The Student Room Group

2nd year housing...

how many people are sorted for next year? we've spotted somewhere (and have stood outside and peered through the windows whe no one was in) which we're goign to view properly on monday, and it looks really good... is really near uni and town, is the right price, looks a nice house... but none of my friends up here are sorted yet, my twin brother is in sheffield and my bf is in lancaster...

is anyone looking to buy? a couple of my friends are and can't find anything at all...

lou xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We're (me plus 3 flatmates) just starting to look seriously for renting. Tried before xmas but got nowhere. The university list of approved houses/landlords isnt out yet but browsing now. Staying there for 1 year then moving in with boyf in my 3rd year
Is there anybody who's spend a 2nd year in halls or considered doing it?

My best mate at uni and I are seriously thinking about it. The main reasons that it seems like a good idea for us are:

- Cheaper overall than private sector
- Our halls are superb: big rooms, en suite bathrooms, wonderful atmosphere, fantastic facilities and good food, so we're living better than we're likely to in a house
- We want to live together but have struggled to put together a group to live with due to various clashing personalities amongst our friends and we haven't found an arrangement which either of us would feel happy with
- We have parking permits at halls but wouldn't be guaranteed to have off-street parking in a house/flat
- Social advantage of meeting and making friends with a whole load of next year's freshers
- We have the rest of our lives to live in houses and pay bills and all of that, and halls is a once in a lifetime experience

This year in halls has been amazing for me - I love the atmosphere and the sociability of living with so many people, but at the same time having some privacy. I'm worried a house would be a bit claustrophic as I haven't got the 'right' group to live with. My room is also really quiet and if I want to get work done, I don't get disturbed, which is a very good thing. A small proportion of 2nd years live in in our halls and all seem to think they made the right choice.

What do you all think? I'm not too sure and i'd love to hear people's thoughts and experiences.
Reply 3
What uni are you at? Lucky getting parking permits. We can't live in halls in our 2nd year generally, otherwise I think we'd have been tempted to stay. Secure, less hassle, comfortable and we have enjoyed it a hell of a lot.
Reply 4
I wish I could live in halls again - I enjoyed halls last year. Like you I had a big room with an en-suite, our kitchens were good (I was self catered), and it was quiet and didn't feel at all claustrophobic. I'm living with the people I was in halls with, and really regret it, as I'm totally different to them and have little in common - we got on alright at first because of everything being new and so agreed to live together this time last year, but by the end of last year I was getting annoyed with them a lot. However as all my other friends lived on campus, and were no more than a 10 minute walk from my hall, it was really easy to see them and get out a bit. However now they all live miles away from where I do, so I only ever see them at uni, and its impossible to go out cos everyone has to get back on their own, and at 2am its not the nicest thing. I would definitely stay in halls if you've got a mate with you, I would rather have done it too.
at our uni, the people who live in halls in 2nd year is usually because they r either:
a) international students
b) dont have any friends so had 2 live in halls again
c) pervy blokes lusting after 1st years
Reply 6
Most uni's won't allow you in halls for the 2nd year, but you are allowed to come back in the 3rd year if you want.
Reply 7
I know a few people that stayed in halls for their second year and they're all loving it. I recommend it, the reasons you've given are all extremely valid.
Reply 8
You are also close to campus too.
Reply 9
i'm still in college accomodation & will be for my 3rd, 4th & 6th years most probably. & it's pretty fab. :p: but then this is fairly standard here.

i think perhaps it will depend on the culture of the uni/halls you're at as to whether it's a good idea for you? but you sound pretty convinced in your 1st post.. :wink:
if you can, id go for it!

love Katy***
Reply 11
Elles
i'm still in college accomodation & will be for my 3rd, 4th & 6th years most probably. & it's pretty fab. :p: but then this is fairly standard here.

i think perhaps it will depend on the culture of the uni/halls you're at as to whether it's a good idea for you? but you sound pretty convinced in your 1st post.. :wink:

You're guaranteed a place in clinical school, then? :wink:
Reply 12
The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to apply for halls for my 2nd year, because we can technically apply, but we're last choice...1st and then 3rd years have priority.
Reply 13
Most people seem live somewhere else in teh 2nd year, as they made friends and get along with each other.

If you really want to stay onto the 2nd year accomdation, speak to the person in the accomodation office.
Reply 14
timeofyourlife
You're guaranteed a place in clinical school, then? :wink:

pessimist! :ahhhhh:

technically, no, i'm not guaranteed a place here.

but judging by the apparent criteria our 3rd years who are just going through the system where up against- provided i 'merely' pass all the upcoming exams then my 1st year results will hopefully be sufficient to see me through without even being interviewed.. *crosses fingers & toes*
Elles

i don't think oxford students are in that great a position to comment. :wink: we're very pro-college accommodation here because it's the norm; whereas elsewhere there's a bit of a stigma attacted to staying in university halls longer than you've too.
Reply 16
you obviously didn't go onto read my qualifying statements then, Bob.. :p:

me a few posts up

i think perhaps it will depend on the culture of the uni/halls you're at as to whether it's a good idea for you? but you sound pretty convinced in your 1st post..
ah, fair enough. i just think it's important to note that oxbridge student in general looks upon university halls in a far more positive light that those of "normal" (can't think of a better expression) universities. partly because everyone stays on, and also because private acc. in oxford is really really bad.
Reply 18
I've found somewhere with 5 other friends - we were looking for quite a while and then found an absolute gem of a house, which we snapped up sharpish! I was tempted to stay in halls because of the convenience, the closeness to uni and the off-road parking. However, it worked out more expensive to stay in halls, and I really wanted to live in an house - it feels more as though you're leaving uni to go home for the night and/or weekend. Plus, it'll be soooo much quieter to get on with work, which I am really looking forward to! Everyone lives around the same area here anyway, so you don't really get split up from your friends that much. Also think that living in a house with fewer ppl allows you to make closer friendships and really get to know each other... Can't wait!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 19
ooh housing is such a mess atm!! have a group of friends iv decided to move in with but we cant find a house we all like! i think we're being too picky... and it doesnt help that every1 else around us seem to be signing contracts left right and centre... so stressful!

Latest

Trending

Trending