The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

cheap ensuite accomodation near campus

hi Everyone,

I'll be coming to imperial next year and need to find accommodation but the imperial student accommodation halls are very expensive and a lot of them offer shared rooms!? I didn't know shared rooms were a thing at UK universities but lol.

I was hoping a a second or third year student could recommend me the best privatestudent halls, somewhe that's ensuite, ideally under £200, not shared, and near South ken.
Having a private bathroom and bedroom is really important to me but I can't afford the ensuite rooms at imperials own stufent halls unfortunately

if anyone has any good recommendations then I'd be delighted to hear them!
also does anyone know if imperial offers any financial help for accomodation, ik that some other unis can reduce hall fees for people who may not be able to afford them
Original post by UnknownError404
hi Everyone,

I'll be coming to imperial next year and need to find accommodation but the imperial student accommodation halls are very expensive and a lot of them offer shared rooms!? I didn't know shared rooms were a thing at UK universities but lol.

I was hoping a a second or third year student could recommend me the best privatestudent halls, somewhe that's ensuite, ideally under £200, not shared, and near South ken.
Having a private bathroom and bedroom is really important to me but I can't afford the ensuite rooms at imperials own stufent halls unfortunately

if anyone has any good recommendations then I'd be delighted to hear them!
also does anyone know if imperial offers any financial help for accomodation, ik that some other unis can reduce hall fees for people who may not be able to afford them

Congrats on the place, for financial support Imperial has assorted means tested bursaries that you should look at, link below.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/bursaries-and-scholarships/imperial-bursary/

South Ken itself is very up market and (apart from Imperial) is full of embassies, museums and expensive housing for the most part, so it’s pretty common for many students to live some distance away and commute in …. that’s just a London thing TBH.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Private halls aren't going to be cheaper than Imperial's, and you'll miss out on some of the social aspect. Your best bet is the halls further out, like Woodward and Kemp Porter. If your budget is max 200 a week, then you can definitely afford those.
In 2nd year onwards, a lot of people move a bit west; e.g. Fulham, Hammersmith, West Kensington. In those places, if you're sharing a flat with others, then around £150 per week is possible, but this excludes bills a lot of the time.
Alternatively, you could opt to be a hall senior which would allow you to stay in halls, but you'd have to take on a couple extra responsibilities.
Original post by Sinnoh
Private halls aren't going to be cheaper than Imperial's, and you'll miss out on some of the social aspect. Your best bet is the halls further out, like Woodward and Kemp Porter. If your budget is max 200 a week, then you can definitely afford those.
In 2nd year onwards, a lot of people move a bit west; e.g. Fulham, Hammersmith, West Kensington. In those places, if you're sharing a flat with others, then around £150 per week is possible, but this excludes bills a lot of the time.
Alternatively, you could opt to be a hall senior which would allow you to stay in halls, but you'd have to take on a couple extra responsibilities.

how does being a hall senior work and how do you apply to be one?

It’s typically by invitation, sometimes with an interview stage. You start off as a first year just living in hall and hopefully contribute something worthwhile to the social side of things, getting involved in organising and running events, generally helping and not being a d**k. If you reapply then because space is limited the wardening team will make a selection of the limited number of 2nd years they want back again to help run things for the next batch of freshers.
Reply 5

as for this year’s application process, you had to apply on eHalls by filling out a form with a few questions about the role and then have an interview if offered one. the deadline has passed now but they might reopen applications later, although it’s rather unlikely
Did anyone spend the first year in the outer accommodations such as kemp porter and would you recommend it for first year?

Quick Reply

Latest