The Student Room Group

Should I transfer from BCU to Uni of Notts next year? (Comp Sci)

My dilemma is that whilst applying to Uni's, I wanted to go to Notts but saw that they required a "B" in mathematics, which I achieved a 5 in at GCSE so I stupidly didn't apply, even though I met the UCAS point requirements.

Does anyone think that if I were to achieve a first this year at BCU, I would either be able to transfer as 2nd year, or start fresh as a first year? And if I was to move to Notts as a first year, do you think that would even be worth my time/money? I am just very conflicted.
Don’t start a course with the intention of transferring out. If you really want a chance at Notts, retake maths in a year out. It’s very unlikely they’ll waive the requirement even if they accept transfers onto that course, (which itself isn’t a certainty).
Original post by ashallen12345
My dilemma is that whilst applying to Uni's, I wanted to go to Notts but saw that they required a "B" in mathematics, which I achieved a 5 in at GCSE so I stupidly didn't apply, even though I met the UCAS point requirements.

Does anyone think that if I were to achieve a first this year at BCU, I would either be able to transfer as 2nd year, or start fresh as a first year? And if I was to move to Notts as a first year, do you think that would even be worth my time/money? I am just very conflicted.

Firstly Comp Sci at leading universities is very Mathematical and if you dont meet the Maths requirement it is an automatic rejection.

Secondly if you apply for a transfer the likelyhood is you would still need the grade B in Maths which is a grade 6.

Thirdly there is no guarantee even if you had a grade 6 you will be accepted for a transfer so either go to BCU with the intention of completing the course or dont go and take a gap year, re sit your Maths and apply to Nottingham.

Have you thought of looking elsewhere at universities that dont require grade 6.
Original post by Admit-One
Don’t start a course with the intention of transferring out. If you really want a chance at Notts, retake maths in a year out. It’s very unlikely they’ll waive the requirement even if they accept transfers onto that course, (which itself isn’t a certainty).

I never started the course at BCU with the intention of transferring, because I had no idea how little I would enjoy the course. I don't see taking a year out to retake maths as an option right now so I guess I'm stuck here.
I never started the course at BCU with the intention of transferring, because I had no idea how little I would enjoy the course. I don't see taking a year out to retake maths as an option right now so I guess I'm stuck here.

You’re already at BCU? If so and you haven’t already applied to Notts for COMPSCI then it’s likely too late; the course is closed on UCAS and it’s anyone’s guess whether they have places for year 2, (grade inflation last year left many courses oversubscribed). Again, that’s even assuming that they’d consider you without meeting the maths requirements.

If you hate it at BCU then I agree with swanseajack, your best bet may be to find another Uni where you meet the maths requirement and will consider year 2 entry starting in Sept. You will have to contact each Uni directly to find out.

Having looked at universities not requiring a grade 6 the best Ihave come across are
Aberystwyth
Bangor
Keele
Kent

All require grade 4 in GCSE Maths.

Leicester require grade 5.

You would need to check with the universities that they still have places available then apply. If you are looking for a transfer to restart year 1 it might be easier than transferring to year 2.

As ti whether it would be a waste of money. If your unhappy somewhere only you can decide. Nottingham currently has no vacancies but Trent is showing vacancies.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending