The Student Room Group

Midwifery

My daughter is keen to become a midwife. Unfortunately, her current degree and Extended BTEC (128 UCAS points) are related to sport and coaching. She has Maths, English and Science GCSE at a grade C (as well as a few others). What is the best way for her to be accepted on a Midwifery degree? We were thinking about an access course but have been warned that some are not always suitable and so could be a waste of time and money.
Reply 1
Original post by berrylilac1
My daughter is keen to become a midwife. Unfortunately, her current degree and Extended BTEC (128 UCAS points) are related to sport and coaching. She has Maths, English and Science GCSE at a grade C (as well as a few others). What is the best way for her to be accepted on a Midwifery degree? We were thinking about an access course but have been warned that some are not always suitable and so could be a waste of time and money.

Hi there,
I would definitely encourage looking into an access course. This is how I got onto my nursing degree, and I know a few students that have become midwifes this way. If you email, or ring the access course provider, they will be able to point you in the right direction. Likewise, if you contact the intended university for the midwifery course, they might be able to post you in the right direction of how your daughter can reach the UCAS points required for the course.

I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Thanks. We have contacted the university but they were reluctant to recommend a particular course. We'll keep looking for the right course. Thanks again.
Reply 3

If she has a degree, she doesn’t necessarily have to do an access. She will have to if the degree was more than 5 years ago as it has to be recent study. She would be able to apply with a degree in sports! There’s lots of transferable skills there I’m sure. She might not be able to apply to universities which ask for science at a level, but there are other unis which don’t ask for science. There are also unis offering the MSc in midwifery, for example Oxford Brookes, which is the same as the BSc but is offered to those with a degree already.

There’s a really good Facebook group, “secret community for midwives in the making” which always give good advice.
(edited 2 years ago)

Most people I know who are studying midwifery got there by completing an access course. I think most "Access to midwifery and nursing" courses are suitable for getting into uni, but don't quote me on that. Although typically I would suggest she find an in person access course vs online, but obviously that depends on if she is able to do this.

As previously mentioned, there are many universities that accept a previous degree. If she has evidence of education within the past 5 years (This can be anything) she could use her degree to get into university. This is a list of uni's that accept degrees for entrance to a midwifery course (There may be more, but these were the ones that I found):
University of Bradford
University of Bedfordshire
King's College London
Kingston University
University of East Anglia
University of Sheffield
Sheffield Hallam University
University of Hull
Oxford Brookes University
University of Plymouth
Birmingham City University
Keele University
University of Manchester
Cumbria University
University of West Scotland
Liverpool John Moores University
Queen's University Belfast
University of Leicester
Robert Gordon University
Northumbria University

If she has okish a-levels/BTEC grades she could also do a foundation year, as some universities offer this. Example would be Bournemouth University.

Hope this helps!
(edited 2 years ago)

@berrylilac1
I've taught on an Access to HE nursing and midwifery program for nearly 10 years so I can address some of the issues raised in the post;

Nursing and Midwifery programs typically have the correct blend of both natural science and social science unit's to progress onto midwifery. However, midwifery is much more competitive and requires a level 2 in science (typically the GCSE), whereas nursing only requires english and maths at level 2 along side the Access course. In terms of Access grades students typically need ALOT more distinctions to get into midwifery than nursing as it is so competitive.

I would speak to the admissions tutor at the University of her choice, as they will know appropriate access programs in the local area. Doing the course at an FE college is probably best as they will have tutorials that help with UCAS applications etc

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending