Laptop for Uni

Watch this thread
enya:)
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I will be studying biomedical sciences, and was wondering what would the best suited computer/laptop be? i have surface pro that is really old now and need to start looking for something else
thanks
westty
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
hi, do you want to stick with a similar type of device or get a laptop? What is your budget and would you be open to refurbished and 2nd hand machines? Saving can be huge. Please take a moment on some of the recent discussions to give you an idea what can be obtained than buying new.
Rep:
Im not sure. I would need to be drawing diagrams as well as the laptop function
Do you know of any 'dual' devices?
thanks
charleyhowells
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Im a 2nd year BMS student. I have a MacBook Air 2020 that has served me really well. I use it mostly for assignments and research. It's quick and not bulky so super convenient for a commuting student like myself. I know they are quite a lot of money for a laptop but for me it has been ideal. Of course if you think you will require it for more than purely academic work, maybe look at something different. Just my suggestion!
Rep:
(Original post by charleyhowells)
Im a 2nd year BMS student. I have a MacBook Air 2020 that has served me really well. I use it mostly for assignments and research. It's quick and not bulky so super convenient for a commuting student like myself. I know they are quite a lot of money for a laptop but for me it has been ideal. Of course if you think you will require it for more than purely academic work, maybe look at something different. Just my suggestion!
Thank you!
How does it work with diagrams etc? do you scan them in or are there aren't many diagram at all?
westty
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You have a few options for 2-in-1 devices:

1) Apple iPad / iPad Pro + Keyboard & Pencil
2) Microsoft Surface
3) Microsoft Windows devices from Lenovo, Dell, HP & Asus

If you need some additional info, take a look at a 2-in-1 review article: https://uk.pcmag.com/2-in-convertibl...hybrid-laptops
Hopefully, give you some ideas of what you might like to get for your budget.
Rep:
(Original post by westty)
You have a few options for 2-in-1 devices:

1) Apple iPad / iPad Pro + Keyboard & Pencil
2) Microsoft Surface
3) Microsoft Windows devices from Lenovo, Dell, HP & Asus

If you need some additional info, take a look at a 2-in-1 review article: https://uk.pcmag.com/2-in-convertibl...hybrid-laptops
Hopefully, give you some ideas of what you might like to get for your budget.
Thank you very much for the help
charleyhowells
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by enya:))
Thank you!
How does it work with diagrams etc? do you scan them in or are there aren't many diagram at all?
For hand drawn diagrams I actually use Adobe Scan on my phone but to be honest I don't deal with many diagrams! do also have the Apple iPad with keyboard and pencil (usually tech shops do deals for students on the iPad, keyboard and pencil around the time University is starting back up again!) which I use for notes to save on paper and stay more organised. It might be good for hand drawing diagrams. For my notes I use an app called notability which Im sure is now a free application and you can actually insert diagrams from google straight into your notes! Alot of my friends use the iPad for their assignments so that's another suggestion for you instead of a full laptop!
Last edited by charleyhowells; 4 weeks ago
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Report 4 weeks ago
Hp spectre x360 2022
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by charleyhowells)
For hand drawn diagrams I actually use Adobe Scan on my phone but to be honest I don't deal with many diagrams! do also have the Apple iPad with keyboard and pencil (usually tech shops do deals for students on the iPad, keyboard and pencil around the time University is starting back up again!) which I use for notes to save on paper and stay more organised. It might be good for hand drawing diagrams. For my notes I use an app called notability which Im sure is now a free application and you can actually insert diagrams from google straight into your notes! Alot of my friends use the iPad for their assignments so that's another suggestion for you instead of a full laptop!
Thank you
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JAckieee.chan)
Hp spectre x360 2022
Thank you.
What’s the durability of it? Coz with my surface I’ve had to have it serviced quite a few times
Amanda Mbekela
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Laptop is the right one because you can keep the information there and also u
you can use email or send emails there
Amanda Mbekela
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Laptop is right for unirvesity because you can keep the information and use it to send emails there so I think you should use a laptop
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (8)
34.78%
As I expected (4)
17.39%
Harder (10)
43.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads