The Student Room Group

A level RS dialogues question- need help

I've been given the question, 'Chrisitan teachings about homosexuality and transgender issues are no longer morally acceptable' Critically examine and evaluate this view with reference to the dialogue between Christianity and ethical studies' to complete in timed conditions in class, on Friday. However, I have no clue how to even approach this question, how to go about structuring my essay, how many paragraphs, or what to include in each paragraph, because whenever my teacher tries explaining, it confuses me so much. Does anybody know how they would structure this essay?
Reply 1
Original post by Grace Appleby
I've been given the question, 'Chrisitan teachings about homosexuality and transgender issues are no longer morally acceptable' Critically examine and evaluate this view with reference to the dialogue between Christianity and ethical studies' to complete in timed conditions in class, on Friday. However, I have no clue how to even approach this question, how to go about structuring my essay, how many paragraphs, or what to include in each paragraph, because whenever my teacher tries explaining, it confuses me so much. Does anybody know how they would structure this essay?

Paragraph 1:

explain traditional conservative views on homoseuxality & transgenderism

Critique with liberal view of the Bible, and liberal view of sexual ethics

Decide whether liberal Christian views are acceptable enough for today.

Paragraph 2:

Explain secular utilitarianism and its view on sexual ethics

Evaluate whether this secular view on sexual ethics is a valid standard against which Christianity might be judged. Criticisms of utilitarianism.

Decide whether utilitarianism is valid - if so, that suggests at least conservative christianity is not morally acceptable on sexual ethics

Paragraph 3:

Explain situation ethics and its view on on sexual ethics

Assess whether it is a true valid form of Christian ethics

If so, assess whether it is morally acceptable today - if not, then conclude which version of Christianity is valid (conservative, liberal or Fletcher) and whether its views are acceptable today.

You could do natural law instead of situation ethics.

Quick Reply