The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Music at the Uni of Winchester

Hey everyone;
I've gotten an offer from Winchester for the BA Commercial Music course (without even a portfolio!) and I now want to make it either my firm or insurance choice (I've already met the conditions of their offer). My hopes are pretty high since I saw that Winchester's music courses jumped from #53 (2021) to #10 (2022) on the Guardian's list of the best universities for music. I think the course I applied to started only a year or two ago, so I feel like it might have something to do with this specific course.
Anyway, could anyone doing the course tell me a bit about what it's like (pros, cons, etc.)?
Hi. Ds is doing the commercial music course at Winchester. He is the first year doing the course. Pianist and vocalist. He has just chosen his modules for next year. Sofar , loves Winchester and loves the course. The first year overlaps with the music production and performance course, and the straight music production course. Because of covid, he didn't get an audition or interview, but they accepted him on his PS and his references. It helped that he had a strong background in musical grades and also experience in performing through a theater company. He did however arrange a one to one virtual interview with the course leader, to discuss which course he would be best suited for. Commercial music was the outcome as he wants to write and produce his own music. The course leader was really helpful, this is what made Winchester has first choice. He had an unconditional offer too. Not everyone on his course was give that. If you want further details, I could ask him if he would be happy to chat to you more. Good luck.
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Original post by Julia Davies
Hi. Ds is doing the commercial music course at Winchester. He is the first year doing the course. Pianist and vocalist. He has just chosen his modules for next year. Sofar , loves Winchester and loves the course. The first year overlaps with the music production and performance course, and the straight music production course. Because of covid, he didn't get an audition or interview, but they accepted him on his PS and his references. It helped that he had a strong background in musical grades and also experience in performing through a theater company. He did however arrange a one to one virtual interview with the course leader, to discuss which course he would be best suited for. Commercial music was the outcome as he wants to write and produce his own music. The course leader was really helpful, this is what made Winchester has first choice. He had an unconditional offer too. Not everyone on his course was give that. If you want further details, I could ask him if he would be happy to chat to you more. Good luck.

It would be great to talk to him! Thank you for your reply!
Original post by yellowfrog81
Hey everyone;
I've gotten an offer from Winchester for the BA Commercial Music course (without even a portfolio!) and I now want to make it either my firm or insurance choice (I've already met the conditions of their offer). My hopes are pretty high since I saw that Winchester's music courses jumped from #53 (2021) to #10 (2022) on the Guardian's list of the best universities for music. I think the course I applied to started only a year or two ago, so I feel like it might have something to do with this specific course.
Anyway, could anyone doing the course tell me a bit about what it's like (pros, cons, etc.)?

Hi @yellowfrog81

Unfortunately, we don't have any students from this course available to speak to on TSR currently. However, If you do have any questions about the University, or anything else in general feel free to ask me!

We did also produce a short for the Music courses this year, if you haven't already seen it.

Luke

Quick Reply

Latest