The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

how does Accommodation at durham?

yo so i have no idea how it works and it's confusing me. ;-;
how do i apply etc...
Durham is a collegiate university so accommodation is arranged through your college, and is probably in-college for first year.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
yo so i have no idea how it works and it's confusing me. ;-;
how do i apply etc...

Hi there

The colleges basically are just places where you live during your time at Durham. Consider them as smaller communities within the broader university where you live, make friends, participate in activities through societies etc. Colleges offer facilities like gyms, music room, yoga room, JCR rooms, sports grounds, washing facilities, dining rooms etc. Every college has its own societies apart from the ones that are open to all Durham students and can be found on the SU website.

Colleges are not specific to any course, they try to be as cosmopolitan and diverse as possible so that there are students from all courses. Most students only live in the college in their first year and then move out to live in privately-rented houses from the second year. However, you can most definitely choose to live out even from the very first year. Even if you don't live in, you still are a part of the college and can attend all activities it offers.

Once you're offered a place at Durham, a college preference form is sent out via email where you can rank all 16 colleges in order of your preference. You have to fill that out and then allocation will be done in May 2022. For more info on colleges, you can visit their individual instagram/tiktok/facebook pages for college tours as well as their websites. Take this as the starting point: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/#d.en.467132

Some considerations while choosing a college can be the following:
1. catered or self-catered
2. ensuite or shared rooms
3. distance from your department
4. gowned formals or not
5. facilities available

Let me know if you need more assistance :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

The colleges basically are just places where you live during your time at Durham. Consider them as smaller communities within the broader university where you live, make friends, participate in activities through societies etc. Colleges offer facilities like gyms, music room, yoga room, JCR rooms, sports grounds, washing facilities, dining rooms etc. Every college has its own societies apart from the ones that are open to all Durham students and can be found on the SU website.

Colleges are not specific to any course, they try to be as cosmopolitan and diverse as possible so that there are students from all courses. Most students only live in the college in their first year and then move out to live in privately-rented houses from the second year. However, you can most definitely choose to live out even from the very first year. Even if you don't live in, you still are a part of the college and can attend all activities it offers.

Once you're offered a place at Durham, a college preference form is sent out via email where you can rank all 16 colleges in order of your preference. You have to fill that out and then allocation will be done in May 2022. For more info on colleges, you can visit their individual instagram/tiktok/facebook pages for college tours as well as their websites. Take this as the starting point: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/#d.en.467132

Some considerations while choosing a college can be the following:
1. catered or self-catered
2. ensuite or shared rooms
3. distance from your department
4. gowned formals or not
5. facilities available

Let me know if you need more assistance :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Hey, If you put Durham as your insurance choice, does college allocation differ?

Quick Reply

Latest