or has anyone been in a similar situation to me and then secured a graduate job? Please help. Thank you.
Original post by Syed.1999
I graduated in 2021 and received a first-class honours in Business and Management from the University of Sussex. I finished my studies in August and then took a few months off. I then got myself a part time retail job as a supervisor, so I do not have such a big gap in my CV after graduation. I did not want to make it look like I have been doing nothing after graduation.
However, I have so far had no success with my graduate job applications. I find it really disheartening and very stressful that I have potentially wasted 3 years of my life to just get stuck in a retail job that I could have got without a degree. I really need help and advice because, whilst the careers people at my University are ok, they do not give specific advice and always direct me elsewhere. They also generally give general broad advice that you can get from just googling.

I want to get a graduate job that I am interested in and can perform well at. I do not want to settle into a sector or industry that does not excite me e.g. sales, recruitment, Accounting, Marketing etc. My career interests mainly lie in Management, Business consulting and Technology.
I was thinking about doing a masters but I do not want to because of the intense nature of it and because I have had enough of the academic life and reading dozens of research academic papers that has very little relevance with the real world of work. Though, I may be forced to because then it gives me more time.

I do not know how bad it looks from an employer's perspective if they are looking at my CV and realise that it has been nearly 8 months since I have graduated and I still have found nothing. Whilst I do not have much professional experience in the form of 3 month internships or 1 year placements, I do have several skills developed from my extracurricular activities, my retail work experience and the skills I developed during my studies.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can provide any tips or advice. Has anyone secured a graduate job say 1 year after graduating? Or has anyone been in a similar situation to me and then secured a graduate job? Please help. Thank you.

I know people that have taken nearly 2-years to secure a graduate job and they worked in retail in between. That is fine. For some it was a numbers game - they just kept hacking through as many applications a day as they could. For others they approached their fellow grads now in industry for a referral or interview tips.

Don't do a masters if you don't want to. It is expensive and the debt is paid back in parallel with your undergraduate loans. That's nasty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending