The Student Room Group

I am a first year OT student. Ask me anything.

(I haven't gone on placement yet, but I can answer other questions)
How hard is the biology content?
Reply 2
Original post by violapond
How hard is the biology content?

Hi, I would say it depends on how recently you have studied biology. Personally, before this course, I haven't studied biology since GCSEs (I also gap yeared) so it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I would not say the content is super difficult (I could understant most of what was taught but some of it was confusing/challenging to understand) but it was more challenging in terms of how much there is to get through as we cover a lot in a short space of time.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi - thanks so much for this, I've been hoping to talk to a current student! Could I please ask:
- Roughly how much time you spend in lectures?
- How much of the content is Biology/Anatomy based?
- Are there many mature students on your course?
- Is there any particular reading you recommend that would be helpful to look at before the course starts?
- Is it like Physio where you have to undress partially in some workshops so you can learn to examine, practising on each other?

Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by jessica045
Hi - thanks so much for this, I've been hoping to talk to a current student! Could I please ask:
- Roughly how much time you spend in lectures?
- How much of the content is Biology/Anatomy based?
- Are there many mature students on your course?
- Is there any particular reading you recommend that would be helpful to look at before the course starts?
- Is it like Physio where you have to undress partially in some workshops so you can learn to examine, practising on each other?

Thank you so much!

Hey, no worries at all!

- At my uni specifically, we spend around 3-4 hours ish a week on lectures. These are all still online and prerecorded (this was beneficial for me as I find it easier to take notes this way, but I know it's different for everyone. Maybe lectures will be in person for next year)

- I would say around 1/5 of my first year content has been biology/anatomy based. Although it's pretty evenly spread between the amount you cover between biology and psychology, I definitely found anatomy more challenging (though not impossible) to grasp

- My cohort is fairly big (for an OT course anyway) so I cant speak for the whole cohort but 1/4 of my class is mature students. I would say as a guess majority of people in my cohort are not mature students

- I would say extra reading is not necessary (I didn't do any before joining) but if you want to get ahead with anatomy content I reccomend Marieb and Hoehn's anatomy and physiology (11th Ed.). A lot of what we covered in anatomy was in this book, I would say focus particularly on joints and the structures within the joints. But this textbook may be expensive , so if you wanna save your money look on the internet about joint structures and joint movement (kenhub or teach me anatomy for example). I wouldn't say you need a textbook at this stage, your uni may reccomend some anyways but just if u wanted a reccomendation there you go

- Nope, I have personally never had to do this. I have however had role play sessions (We were put into groups where one of us had to be a client and the others had to be OTs) where someone put clothes on/off but they did this while fully dressed. They just brought baggy clothes for role play

Hope this helps!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest