This discussion is closed.
Font
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
which of these unis do you reckon is the best for an insurance? considering employability, quality of life, quality of the maths degree, and social life there? :confused:

I'm a quiet & shy person - any idea which one of these would suit me? Preferably a rural setting; not sure whether york or durham fits this description.
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
employability and quality of maths degrees - all good universities so dont see a problem there
quality of life and social agenda can mean so many different things, wihtout knowing what you like how can you tell. some people thrive in a london uni and would hate the relative backwardness of the social life at durham, which is what a heck of a lot of people love about the place.
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
which of these unis do you reckon is the best for an insurance? considering employability, quality of life, quality of the maths degree, and social agenda? :confused:
What do you mean by social agenda?
Font
Rep:
?
(Original post by d750)
What do you mean by social agenda?
meant social life and stuff - sorry, my english was poor - i've edited it
Ventricles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
which of these unis do you reckon is the best for an insurance? considering employability, quality of life, quality of the maths degree, and social life there? :confused:

I'm a quiet & shy person - any idea which one of these would suit me? Preferably a rural setting; not sure whether york or durham fits this description.
from what your saying about yourelf, i would say durham. its fairly rural, VERY pretty, kinda quiet, but a great place! (its my insurance )
I know the nightlife isnt that great but newcastle is only about 15 mins away and the nightlife there is
Also at durham you have the college system which is probably good if your quite shy as you'll get that small community, and i know all colleges at durham make sure they have a good time! (i know quite alot of people who went/go there and they all loved it)

not sure about the quality of the maths degree, but durham is a well respected university and employers wont turn their noses up at a degree
from there!

Hope this helps you,
Lucy xxx
Toni Mag
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi
what do you do about insurance offer when all your offers are AAA?
danmint
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
pray you get 3 a's
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toni Mag)
what do you do about insurance offer when all your offers are AAA?
pick the one that you like 2nd most.. or, the one you think will be most lenient with the grades.

i had a friend who went for the one she liked 2nd most, grades the same as the first. missed the offer, neither would take her, but calling one of her previous offers they told her if she'd make them insurance they would have let her in anyway.. :mad:
Font
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ventricles)
from what your saying about yourelf, i would say durham. its fairly rural, VERY pretty, kinda quiet, but a great place! (its my insurance
cool, what durham college you applied to? i applied to St chads lol - was rather random and based my decision on the size (chads smallest), position (sloset to maths dep i believe for those lazy mornings), an highest no of firsts out of all the durham college, lol - so there is the whole lot in the bag - pretty cool, but durham ranks 30th for amths, and this is really putting me off :eek:
Ventricles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
cool, what durham college you applied to? i applied to St chads lol - was rather random and based my decision on the size (chads smallest), position (sloset to maths dep i believe for those lazy mornings), an highest no of firsts out of all the durham college, lol - so there is the whole lot in the bag - pretty cool, but durham ranks 30th for amths, and this is really putting me off :eek:
hey, i applied to st aidans ( fairly near the science dep! i know someone who went there and loved it, and also there fairly good at rowing! ) i don't know much about chads but i'm sure you'd have a great time there!

it might be 30th, but if you think, thats 30th out of quite a large no.! i still think it would be a decent degree! but you need to think about whats most important to you i guess, is it the course (or quality of course)? or whether your going to have a good time and enjoy it? i don't think you should go somewhere if you arnt going to enjoy yourself and like the place just because its higher up in some table. your gonna spend a large chunk of your life there, you have to like it! but thats personnal choice....

Lucy xxx
Font
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ventricles)
hey, i applied to st aidans ( fairly near the science dep! i know someone who went there and loved it, and also there fairly good at rowing! ) i don't know much about chads but i'm sure you'd have a great time there!

it might be 30th, but if you think, thats 30th out of quite a large no.! i still think it would be a decent degree! but you need to think about whats most important to you i guess, is it the course (or quality of course)? or whether your going to have a good time and enjoy it? i don't think you should go somewhere if you arnt going to enjoy yourself and like the place just because its higher up in some table. your gonna spend a large chunk of your life there, you have to like it! but thats personnal choice....

Lucy xxx

so true.

UCL seems to be unpopular for some reason, lol. funnily enough it ranks higher than oxford, for maths!!! how ridiculous is that! damn with league tables, lol

Its between durham and imperial i think...but thing is there is no rock-climbing in Durham, and i'll be donig a lot of that in uni!!
Font
Rep:
?
lot of people saying Imperial... still thinking hard about it my school teachers are saying Imperial also, but i donno - i'd prob have to stay home if i went there, and don't really like the idea of that!!!!!
Font
Rep:
?
thanks for all your posts! I'm gonna visit york on wednesday, and durham in march - just for fun i suppose - am sort of adament about imperial, but just gonna check out the social scene up there in the north; you never know, it could sway my decision, lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads