The Student Room Group

Suspended at tesco for using deoderant can before purchase. How will this go?

Today i was called onto the till as i walked past originally intending to run upstairs and sprey myself as i was far too warm and sweaty to work. Instead, i sat on the till and served until it was quiet enough to go sprey. I descided to just get one from the shop floor and i can buy it later. I grabbed it. Spreyed and brung it to the till with me. I just placed it on the floor next to me where it did roll underneath a fixture slightly and i just planned to grab it and pay later on.

So then im called into office and told a colleague had reported seeing this. I was told the procedure or suspension with investrgation while it was being written down by another manager. I was allowed to speak at the end and i just calmh said along the lines "i had never any intention to steal this product, i just used it before i paid. I am however aware that this is not acceptable for a colleague as we must keep our recipts for what we buy and we cant consume/use anything before purchase. So i understand the action being taken"

Im suspended with full pay. I hope to have the meeting soon. Im worried i wont be velieved and even worse im worried they may want to analyse footage from the past in which i have been known to take items from the bakery at the end of days or before lunch because all the managers have basically said its fine. Ive seen them do it and they always let me. Im just worried because ive done that A LOT (me and my girlfriend love crossaints lol) . I also am a bit of a magpie and tend to spot change and all sorts aroind the store. I know technically i shouldnt hold any change so maybe being seen carrying aby or finding any or showing colleagues specufic coins or amounts there of might look very suspiscious on cctv?

Does anyone have any advice on this? Does it seem likely i can honestly and calmy explain my way through this and retain my job with a newly hammared in lesson about following rules?
Reply 1
I don't think you have a leg to stand on - you have contravened the company policies and your actions amount to gross misconduct.

It's theft or criminal damage. I think you will be lucky to keep your job as the deodorant is not an isolated incident. There seem to be many more incidents of questionable dishonesty.
Original post by beanwizza
Today i was called onto the till as i walked past originally intending to run upstairs and sprey myself as i was far too warm and sweaty to work. Instead, i sat on the till and served until it was quiet enough to go sprey. I descided to just get one from the shop floor and i can buy it later. I grabbed it. Spreyed and brung it to the till with me. I just placed it on the floor next to me where it did roll underneath a fixture slightly and i just planned to grab it and pay later on.

So then im called into office and told a colleague had reported seeing this. I was told the procedure or suspension with investrgation while it was being written down by another manager. I was allowed to speak at the end and i just calmh said along the lines "i had never any intention to steal this product, i just used it before i paid. I am however aware that this is not acceptable for a colleague as we must keep our recipts for what we buy and we cant consume/use anything before purchase. So i understand the action being taken"

Im suspended with full pay. I hope to have the meeting soon. Im worried i wont be velieved and even worse im worried they may want to analyse footage from the past in which i have been known to take items from the bakery at the end of days or before lunch because all the managers have basically said its fine. Ive seen them do it and they always let me. Im just worried because ive done that A LOT (me and my girlfriend love crossaints lol) . I also am a bit of a magpie and tend to spot change and all sorts aroind the store. I know technically i shouldnt hold any change so maybe being seen carrying aby or finding any or showing colleagues specufic coins or amounts there of might look very suspiscious on cctv?

Does anyone have any advice on this? Does it seem likely i can honestly and calmy explain my way through this and retain my job with a newly hammared in lesson about following rules?

I'm absolutely surprised to hear that staff actually was allowed to take stuff from the bakery area without actually paying for it as I have not heard that one before 🤠.... I'm not disputing it because it's probably upto individual manager's at every store what they do and let the staff have. Sometimes manager's can grab things from the shelves but still pay for it...!!
Now I doubt that they will actually look back at the CCTV footage from the past because they only keep information for about a month or so backed up incase it's required and I think that they would have by now had yourself and others in the office about things like what you said.

Now getting back to what you did with the deodorant spray is stupid thing to do in the first place by just taking it off the shelves and not paying for it first before using it.
Yes you correct about the information about keeping the receipt of purchases and cannot eat or drink anything before purchasing it first and then either going to the staff canteen or outside of the building before eating or drinking anything.

You broken rules but yet expecting to keep your job......?? I would be surprised if you get to keep your job after they investigated things and give you a final warning instead of the usual procedure of warning, written warning and then sacked.
They will probably look at whether or not you'll do this again if you was given the opportunity to keep your job as will look at it as theft or gross misconduct.
The problem is can you not do that sort of thing again as that is something that you can't answer as you could easily do this again without actually thinking about what you just done and I think you'll not even get another opportunity in keeping your job if you did do something like that again..... As be instantly dismissed.

I agree with what OP said in post#2 about things.

Unfortunately I know what Tesco policy is about things as a stand in supervisor and t/leader plus I was a shop steward with them upto 6 year's ago.

You'll need to get advice from the Union if you are member of it
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
I'm absolutely surprised to hear that staff actually was allowed to take stuff from the bakery area without actually paying for it as I have not heard that one before 🤠.... I'm not disputing it because it's probably upto individual manager's at every store what they do and let the staff have. Sometimes manager's can grab things from the shelves but still pay for it...!!
Now I doubt that they will actually look back at the CCTV footage from the past because they only keep information for about a month or so backed up incase it's required and I think that they would have by now had yourself and others in the office about things like what you said.

Now getting back to what you did with the deodorant spray is stupid thing to do in the first place by just taking it off the shelves and not paying for it first before using it.
Yes you correct about the information about keeping the receipt of purchases and cannot eat or drink anything before purchasing it first and then either going to the staff canteen or outside of the building before eating or drinking anything.

You broken rules but yet expecting to keep your job......?? I would be surprised if you get to keep your job after they investigated things and give you a final warning instead of the usual procedure of warning, written warning and then sacked.
They will probably look at whether or not you'll do this again if you was given the opportunity to keep your job as will look at it as theft or gross misconduct.
The problem is can you not do that sort of thing again as that is something that you can't answer as you could easily do this again without actually thinking about what you just done and I think you'll not even get another opportunity in keeping your job if you did do something like that again..... As be instantly dismissed.

I agree with what OP said in post#2 about things.

Unfortunately I know what Tesco policy is about things as a stand in supervisor and t/leader plus I was a shop steward with them upto 6 year's ago.

You'll need to get advice from the Union if you are member of it

Do ypu think ill be given a final warning? Ice been with the company 2.5 years. Worked in 3 different stores. Im a good worker. I lnow ive broken a rule and im wondering if theyre likely to not want to give me any other chance
Do ypu think ill be given a final warning? Ice been with the company 2.5 years. Worked in 3 different stores. Im a good worker. I lnow ive broken a rule and im wondering if theyre likely to not want to give me any other chance

To be brutally honest with you about this I can't really say what the outcome will be because it's up to the individual store manager and the human resources department to determine your future. As they will have to look at all the available evidence etc and listen to your side of things before deciding what to do. Each discipline case has its own outcomes.

If they think it's worth a final warning then you'll be given that but they could dismissed you.....

I would hope that you will be given a opportunity to stay with them but unfortunately it not my decision 🙂🙂

You are probably best to discuss things further with a Union representative as they will go in with you whenever you have this disciplinary hearing with your manager.
I’d be very surprised if they fired you over this deodorant can incident. I’d imagine maybe a written warning or something. If you end up keeping your job then learn from this and don’t use anything before paying again. Also, maybe stop taking stuff from the bakery without paying, even if the managers say it’s fine because it could still be something they could use against you in the future. Croissants are dirt cheap, I’m sure you can easily afford them!

I think there’s more to it than just the deodorant, your taking change you find home with you and also taking things from the bakery. It seems that a colleague has seen you with he deodorant and told a manager but I wouldn’t be surprised if your managers have been watching you for a while noticing these things and now have something solid on you. You will probably struggle with whatever the outcome is as the company will not be able to trust you. Also you never mention if you did pay for it.
I used to work at another supermarket and know a few people that did similar things, they were simply told to pay for the item, it never went further than that. However they weren’t taking things for free from the bakery or pocketing money from around the store.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending