The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Language Paper 2 7702/2 - 6 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the AQA A Level English Language Paper 2 exam go for you?

AQA A Level English Language Paper 2 7702/2 - 6 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Monday 6th June PM
Length: 2h30

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Need urgent help on time management! - tips on how to answer in enough detail with the time, answering all the questions and time to proof read.
Yup same here. Rushed the comparison I reckon? 😃 I want to Cry~
Are you all going to revise all the possible topics in detail or focus on a few? I went over them all a while ago but I can't imagine memorizing theory for gender/age/ethnicity/region/tech/social class/global englishes and language change???
So many possible topics!
Am I right in thinking that the essay of 2 options will always have one option that is either language change or globak englishes though? I'm considering focusing in on both of those if that's the case so I can atleast write a decent essay for that part.
Original post by lillyroseg
Need urgent help on time management! - tips on how to answer in enough detail with the time, answering all the questions and time to proof read.

I didn't have time to proof read but I managed to answer all the questions in the last paper on time and wrote the amount i was aiming for. I would just suggest practise.

(Although I kinda rushed the comparison too so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice lol)
(edited 1 year ago)
how are people revising for this exam?
- asking for a friend
Any predictions on what topics will come up?
does anybody know if question 3 is basically like answering the comparison question on paper 1, is it the same structure
Reply 8
It's slightly different. Still focus on Lexis, Semantics, Pragmatics, Graphology ect AS it will be: Analyse how language is used in Text A and Text B to present views...

So you need to focus more on what the writer is doing more so than who it's representing. It's comparing question so make sure you look for how they differ. Make sure you understand what the texts or saying before you start writing as well. Try to compare systematically if you want the better marks and aim for semantic patterns, pragmatic features, sentence and clause types, elements and linking cohesion and textual structure. Guide the reader with what you're saying, don't just add a bunch of features you've found. I attempt to make sure there's a minimum of the following in every paragraph I do: Terminology features from both texts, how they differ, which audience they aim for, why it might have been done and how it presents the views of the writer to the audience.

I think some teachers tell people to do them in different ways :smile: Examiners reports are amazing to look at for help: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-language-7701-7702/assessment-resources?f.Resource+type%7C6=Examiner+reports&f.Resource+type%7C6=Mark+schemes
Original post by Jai172004
does anybody know if question 3 is basically like answering the comparison question on paper 1, is it the same structure
Original post by Sav055
It's slightly different. Still focus on Lexis, Semantics, Pragmatics, Graphology ect AS it will be: Analyse how language is used in Text A and Text B to present views...

So you need to focus more on what the writer is doing more so than who it's representing. It's comparing question so make sure you look for how they differ. Make sure you understand what the texts or saying before you start writing as well. Try to compare systematically if you want the better marks and aim for semantic patterns, pragmatic features, sentence and clause types, elements and linking cohesion and textual structure. Guide the reader with what you're saying, don't just add a bunch of features you've found. I attempt to make sure there's a minimum of the following in every paragraph I do: Terminology features from both texts, how they differ, which audience they aim for, why it might have been done and how it presents the views of the writer to the audience.

I think some teachers tell people to do them in different ways :smile: Examiners reports are amazing to look at for help: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-language-7701-7702/assessment-resources?f.Resource+type%7C6=Examiner+reports&f.Resource+type%7C6=Mark+schemes

Doesn't it need to link to theory too?
Original post by Ahhhhhhhhhhh0101

Having spoke to other people on the forum, I've learnt that it's not needed for question 3. Context is really important in this questions, though. More marks goes to terminology and arguments though so try to be balanced and well-structured. That’s what I was taught in class anyway.

If you watch Alice Preece on YouTube, she’s really good at explaining things: https://youtu.be/s6AcvoZ5k7Q
(edited 1 year ago)
Are you all going to revise all the possible topics in detail or focus on a few? I went over them all a while ago but I can't imagine memorizing theory for gender/age/ethnicity/region/tech/social class/global englishes and language change???
So many possible topics!
Am I right in thinking that the essay of 2 options will always have one option that is either language change or globak englishes though? I'm considering focusing in on both of those if that's the case so I can atleast write a decent essay for that part.

I made a wheel decide with all the theories on and I'm spinning it and whatever theorist comes up I have to write about then, it's really helpful

For section B, you don't get any marks for A02 so we were told it isn't essential, it's broken down like this
A01= 10 marks (linguistic terminology ie abstract noun etc)
A03= 15 marks (context)
A04= 15 marks (comparison)
But then you do need theory for the article afterwards
Reply 13
Theory (AO2) gets you no marks in question 3. Don't bother, you'll gain nothing from it.

Original post by Sav055
Yes, think about concepts of discourse ,such as discourse of decay ect. Concepts that linguistics have said - such as aitchisons crumbling castle - are good but don’t throw in random linguists. Context is really important as well in this questions. More marks goes to terminology and arguments though so try to be balanced and well-structured.That’s what I was taught in class anyway.

If you watch Alice Preece on YouTube, she’s really good at explaining things: https://youtu.be/s6AcvoZ5k7Q
Original post by aliya19
Does anyone have any predictions for the evaluative essay topic? I really hope it's Language and Gender although I have a feeling it's not going to be. :frown:

I don't want to jinx anything...so I won't make predictions. However, while looking at past papers...Standards Debate hasn't been overdone yet and neither has ethnicity. The only thing my teacher said was that Language and Gender has been used a lot and it's the least likely. I would just try your best! I'm making sure I know a minimum of 3 studies for each topic and then add as many others as my brain will allow! I just keep getting so much conflicting advice from teachers/friends/student so it's hard to focus right now.

All we can do is hope that's it's worded nicely and it's an average question :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zrake
Theory (AO2) gets you no marks in question 3. Don't bother, you'll gain nothing from it.

I don't plan on mentioning any theorists after doing more research, despite what my teacher says. I just find that thinking about concepts (not theories) helps me find features in the text. I've heard so many contrasting things from my teachers/web/friend that it's making my head explode. I'm just reading examiners reports now about the pros and cons of past papers. But thanks for the clarification, I was thinking about question 4, not 3. :smile: How are you feeling about the upcoming paper?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sav055
I don't want to jinx anything...so I won't make predictions. However, while looking at past papers...Standards Debate hasn't been overdone yet and neither has ethnicity. The only thing my teacher said was that Language and Gender has been used a lot and it's the least likely. I would just try your best! I'm making sure I know a minimum of 3 studies for each topic and then add as many others as my brain will allow! I just keep getting so much conflicting advice from teachers/friends/student so it's hard to focus right now.

All we can do is hope that's it's worded nicely and it's an average question :smile:

i hope language and occupation comes up
Original post by Sav055
Having spoke to other people on the forum, I've learnt that it's not needed for question 3. Context is really important in this questions, though. More marks goes to terminology and arguments though so try to be balanced and well-structured. That’s what I was taught in class anyway.

Thanks. Your original comment prompted me to look into it more and I'm so happy I did I think I would have done Q3 wrong so ty!
Original post by MeowMeowSuperCat
I made a wheel decide with all the theories on and I'm spinning it and whatever theorist comes up I have to write about then, it's really helpful

This is such a good idea! I wish I had the energy I'm too burnt out now rip D:
Original post by Zrake

Original post by Sapphire535
For section B, you don't get any marks for A02 so we were told it isn't essential, it's broken down like this
A01= 10 marks (linguistic terminology ie abstract noun etc)
A03= 15 marks (context)
A04= 15 marks (comparison)
But then you do need theory for the article afterwards

Thank you sm both of you

Quick Reply

Latest