If you are sexually active, do you routinely get checked for STDs? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hello people,
This poll is aimed solely at those people who are sexually active or have been at any point in the past. I'm curious as to how many people routinely get themselves checked for STD's, as I'm suprised how few of my friends do.

The poll is anonymous, I thought that best.

Ed
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Every 2 months as you never know
ClosetGinger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it was 'advised' that I got myself checked out by my very judgemental GP...despite the fact that I'd only had one sexual partner and so had he. It was pain-free and at least you can say with all honesty that everything is ok downstairs
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by lessthanthree)
And for anyone who is too freaked out to do it: you suck. You oughtn't to be having sex if you can't bring yourself to get tested. (: It's no big deal.
Well said. I'm amazed by how many don't get tested due to embarrassment. At risk of sounding slightly contraversial, I'd doubt whether anyone is metally ready for sex if they are not willing to be safe about it especially in a world where no contraception provides 100% protect from STDs.

EDIT - The situation is of course slightly different if you are in a close, and closed relationship.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep, I'm a complete hypochondriac!
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's always my argument. You should see how hoity toity I get with friends of mine when they're like "ooh, I'm too embarrassed to go get the morning after pill by myself," or.."OMFG buy condoms, I'm scared."

Blatantly too immature to even be contemplating sex. For shame.
I think a lot of people just don't realise that the check-ups aren't really embarassing, they don't hurt and they last for a few seconds! My mate wouldn't go 'cos she said she was scared of the pain when it doesn't hurt at all! Silly bunny!
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I put no. These sort of statistics annoy me. For example:
I read a headline saying that 50% of sexually active students have 'unprotected' sex and it then went on to condemn students. At the end it threw in the statistic that 52% of sexually active students are in long-term monogamous relationships. Obviously I'm not saying that all people having unprotected sex are in monogamous relationships, but I'm saying that these statistics tend to treat sex as though it only happens as one-night-stands or between people who've just partnered up without tests and have had sex with lots of other people before.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
I think a lot of people just don't realise that the check-ups aren't really embarassing, they don't hurt and they last for a few seconds!
Does that count for males? I heard they stick a swab up the Urethra :eek:

(correct me if i'm wrong here.)
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

It's probably more uncomfortable for males, I can't compare!
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :puke:
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :puke:
It's better than leaving an STI untreated my friend!
Tednol
Rep:
?
Regardless of the details, I can reassure blokes that it doesn't hurt.
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Only if there is a reason of somekind... but I always use a condom, unlike most men I can say no.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

Well there has to be something in that department that's uncomfortable for men! Women have drawn the short straw in everything else to do with reproduction!
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)
I put no. These sort of statistics annoy me. For example:
I read a headline saying that 50% of sexually active students have 'unprotected' sex and it then went on to condemn students. At the end it threw in the statistic that 52% of sexually active students are in long-term monogamous relationships. Obviously I'm not saying that all people having unprotected sex are in monogamous relationships, but I'm saying that these statistics tend to treat sex as though it only happens as one-night-stands or between people who've just partnered up without tests and have had sex with lots of other people before.
I do sympathise with your annoyance completely. However I know many people who are far from monogamous who do not get tested regularly, or at all. And I'm pretty sure you'll agree with me that that is not a particularly responsible way to go around enjoying yourself.

EDIT Looking back at the poll, I should have made some reference to it applying to those people who are not in long-term monogamous relationships. Apologies to all concerned.
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you're not in a monogamous relationship then yes get tested, and before you have unprotected sex for the first time with a new partner you should get checked out. i mean half these things you get can be quite unpleasant and some things are uncurable and you're left with them your whole life! it makes sense to spend a day in the GUM clinic over 60 odd years of cold sores on your unmentionables etc lol
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
I do sympathise with your annoyance completely. However I know many people who are far from monogamous who do not get tested regularly, or at all. And I'm pretty sure you'll agree with me that that is not a particularly responsible way to go around enjoying yourself.
Of course not. I just don't like the portrayal of teenage/young people having sex in general - it's either promiscuous, or unsafe, or wantonly experimental when in fact it's just like the sex every other demongraphic has. Some is safe and responsible and some isn't; I reckon a large number of older people don't get tested regularly either!
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)
Of course not. I just don't like the portrayal of teenage/young people having sex in general - it's either promiscuous, or unsafe, or wantonly experimental when in fact it's just like the sex every other demongraphic has. Some is safe and responsible and some isn't; I reckon a large number of older people don't get tested regularly either!
Granted!
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*gets off soapbox*
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*steals soapbox*

*sells on ebay*
*overbids*

whoops, did a Mr. White...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads