The Student Room Group

My friend gave me a cold and laughed at it

Since the beginning of this year, I have been quite close in the gym, but sometimes he invades my personal space, and the perfume that he has gives me a headache.

I got a horrible sore throat of him which turned out not be COVID. He began laughing saying "you got of it of me." When I said it might have been someone else, he started laughing and saying, "NO! you got it off me." I was seriously pissed off that I blocked him of Whatsapp. He apologised and said it was nervous laughter...

Yeah, right...

I am having a hard time forgiving him..

What should I do?
move on
Reply 2
Original post by tinyperson
move on

Would you blank him? What if that had been COVID?
If it was COVID, and you were immunocompromised or someone you are close with was, I'd understand the frustration.

But given the fact it was not... I don't see why you are letting it have so much power over you.
Reply 4
Original post by studygirl388
If it was COVID, and you were immunocompromised or someone you are close with was, I'd understand the frustration.

But given the fact it was not... I don't see why you are letting it have so much power over you.

I am immunocompromised.. Sorry I should have put this in the post... It's his attitude that pissed me off...
Reply 5

sorry I really should have put this on the original post.
How is your uncle?
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV123
How is your uncle?

How is your uncle?

what?
Reply 8
How is your uncle?

ehhh... I don't have one!
Original post by Anonymous
sorry I really should have put this on the original post.

Okay, this makes more sense now. Is he aware of your situation?

Honestly, it seems like he was making a strange joke and that this is just his sense of humour. I don't think he thought before he said what he did. I can see why you're finding it tough to forgive him. I'd certainly make him aware for a bit longer that you're unhappy about his remarks, and then when he next says something to you, explain why these situations are distressing to someone with compromised immunity.

Other than that, I'd say you should try to let go of your anger as quick as you can, for your own sake. Anger causes stress and stress has its ways of affecting the body, I'm sure you know this. Try to let it go. I doubt he was trying to be malicious and it's a good thing he did apologise, as long as he learns from it.
Okay, this makes more sense now. Is he aware of your situation?

Honestly, it seems like he was making a strange joke and that this is just his sense of humour. I don't think he thought before he said what he did. I can see why you're finding it tough to forgive him. I'd certainly make him aware for a bit longer that you're unhappy about his remarks, and then when he next says something to you, explain why these situations are distressing to someone with compromised immunity.

Other than that, I'd say you should try to let go of your anger as quick as you can, for your own sake. Anger causes stress and stress has its ways of affecting the body, I'm sure you know this. Try to let it go. I doubt he was trying to be malicious and it's a good thing he did apologise, as long as he learns from it.

yes he knew... understand the point about anger but would you still speak to him
Original post by Anonymous
yes he knew... understand the point about anger but would you still speak to him

Since he knew, that changes things.

I'd say it's entirely up to you. While what he did was no risk to your physical health, he pretended to do so in the 'joke' he made, which caused you emotional upset. So, I can see why you would choose not to talk to him again.
And this is why I still wear a mask...

Why exactly are you friends with this person?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
And this is why I still wear a mask...

Why exactly are you friends with this person?

I know he invade my personal space a lot
I'm confused. Why does it matter if some gave you a cold or even COVID? That's what happens when you spend time with people. No reason to fall out.
Laughing was a bit uncalled for but ultimately we don't live in a hermetically sealed environment.

Aside from public transport, public exercise facilities like gyms are about as germy as you can get. Everyone is touching everything, breathing heavily and perspiring in a contained space.

If you are that concerned then unfortunately i dont see much other option than avoiding said areas.

Up until two years ago, getting the occasional cough or cold was just a regular part of life.

Note: I am not equating covid to a regular cold/cough but rather the fact nobody can seem to accept getting mildly sick from anything anymore. You've got a a sore throat, it's not the end of the world.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Apachecow
I'm confused. Why does it matter if some gave you a cold or even COVID? That's what happens when you spend time with people. No reason to fall out.

It's because he was laughing at it
Original post by CoolCavy
Laughing was a bit uncalled for but ultimately we don't live in a hermetically sealed environment.

Aside from public transport, public exercise facilities like gyms are about as germy as you can get. Everyone is touching everything, breathing heavily and perspiring in a contained space.

If you are that concerned then unfortunately i dont see much other option than avoiding said areas.

Up until two years ago, getting the occasional cough or cold was just a regular part of life.

Note: I am not equating covid to a regular cold/cough but rather the fact nobody can seem to accept getting mildly sick from anything anymore. You've got a a sore throat, it's not the end of the world.

No it's because he was laughing at it that really pissing me off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending