The Student Room Group

Rumours Spread

When I was 13 two girls spread a rumour that I watched them getting changed on a school trip. At the time I had no idea that they were spreading this round. I would get asked odd questions by people but I never knew about the rumour until years later. I didn’t do anything wrong but yet they’ve got me crying years later. Ugh
Reply 1
Well when you are 13 years old and finding what ways to wield power in the world - those 2 girls have certainly found it.

Tell them to ****off in your head. Diminish it to a primary school level prank and ask yourself why that comment mattered so much?

If you allow them to invade your head space so much who is being the primary school student? Unless of course there was some truth to the rumour and it has 'hooked' you in somehow.

Whatever you allow yourself to feel is your responsibility. No one else can control your head or your thought train. You cannot change yesterday, only how you feel about it today. Just be aware when unwanted doubts or thoughts occur, then block them with an image that removes them (imagine them shrinking down like a deflated balloon to nothing)
Original post by Muttly
Well when you are 13 years old and finding what ways to wield power in the world - those 2 girls have certainly found it.

Tell them to ****off in your head. Diminish it to a primary school level prank and ask yourself why that comment mattered so much?

If you allow them to invade your head space so much who is being the primary school student? Unless of course there was some truth to the rumour and it has 'hooked' you in somehow.

Whatever you allow yourself to feel is your responsibility. No one else can control your head or your thought train. You cannot change yesterday, only how you feel about it today. Just be aware when unwanted doubts or thoughts occur, then block them with an image that removes them (imagine them shrinking down like a deflated balloon to nothing)

I think it got to me because the boy I liked at the time heard and asked me horrible questions. You are right though I shouldn’t let them live rent free in my head.
Original post by Anonymous
I think it got to me because the boy I liked at the time heard and asked me horrible questions. You are right though I shouldn’t let them live rent free in my head.

I'm so sorry about that. I get what you're going through kind of, back when I was 13, I was bullied by one of the most popular girls in school and she always spread rumors about me, made me really insecure as I was going through other things at home, and it still had me tearing up even years after. I will tell you though, that it gets better over time, you don't deserve that kind of hate and no one does. People like that exist and they try to bring you down but in the end of the day, you're not defined by them.

I hope you find solace, and feel better about this over time. It does get better, I promise. Try focusing on newer experiences and positive thoughts, over time the things they did and the rumors diminish in value. You're your own person.

Quick Reply

Latest