Why does Anaerobic Respiration Occur in Muscles During Exercise?

Watch this thread
deskio
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey everyone,
Was wondering: Why does Anaerobic Respiration Occur in Muscles During Exercise, including talking about oxygen debt?
Lol, revision underway but can’t think of a way to word an answer including talking about the oxygen debt.

While we’re at it, can anybody define oxygen debt?

GCSE level

Thanks!
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by deskio)
Hey everyone,
Was wondering: Why does Anaerobic Respiration Occur in Muscles During Exercise, including talking about oxygen debt?
Lol, revision underway but can’t think of a way to word an answer including talking about the oxygen debt.

While we’re at it, can anybody define oxygen debt?

GCSE level

Thanks!
Ok:
When we exercise, the muscles contract. This requires energy, which comes from the breakdown of ATP into ADP and a phosphate. ATP is produced by respiration. Initially, whilst there is sufficient oxygen being delivered to the cell by the blood, aerobic respiration takes place. However, when there is not enough oxygen for aerobic respiration to occur, anaerobic respiration occurs instead, which produces less ATP. After exercising has stopped, lactic acid has been produced, and oxygen is needed to break this down in the liver. Therefore, excess oxygen is needed to breakdown the lactic acid produced, and also for aerobic respiration to continue. This excess oxygen is the oxygen debt.
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Also have a look here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...20a%20marathon.
deskio
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
You’re an absolute legend… thank you so much!
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by deskio)
You’re an absolute legend… thank you so much!
No problem!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
30.99%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
36.62%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (5)
7.04%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.63%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.68%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.41%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.41%

Watched Threads