The Student Room Group

changing unis

Hi, so I was given an offer with bcu this year and i accepted too soon, I wanted to know how I can change this and aplly to unis closer to me.
Would I have to wait until clearing? How does it work
thank you
Original post by bonoffet
Hi, so I was given an offer with bcu this year and i accepted too soon, I wanted to know how I can change this and aplly to unis closer to me.
Would I have to wait until clearing? How does it work
thank you

I think you may be able to use ucas extra, https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
Reply 2

im not sure if im eligible because i accepted 1 offer
im not sure if im eligible because i accepted 1 offer

I believe you would have to decline this then use it.
β€”
@PQ @Admit-One is my understanding correct? If you accept an offer, then decline it, you can still use extra?
Original post by mnot
I believe you would have to decline this then use it.
β€”
@PQ @Admit-One is my understanding correct? If you accept an offer, then decline it, you can still use extra?

Yes, that's correct. So long as you decline your offers, (not withdrawing yourself from the application cycle), before 30th June then you can use Extra.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, that's correct. So long as you decline your offers, (not withdrawing yourself from the application cycle), before 30th June then you can use Extra.

PRSOM
From what I've read so far UCAS Extra states that it's for if you didn't receive any offers from your choices and haven't secured a place. If BCU sent you an offer and you accepted I'm not 100% sure if you'd be eligible because you did get an offer and secure a place on a course, but I could be wrong. It's like a last resort for somebody who received nothing from the Universities they chose from what I understand.

Why exactly is it that you want to change from BCU to a more local University so much?
Original post by JustGettinBy
From what I've read so far UCAS Extra states that it's for if you didn't receive any offers from your choices and haven't secured a place. If BCU sent you an offer and you accepted I'm not 100% sure if you'd be eligible because you did get an offer and secure a place on a course, but I could be wrong.

Your suspicions are correct, you are wrong :wink:

As per the UCAS page linked above, you can decline any offers that you receive and make yourself eligible for Extra. It's not just for folks who receive only rejections.
Original post by Admit-One
Your suspicions are correct, you are wrong :wink:

As per the UCAS page linked above, you can decline any offers that you receive and make yourself eligible for Extra. It's not just for folks who receive only rejections.

Ah okay! Thank you for clearing that up :smile: Good news for OP!
If you've accepted an offer and now want to use Extra then that's possible but unless you replied to your offers within the last 14 days then you'll need to get agreement from your firm (and insurance) universities to change your replies.

Call UCAS and explain that you'd like to swap your replies for your Firm (and insurance if you have one) from Firm to Decline (so that you can use UCAS Extra).
Then call your firm university and ask which email address to contact to get agreement for a UCAS reply swap. Not all admissions staff can process a reply swap - they need to be on UCAS's list approved staff to email them to approve on behalf of the university. When you get the email address then email them (including your UCAS ID, name, course applied for and DoB) and ask them to notify UCAS that they'll agree to you swapping your reply from Firm to Decline.

Once all your universities notify UCAS that they agree (and UCAS have your wishes on file too) then UCAS will swap your replies so it shows that you've Declined all your offers and you'll be eligible to use Extra to add a new choice.
Reply 10
thank you guys for your support
Reply 11
Original post by JustGettinBy

Why exactly is it that you want to change from BCU to a more local University so much?

I'm having issues with the costs, and my parents arent happy with the idea of me moving
I'm having issues with the costs, and my parents arent happy with the idea of me moving

Just make sure that you go to a University that you genuinely want to study at / will enjoy, and that it has a good quality of teaching to get the most out of your degree - those are the most important things. It's a very expensive and serious decision so choose wisely! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending