GCSE help :(

Watch this thread
cs1233
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys i'm looking to do a plumbing course in college, and need maths, English, and science. (all at grade 4) i can pass English with very little revision but i'm struggling to revise for maths and science and the first exam is 6 weeks away. any help?
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
tell me more
cs1233
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
well my grades atm are bad im getting 3s in maths and science and was wondering if in a month i could boost it up to a 4 with a decent amount of revision?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cs1233)
well my grades atm are bad im getting 3s in maths and science and was wondering if in a month i could boost it up to a 4 with a decent amount of revision?
You can certainly improve in a month and going from 3 to 4 in maths isn't a huge jump. The advanced information for maths tells you which topics will be tested and on which paper so you have a detailed list of what you need to learn/revise/practice. I don't know how good it is for science. Make sure you have the advanced information, your teacher should have provided it and it can be found on your examiners web sites. If you are doing Edexcel maths your teacher should be able to give you access to practice questions from past papers for every topic that is in the exams. For this year you don't have to memorise many formulae, most will be given to you. Make sure you know what will be provided and what they are used for.

Practice is key to doing well in the exams, by doing relevant past paper questions you will see there are only so many ways examiners can write a question and you'll hopefully get better at answering them. There are lots of websites that can help you revise. Some are free, others you have to pay for.
e.g. Maths
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
Science
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zrkw2hv

Other people may have better alternatives so ask around.

If you learn well from reading books then there are loads of good revision guides (to learn the content) and practice workbooks (to practice exam style questions) you can buy that are not too expensive. You might have older friends, neighbours or relatives who have them from the past and will give you them.
If you buy anything make sure it matches your actual examiner and exam tier (foundation/higher)
CGP ones are used widely
e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...ps%2C56&sr=8-5
I like the Pearson ones if you are doing Pearson/Edexcel exams
e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edex...s%2C87&sr=8-14
I also like the BBC Bitesize ones
e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bitesize-Ma...s%2C87&sr=8-11

You might need some help to improve in such a short time so do you have a friend to work with or family member who could help you from time to time?

Good luck. Keep in mind that if necessary you can do an extra year at college to improve your maths and science if you need to and then start the plumbing training later.
Last edited by gdunne42; 4 months ago
AvfcWalpole7
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cs1233)
Hi guys i'm looking to do a plumbing course in college, and need maths, English, and science. (all at grade 4) i can pass English with very little revision but i'm struggling to revise for maths and science and the first exam is 6 weeks away. any help?
For Science do you not have revision guides? I took my GCSEs in 2019 and the whole of science was based in the revision guides which had questions to answer and check, also it shown examles of experiments. Revision guides were the main reason I passed science. Note: I took Combined Science Trilogy. The same goes for maths, I looked through my old work, and had guides. I had to learn equations for maths and science too, but I think you get them provided.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads