This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Sixth form isn't brillinat. If I had another year I would want to move to a different school and do
History
Music
Classical studies and
English lit

(CS istead of maths) Anyone else feeling like they wish they could re-take the year? With a different subject? I also wish I had changed school asmine is second bottom in the area!
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
Sixth form isn't brillinat. If I had another year I would want to move to a different school and do
History
Music
Classical studies and
English lit

(CS istead of maths) Anyone else feeling like they wish they could re-take the year? With a different subject? I also wish I had changed school asmine is second bottom in the area!
I'm only in lower 6th, but i think 6th form is great up to now (it has its chavs, but they are bearable, and apparently the teachers can start counselling ppl off courses now ) Is it too late for you to move sixth form? It cant be that bad a school, so long as you work hard the school's rating surely cant stop you from gettin high grades.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by saiyamana)
I'm only in lower 6th, but i think 6th form is great up to now (it has its chavs, but they are bearable, and apparently the teachers can start counselling ppl off courses now ) Is it too late for you to move sixth form? It cant be that bad a school, so long as you work hard the school's rating surely cant stop you from gettin high grades.
I am in lowersixth too, but I cant repeat it (My mum said it isn't an option) It is bad. I've got to the point where I go home in frees (I know I 'm not meant to)I'm never there at lunch and I'm not motivated. I want to be at uni, with more freedom and time - I hate the restrictive timetables. I need a second chance for my choice of friends. My friends at the moment are okay but all they do is gossip and I've been sucked into it but see how it hurts everyone. I want to be away from a TV. And Home, you know when you hate home, the noise the parents breathing donn your back. I also need a week to catch up on stuff as I've just changed orchestra and got a new job and the two things put together are killing me!

Any ideas on motivations? TV is i'm afraid addictive and I want to stop watching it altogether eventually and read in spare time instead - any ideas htere too? It would be much appriciated!
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by saiyamana)
haha, looked at your profile, wierd your two days younger then me, wierd!
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(CS istead of maths)
Even if you don't like maths it would be great if you could grit your teeth and bear it. It's well respected so you'd appreciate it in the end.

I also wish I had changed school asmine is second bottom in the area!
Even if the teaching is mediocre you can teach as a suppliment at home. Also if you can try to motivate yourself and get good grades the fact your school is mediocre will actually benefit you when you come to apply to universities.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaz031)
Even if you don't like maths it would be great if you could grit your teeth and bear it. It's well respected so you'd appreciate it in the end.

Even if the teaching is mediocre you can teach as a suppliment at home. Also if you can try to motivate yourself and get good grades the fact your school is mediocre will actually benefit you when you come to apply to universities.
I can just about bear it though I will probs end up with a C or D. I dont know if the lowest will benifit anything cos it isn't an innercity state school which is the phrase I always here...
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, you could always drop maths after AS if you still don't like it, but it's definitely worth sticking with it and trying to get a decent grade as it's such a good subject to have. Have you tried asking your teachers for some extra help on a one-to-one basis? Maybe they'd actually be all right teachers then. If not, there are always revision guides and sites like this to help. I'm not sure if it's possible, but you could try and find another school/college offering A2s in your subjects with the same exam boards and ask if you could switch after AS? Even if you can't, try and stay positive and just think that if you keep it up, your dream of going to uni will be possible, but otherwise it won't.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can just about bear it though I will probs end up with a C or D. I dont know if the lowest will benifit anything cos it isn't an innercity state school which is the phrase I always here...
You sound like an intelligent person that can do as well as they want to do. A good idea for Maths at least is to get the syllabus specific textbook and do all the questions in those, then do past papers. You're then bound to end up with a B or close. If you get stuck on questions you can also post in the appropriate forum.

Best of luck.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
haha, looked at your profile, wierd your two days younger then me, wierd!

random comment, lol.

I am in lowersixth too, but I cant repeat it (My mum said it isn't an option) It is bad.
Thats mean!

I've got to the point where I go home in frees (I know I 'm not meant to)I'm never there at lunch and I'm not motivated. I want to be at uni, with more freedom and time - I hate the restrictive timetables.
I know what you mean there. University seems so much better. If you find yourself going home in frees, you could find alternative things to do, sit in the cantine with a tea and paper? Sit in a lesson (i usually sit in a psychology lesson when i bored), im sure the teachers would allow you. Go play an instrument. Go read a book. Catch up on some work in a computer/study room. Or bring a gamecube in!!! Or play a sport...

I need a second chance for my choice of friends. My friends at the moment are okay but all they do is gossip and I've been sucked into it but see how it hurts everyone.
I suggest you try make new friends. Go to some clubs/social parties/pubs? Keep your old friends like, dont do anything rash!

I want to be away from a TV. And Home, you know when you hate home, the noise the parents breathing donn your back. I also need a week to catch up on stuff as I've just changed orchestra and got a new job and the two things put together are killing me!
Use your frees to catch up!!

Any ideas on motivations? TV is i'm afraid addictive and I want to stop watching it altogether eventually and read in spare time instead - any ideas htere too? It would be much appriciated!
Well, you dont really sound the most outgoing person (i might be wrong ) but i suggest you go meet new friends and that will help a great deal.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
You sound like an intelligent person that can do as well as they want to do. A good idea for Maths at least is to get the syllabus specific textbook and do all the questions in those, then do past papers. You're then bound to end up with a B or close. If you get stuck on questions you can also post in the appropriate forum.

Best of luck.
indeed. I despise Physics, but still attempt past papers and revise for it. Just because you cant stand it doesnt mean you cant do it!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't retake a year. I would do the another subject in year 13 instead.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
Okay, the not an outgoing comment was quite funny. As I do do a lot of things out of school (Ice skating, viola lessons, orchestra, orchestra, choir, another orchestra, play in a band sometimes, go to church, help out wiht a summer camp, go to soul survivor (A christan camp) knowing no one) So I am meeting a lot of new people, its the ones inside school who are the problem - I have loads outside school.

For my maths in Jan. I got my mum to tutor me (she has a maths degree) and i worked through two reviviosn guides - however there arn't any past papers becaseu this is the first year of the exams (MEI just changed from pure to core)

I shall probably drop maths becuase everyone drops a subject at A Level, I have afeeling it will be too much work to take up another subject but the option is there.

The teachers can't help because when i asked one for help she talked for five minutes but i still didn't understand

I donbt think there are many places to change to in my area - So I guess I'll just stick it out!

In our morning frees we have to go to the study room or library, both of which you cant talk, someties cant get on the computers, and half the people in there dont want to be there. I think the rooms have potential, its just our head of sixthform doesn't listen to us when we say why dont poeple go in the common room instead.

HH
Peppi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey there I moved school for my 6th year this year doing
Adv. Music
High. Drama
English
PE

I am enjoying it but I still rly wish I had just left school.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads