The Student Room Group

Should I do Triple or Combined Higher Science?

I'm in set 1 for science and I'm currently working at a level 4/5 for chemistry, a 4/5 for physics and a 5/6 for biology. I'm predicted a 7 for all 3 but evidently I am not achieving that. I want to do Maths, Computer Science and Economics for A level (I'm at a grade 7 for Maths, Computer Science and English Language which is all I need to do the courses), and I'm planning to do a Computer Science degree.

My question is this, will doing combined science be better for me in the long term rather than doing triple science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what year are you?
Reply 2
if your set 1, you should do it since your capable of doing better than combined science, im doing combined and got 13 percent so yeah
Reply 3
Original post by 273544
what year are you?

year 11
Reply 4
I'm only in set 1 because of my sats results, my school didn't bother changing our sets around because they thought it'd be unfair because of covid lol
Do triple cause then your worse science wont affect your other grades and it’s really not that much harder
Reply 6
Original post by Poisenivy
Do triple cause then your worse science wont affect your other grades and it’s really not that much harder

oh ok, thanks ☺️
Reply 7
Original post by herme1a
year 11

ahhh i would suggest doing triple
Reply 8
ok thank you !
Reply 9
Original post by herme1a
ok thank you !

Wait do you choose in year 11?
Original post by Poisenivy

Yeah and if you are aiming for straight 9s then when employer looks at it they’ll see:

Biology: 6
Chem: 5
Phys: 4

Versus

Science 1: 5
Science 2: 5

Triple looks better
If I recall correctly, the grade boundaries are incredibly low as the people who take double science tend to not be so good at science in the first place.
(edited 1 year ago)
Wat are grade boundaries
Ohhhh pass fail I’m dum lol
Also found this:

Original post by Rik_12.25
I’m doing the 9-1 triple science at the moment and at first it seems very rushed and hard to catch up but my class have finished the biology and chemistry course last week and we’ve only got a small topic on waves left! It’s just as hard as combined science but there’s more to learn- if you want to be a medic/ science person or you are interested in some of the additional triple content go for it. If you’ve never really liked the sciences and your just doing it for an extra qualification it’s not worth it.
Original post by herme1a
I'm in set 1 for science and I'm currently working at a level 4/5 for chemistry, a 4/5 for physics and a 5/6 for biology. I'm predicted a 7 for all 3 but evidently I am not achieving that. I want to do Maths, Computer Science and Economics for A level (I'm at a grade 7 for Maths, Computer Science and English Language which is all I need to do the courses), and I'm planning to do a Computer Science degree.

My question is this, will doing combined science be better for me in the long term rather than doing triple science?

I did combined (my school didn't do triple as too many people did subpar the year before mine lmao) most of my friends at college did triple and we came to the general consensus that there wasn't a big difference between the two in terms of content but the grade boundaries in combined are far nicer.

My friend had 7 in bio 7 in Chem and 9 in physics whereas i only had 9:9. He still has the advantage when applying to uni courses which score GCSEs. Honestly… best to talk to your teacher about things.
Original post by Sunfish/Squid
I did combined (my school didn't do triple as too many people did subpar the year before mine lmao) most of my friends at college did triple and we came to the general consensus that there wasn't a big difference between the two in terms of content but the grade boundaries in combined are far nicer.

My friend had 7 in bio 7 in Chem and 9 in physics whereas i only had 9:9. He still has the advantage when applying to uni courses which score GCSEs. Honestly… best to talk to your teacher about things.

How many universities would treat an applicant with 7 7 9 favourably over an applicant with 9:9 and for which courses?
Both sets of grades are impressive and secondly, dependent on the uni, wouldn't they more be looking at the GCSE profile as a whole?
since the topic is computer science, do any of you know the solution to this problem?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71788107/unable-to-get-expected-output-java-barrier-implementation
Original post by Alicecrom
How many universities would treat an applicant with 7 7 9 favourably over an applicant with 9:9 and for which courses?
Both sets of grades are impressive and secondly, dependent on the uni, wouldn't they more be looking at the GCSE profile as a whole?

Typing on phone so please forgive any weird spag.

Hiya, me and my friend both applied to medicine so our experience might be a bit more different to yours since it seems you're interested in comp sci? I would recommend spending a hour or so just googling some courses at different unis(look at the national rankings for comp sci and get a good range). This can be helpful in choosing your a levels too as some unis can be REALLY picky.

There's so many unis out there that i can't give you a definite answer. The way each uni considers their applicants should be listed on the course websites. My friends who applied to comp sci at really prestigious universities(imperial/Oxford) all had to undergo a interview.

The way they allocated the slots for both med and comp sci course was based on predicted a levels, entrance exam scores and your GCSES. For my case one of my unis (this is for med) listed a point equivalent for your all your GCSES:
9/8= 4
7=3
6=1
Anything below a 6 didn't get any points.
They then had a cut off score for those who would get a interview and those who would not. So my friend had (4+3+3…) whereas i had (4+4…).

For the last question, once again I'm not too familiar with comp sci so i can't really give you a educated answer. However, some unis just ask for a certain amount of GCSEs above a threshold but they all they all want different things. From a quick google:

-Manchester Uni
5 GCSES/iGCSES at Grade A/7 or B/6 (both numeric and letter grade).

Mathematics (please note we do not accept Applied GCSE Mathematics courses e.g. WJEC Mathematics - Numeracy)
Two Science subjects from Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Science and Additional Science.

-Edinburgh Uni
GCSEs: English at C or 4. (nothing else is specified but they expect high a levels )

-Leeds
Computing. Grade B (6) or above in GCSE Mathematics is required if no Mathematics A-level is taken.

GCSE: English Language at grade C (4) or above, or an appropriate English language qualification. We will accept Level 2 Functional Skills English in lieu of GCSE English.

As you can see, unis are weird and sometimes really vague. They all want different things, if u have any unis in mind already(i know it's really early) best be safe and look it up. Perhaps ask in the computer science forms? I'm sure there's people with more experience applying with that course than me.

Good luck with your studies :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Inc3me
Yeah and if you are aiming for straight 9s then when employer looks at it they’ll see:

Biology: 6
Chem: 5
Phys: 4

Versus

Science 1: 5
Science 2: 5

Triple looks better

ah ok, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest