The Student Room Group

university - classmates asking for help

ive had a few people message me the day before/ on the day an assignment is due for help and how i worked out the questions or what my answer was
in the beginning of the year, i said it's in the worksheet or it's in the lecture but im just getting a bit annoyed now because all they have to do is go through the lecture slides and it's pretty clear how to do the work?

also why do they assume that i will give them the answer and want me to hold their hand going step by step for every question? did you do x,y,z,a,b,c i never do tell my answer or how i do it because that is plagiarism and but im just frustrated that im only messaged for assignment help/ answers

i guess they think the nerd will just give in lol

first year student here just hope this ends and doesnt carry on next year
I’m in the same boat, first year student also. There is one student who is a friend of mine where we’ve compared a maths answer to something worth almost nothing, and we did get the same number, but other than that I’ve not given much detail away.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in the same boat, first year student also. There is one student who is a friend of mine where we’ve compared a maths answer to something worth almost nothing, and we did get the same number, but other than that I’ve not given much detail away.

yeah once my friend and i have finished an assignment involving graphs/ numbers we compare answers so like the gradients is 130.2ish but it's mutual cause we've both finished the work so idm

it's the others that want you to hold their hand and have you say 'yes that's okay' or 'no that's not okay' to everything idk if it's wrong so what? im not megamind idek if it's the right way either just see what happens

im chill otherwise, i do care about my grades but if you overifixate on stuff then i think it's not healthy
if im not sure im not gonna panic, ill watch a youtube vid and answer the stuff as best as i can so what if ive lost a few marks?

maybe cause it's first year people are scared but idky they think ill know everything :lol: idek myself just see what happens
yeah once my friend and i have finished an assignment involving graphs/ numbers we compare answers so like the gradients is 130.2ish but it's mutual cause we've both finished the work so idm

it's the others that want you to hold their hand and have you say 'yes that's okay' or 'no that's not okay' to everything idk if it's wrong so what? im not megamind idek if it's the right way either just see what happens

im chill otherwise, i do care about my grades but if you overifixate on stuff then i think it's not healthy
if im not sure im not gonna panic, ill watch a youtube vid and answer the stuff as best as i can so what if ive lost a few marks?

maybe cause it's first year people are scared but idky they think ill know everything :lol: idek myself just see what happens

I find a lot of people don’t look if they have an assignment and don’t look on the module page to read what we have to do, instead just asking the group chat. As we have a small cohort on my course (less than 20) most of us know each other, but it’s always the same people asking and answering, though my answers are generally where on the module page to go or a very basic explanation of what we need to do.
I am in the second year of my degree and this still happens on a very regular basis. Just help them but just don't do more than what is necessary to assist them.
Reply 5
I find a lot of people don’t look if they have an assignment and don’t look on the module page to read what we have to do, instead just asking the group chat. As we have a small cohort on my course (less than 20) most of us know each other, but it’s always the same people asking and answering, though my answers are generally where on the module page to go or a very basic explanation of what we need to do.

some of the answers to the questions are in the instructions/ background paragraph of the assignment anyway so just read the hw

small group here too
some of the answers to the questions are in the instructions/ background paragraph of the assignment anyway so just read the hw

small group here too

Yes same here, the answers to their questions are often in the pre lab or downloadable documents for written work etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I am in the second year of my degree and this still happens on a very regular basis. Just help them but just don't do more than what is necessary to assist them.

yep, i just tell them it's in the lecture or just go over the workbook and theyll be fine but it's just a bit annoying before every assignment to have the same people messaging me .. dread deadlines

i do help in a slightly cold way, but they can help themselves too

also ive had someone try and purposely confuse me which sucks when i tried to help them think they purposely told me the wrong answers but i stuck to my orginal work and didnt change it lol
Lots of folks starting uni are young and going through all kinds of complicated stuff, so being organised and fully understanding the work often takes second (or third) place. If you can help them find a way through, is that so terrible?
Final year student here and just found out how to respond to these without people giving you sass for not wanting to risk plagiarism:
Don't answer their question but ask them questions that sound like you want to get to know them. If they answer that question, ask them another! Best case scenario, you get a new friend, but at the very least they learn not to go to you for answers because you'll be too friendly instead of giving them the answer.
Took me 3 years to figure it out but it's worked like a charm!
Original post by Dee-Emma
Lots of folks starting uni are young and going through all kinds of complicated stuff, so being organised and fully understanding the work often takes second (or third) place. If you can help them find a way through, is that so terrible?

yep and im in that category of young, going through stuff and not being organised but it takes 2 seconds to read the instructions
if someones asks for help i help them, i recommend the lectures to go over but im more frustrated with classmates that get semi annoyed at me for not knowing stuff either? idk ive written down what i think - i genuinely dont know the answer to the question but im not gonna panic? if you can understand what im getting to
Original post by Dee-Emma

And the people they’re asking to basically drag them through the course are also young and going through “all kinds of complicated stuff” but can remain organised. You’re assuming that to do well in first year you need to have an easy time and no worries, which is not true. In my case I’m struggling with accommodation, had a close relative die, and I’m disabled but I can still remain on top of my assignments. I still give them help and advice but this was a place to discuss if this was happening that OP started, not where we are being “terrible”.
Final year student here and just found out how to respond to these without people giving you sass for not wanting to risk plagiarism:
Don't answer their question but ask them questions that sound like you want to get to know them. If they answer that question, ask them another! Best case scenario, you get a new friend, but at the very least they learn not to go to you for answers because you'll be too friendly instead of giving them the answer.
Took me 3 years to figure it out but it's worked like a charm!

interesting ... thanks :biggrin:

And the people they’re asking to basically drag them through the course are also young and going through “all kinds of complicated stuff” but can remain organised. You’re assuming that to do well in first year you need to have an easy time and no worries, which is not true. In my case I’m struggling with accommodation, had a close relative die, and I’m disabled but I can still remain on top of my assignments. I still give them help and advice but this was a place to discuss if this was happening that OP started, not where we are being “terrible”.

im not even organised .... idky why they assume ik stuff when i really dont know the answer and ive just written down whatever i think the answer is, no harm in taking risks is what im trying to tell them
idk if it's right or wrong because im not megamind
if you think it's not 100% correct then dont worry so long as you have something down youll be fine
and if they have nothing down ill tell them it's in the lecture because we all have the lecture notes
anything else is up to them to search - be it on youtube or though textbooks
im not even organised .... idky why they assume ik stuff when i really dont know the answer and ive just written down whatever i think the answer is, no harm in taking risks is what im trying to tell them
idk if it's right or wrong because im not megamind
if you think it's not 100% correct then dont worry so long as you have something down youll be fine
and if they have nothing down ill tell them it's in the lecture because we all have the lecture notes
anything else is up to them to search - be it on youtube or though textbooks

I was just replying to the non anon person who was calling us bad people.
I was just replying to the non anon person who was calling us bad people.

oops

Quick Reply

Latest