The Student Room Group

Difference between Level 3 diploma and BTEC

I am new to UK (Manchester) and currently applying for further education courses from the Manchester College since I am afraid no sixth form college will accept me (former grades have no comparability to uk grades and I’m over 16 so I can’t go through council ). But I see some qualifications are marked as BTEC extended diploma (lv 3) and some are just diploma (lv 3). I want to continue with higher education (university) later so I need a equivalent to 3 a levels. I know BTEC is equivalent to 3 a levels but what about diploma? Thanks!
The diploma is equivalent to 2 a levels, I believe.
Thanks!
Original post by Chr1stopher.C
I am new to UK (Manchester) and currently applying for further education courses from the Manchester College since I am afraid no sixth form college will accept me (former grades have no comparability to uk grades and I’m over 16 so I can’t go through council ). But I see some qualifications are marked as BTEC extended diploma (lv 3) and some are just diploma (lv 3). I want to continue with higher education (university) later so I need a equivalent to 3 a levels. I know BTEC is equivalent to 3 a levels but what about diploma? Thanks!

Hi there good luck for choosing your course for further education.

BTEC have Diploma and Extended Diploma. So BTEC Diploma is equivalent to 2 A levels and BTEC Extended Diploma is 3 A level equivalent.

The Diploma and Extended Diploma in BTEC will be second year though which is equivalent to last year of A levels.

So BTEC is a two year there is Foundation Diploma year 1 then Extended Diploma year 2
I see. So either I can only take an BTEC extended or a diploma and a A level to have 3 A level equivalent going to UNI?
Original post by Chr1stopher.C
I see. So either I can only take an BTEC extended or a diploma and a A level to have 3 A level equivalent going to UNI?

So looking at the requirements if you have 4 GCSES 4-9 grade this is the extended certificate but the better option is Extended Diploma 5GCSES 4-9

But if you took the BTEC extended Diploma you would have 3 A level equivalence which will enable you to go to uni

However BTEC Extended Certificate you have 2 A levels then would have to do a A level after to get to uni

So BTEC Extended Diploma with 3 A level equivalence will allow you to go to uni
Thanks! Sorry but also, is triple vocational A level courses the same with A levels? What grades would it shows since it’s actually only one course? The uni I wanted to go needs at least BBB but I can’t find entry requirements for vocational courses.
The course name is “Technical Theatre National Foundation Diploma Level 3” and it’s a triple vocational A level

Quick Reply

Latest