The Student Room Group

Doing a level chemistry in one year??

So I am doing bio, maths, psychology and epq and would like to do medicine but don't do chem. Do you think it is possible to do a level chem within the 2 year window so that I have a lot more choices for med schools that I can apply to? I was thinking of doing it privately through the uk open college as you can do a level chemistry in one year. I know I would need to drop a subject and would probably drop either psychology or epq due to the difficulty of doing this

any advice? has anyone done this before and could they share their experience?

Scroll to see replies

chemistry is not essential for medicine, but it is very very helpful. I would drop maths or psychology and do chemistry instead. It is a heavy A-level, and you would need to do the practical endorsement, which is expensive to do privately.
Reply 2
Original post by CatInTheCorner
chemistry is not essential for medicine, but it is very very helpful. I would drop maths or psychology and do chemistry instead. It is a heavy A-level, and you would need to do the practical endorsement, which is expensive to do privately.

I am in year 12 right now and doubt that my school would let me change a levels now which is why I am thinking of doing it privately, although I understand that it is expensive. Thanks for your input :smile:
Reply 3
I find biology and psychology the easiest and maths quite difficult sometimes so I would probably drop maths. But I actually like maths and think it would be useful with biology and chemistry if I end up doing it. My main reason for wanting to do chemistry is that it would open a lot more options for med school that I can apply to as I would like to stay in London if possible and there is only 1 London med school that I can apply to currently. However the problem is that I may not do well in all of my a level subjects due to picking up chemistry now and may not get the best grades (although I am very hard working and am getting As and A* now)
Could you re-do year 12 with bio, chem and psychology? Or take a gap year and do Chemistry in your gap year?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by booklover1313
Could you re-do year 12 with bio, chem and psychology?

the problem with that option is that it would be considered a resit and not a lot of med schools accept resits :frown: (none of the ones that I would like to go do will accept it)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Idk131
the problem with that option is that it would be considered a resit and not a lot of med schools accept resits :frown: (none of the ones that I would like to go do will accept it)

Sorry I edited my post haha and I added in the option of doing chemistry in a gap year? What do you think of that?
Reply 7
that would also not be accepted and be considered as a 'resit' unfortunately :frown:
Original post by Idk131
that would also not be accepted and be considered as a 'resit' unfortunately :frown:

Are you 100% sure? Even though you didn't do the exam? (same with redoing year 12)
Have you emailed the admissions departments to check?
I'm just asking because (not for medicine) but I did an extra A level in my gap year for uni, and it was accepted by everywhere I applied, including Oxford. So it wasn't counted as a resit.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes ik people who have done furthermaths in a year. And i think also chem. It is possible, and since you’re in year 12, you would need to use your time wisely. I suggest trying to complete as much AS content or more in chem, during the summer holiday.
However when doing it privately, it will be very expensive.
If money isn’t an issue, then yeh i don’t see why doing chem in one year should be an issue.
Hope this helps.
Reply 10
Are you 100% sure? Even though you didn't do the exam? (same with redoing year 12)
Have you emailed the admissions departments to check?
I'm just asking because (not for medicine) but I did an extra A level in my gap year for uni, and it was accepted by everywhere I applied, including Oxford.

You doing an extra alevel doesn’t mean you’re resitting. So you wouldn’t be considered a resit.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 2022 g
You doing an extra alevel doesn’t mean you’re resitting. So you wouldn’t be considered a resit.

Yes, that is what I mean. If op continues with the 3 A levels at school, and then does chemistry in a gap year, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be counted as a resit.
Reply 12
but they require you do a levels within a two year window so in year 12 and 13
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Idk131

I think that it means for each course you take, you need to do it in 2 years? Honestly, email and check whether doing chemistry A level in a gap year would be accepted, because I think it should be.
Reply 14
Yes, that is what I mean. If op continues with the 3 A levels at school, and then does chemistry in a gap year, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be counted as a resit.

Oh fair play. Sorry i didn’t read your other posts.
Yeah then you’re right. OP should be fine.
However OP is wanting to do medicine. And a lot of top unis require alevels to be done in one sitting. As medicine is very competitive.

Original post by Idk131

I think you should call the university admission team and see what they say.
Reply 15
Ok I will do that thanks
Reply 16
they just asked me to keep an eye out for the medicine course page as the entry requirements could change :s-smilie: not useful at all :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Idk131
they just asked me to keep an eye out for the medicine course page as the entry requirements could change :s-smilie: not useful at all :frown:

Did you not tell them, if taking an extra A Level (being chemistry) in a gap year, would affect your application for applying medicine?
Original post by Idk131

Which uni did you email?
I would be really specific in the question you ask, i.e. would an A level taken in a gap year be counted as a resit
If you don't get a proper answer, email them back and ask for clarification?
Reply 19
Which uni did you email?
I would be really specific in the question you ask, i.e. would an A level taken in a gap year be counted as a resit
If you don't get a proper answer, email them back and ask for clarification?

I called KCL and also emailed them, maybe they would provide a better answer by email?

Latest