The Student Room Group

Arden School of Theatre - 1st Year, 2022

Hi,

I'm going to be starting at Arden School of Theatre, Manchester as a first year in 2022 on the Musical Theatre BA Hons course - I know their new campus is said to be a two minute walk from Manchester Victoria Station, so is close to that as well as Manchester Arena but I am struggling to find any accommodation. The school doesn't have any accommodation currently, so would be looking for student accommodation nearby Manchester Victoria ideally, or as close as possible.

If anyone is having this same issue, knows any places to look or people to contact that would be perfect, thank you!!
Reply 1
Hi, my daughter is in her final year at The Arden - in her first year she stayed in Victoria Point (Hello Student) student accommodation, which is about a 20 minute walk from The Arden. A lot of people on her course stayed there in their first year - it has a student reception on site, cinema room, gym, table tennis etc. It has 6 blocks of student accommodation, it was a great place for her first year. https://www.hellostudent.co.uk/student-accommodation/manchester/victoria-point/
Reply 2
Actually just seen that The Arden is moving premises, so this will be too far away, sorry x
Original post by Beth.Smith.254
Hi,

I'm going to be starting at Arden School of Theatre, Manchester as a first year in 2022 on the Musical Theatre BA Hons course - I know their new campus is said to be a two minute walk from Manchester Victoria Station, so is close to that as well as Manchester Arena but I am struggling to find any accommodation. The school doesn't have any accommodation currently, so would be looking for student accommodation nearby Manchester Victoria ideally, or as close as possible.

If anyone is having this same issue, knows any places to look or people to contact that would be perfect, thank you!!

Hi Have you had any luck finding accommodation as I've been looking for my daughter whose been offered a place on Ba Acting and struggling to find somewhere close to new campus.
Hi I am just starting to look for my daughter too she has been accepted on the same course would be nice to find a place with others on their course
Original post by ruocat25
Hi I am just starting to look for my daughter too she has been accepted on the same course would be nice to find a place with others on their course

Please can you let me know if you find somewhere as we're struggling.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Have you had any luck finding accommodation as I've been looking for my daughter whose been offered a place on Ba Acting and struggling to find somewhere close to new campus.

Hi,

My son & I have both been looking and can't find any accommodation that is suitable.

The most recent reviews for Manchester Court (which is close to the new Arden Campus) are dreadful; apparently, it's not unknown for staff to enter rooms - unannounced. This is bad enough for anyone, but I wouldn't be at all happy, if I had a daughter who wanted to go there - but please don't take my word for it, read the reviews yourself.

Sadly, there are a couple of other places very close to the new Arden campus, with similar reviews to Manchester Court; many of the reviews mention rodents, fire alarms and mould as being some of the primary issues.

There ARE a few places where the accommodation looks good and this is reflected in the reviews given, but all of these cost around £230-250+ a week.

My son greatly enjoyed the audition process for the BA Acting at Arden and he thought that the staff seemed really nice and friendly. He has gone from elation at get on offer for the BA Acting degree at Arden, to a rather 'deflated' feeling, as he thinks it very unlikely, that he'll be able to accept offer of a place, due to the lack of (competition for) accommodation in Manchester. Some might say that he should 'bite the bullet' and just 'put up' with poor accommodation for 3 years; I don't agree with such a view. Acting/Drama is surely dependent on the actor being (& feeling) emotionally (& physically) strong; living in (expensive) accommodation which causes discomfort and raises stress levels, isn't conducive to being able to give one's best.

My son really liked and admired the people at Arden and thinks that he could learn a massive amount from being there; however, the issue of accommodation cannot be ignored and I think that he will look at what opportunities his other options might offer. What he might do, is a 'standard' Acting/Drama degree at a local university and then seek to go on to do an MA in Acting at a Drama School/Conservatoire.
Original post by pubrunner
Hi,

My son & I have both been looking and can't find any accommodation that is suitable.

The most recent reviews for Manchester Court (which is close to the new Arden Campus) are dreadful; apparently, it's not unknown for staff to enter rooms - unannounced. This is bad enough for anyone, but I wouldn't be at all happy, if I had a daughter who wanted to go there - but please don't take my word for it, read the reviews yourself.

Sadly, there are a couple of other places very close to the new Arden campus, with similar reviews to Manchester Court; many of the reviews mention rodents, fire alarms and mould as being some of the primary issues.

There ARE a few places where the accommodation looks good and this is reflected in the reviews given, but all of these cost around £230-250+ a week.

My son greatly enjoyed the audition process for the BA Acting at Arden and he thought that the staff seemed really nice and friendly. He has gone from elation at get on offer for the BA Acting degree at Arden, to a rather 'deflated' feeling, as he thinks it very unlikely, that he'll be able to accept offer of a place, due to the lack of (competition for) accommodation in Manchester. Some might say that he should 'bite the bullet' and just 'put up' with poor accommodation for 3 years; I don't agree with such a view. Acting/Drama is surely dependent on the actor being (& feeling) emotionally (& physically) strong; living in (expensive) accommodation which causes discomfort and raises stress levels, isn't conducive to being able to give one's best.

My son really liked and admired the people at Arden and thinks that he could learn a massive amount from being there; however, the issue of accommodation cannot be ignored and I think that he will look at what opportunities his other options might offer. What he might do, is a 'standard' Acting/Drama degree at a local university and then seek to go on to do an MA in Acting at a Drama School/Conservatoire.

Hi what others have you found near the new campus? As I've only found Manchester court and have read the reviews too.
Hi what others have you found near the new campus? As I've only found Manchester court and have read the reviews too.

I found Eagle House, Blackfriars Road in Salford - which is quite close to the new Arden Campus, but they could only offer from 01/07/2022 - 30/06/2023.

I couldn't see the point of paying for all of July and August 2022, when my son wouldn't even be there.
If we don't find anything better within a realistic distance of new campus, think my daughter will have to live at Manchester Court regardless of reviews, for the first year at least. Then hopefully will know the area more and be able to book something better with new friends that are made in the first year.
Yes think that's what we are probably going to do when my other daughter went to uni 5 years ago different city hers were or great but she had an amazing time
Yes think we will do the same tbh my eldest daughters accommodation different city wasn't great but she had the time of her life at uni
Meant to say accommodation was not great
Hi,
Have you all booked Manchester court for Arden? As it's becoming clear Manchester Court is the only choice
Original post by Beth.Smith.254
Hi,

Hi Have you found and booked anywhere yet?
So I've had to bite the bullet and

Original post by ruocat25

Hi,
Any luck finding somewhere for your daughter?
We've bit the bullet and booked a room in Manchester Court as the rooms are selling so quickly. We are been postive about it, thinking with the amount of contact hours they do on the course it will literally only be a place to eat and sleep. And on the reviews someone has replied saying they are the new manager there so hopefully the issues will be addressed.

Hi,
We've bit the bullet and booked a room in Manchester Court as the rooms are selling so quickly. We are been postive about it, thinking with the amount of contact hours they do on the course it will literally only be a place to eat and sleep. And on the reviews someone has replied saying they are the new manager there so hopefully the issues will be addressed.

Hi,

So sorry for inactivity and late replies -- I ended up booking Manchester Court Homes for Students :smile: Glad to see someone else from Arden is gonna be staying there. I didn't realise the bad reviews :/

Hi,

Hi Sory just seen this we have booked her into Manchester Court seemed the nearest one snd hopefully néw management will make a difference nice to know their will be done one else there from Arden too

Hi,

Hi yes we have booked Manchestef Court too good news regarding the new management and really good to know there is someone else on her course is there too

Quick Reply

Latest