AQA A Level English Literature B Paper 2 (option A) 7717/2A - 20 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Watch this thread
Poll: How did this exam go for you?
Great! (0)
0%
Quite well (8)
40%
Not so good (7)
35%
Terrible! (5)
25%
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago

AQA A Level English Literature B Paper 2 (option A) 7717/2A - 20 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Monday 20th June PM
Length: 3h

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
elspethmcintyre
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
hey is this for crime spec?
em592
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by elspethmcintyre)
hey is this for crime spec?
Yep I think so How are you feeling for the exam?
elspethmcintyre
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
alright atm- I thought paper 1 questions were fair, so hopefully similar for paper 2. its my final exam so I have a while to go over everything. although its open book im trying not to rely on having the books, just so time consuming! I study Atonement and Brighton Rock, what about you? Also do you have any idea of what texts you'll compare or are you just gonna see the questions- im thinking the latter
(Original post by em592)
Yep I think so How are you feeling for the exam?
em592
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
alright atm- I thought paper 1 questions were fair, so hopefully similar for paper 2. its my final exam so I have a while to go over everything. although its open book im trying not to rely on having the books, just so time consuming! I study Atonement and Brighton Rock, what about you? Also do you have any idea of what texts you'll compare or are you just gonna see the questions- im thinking the latter
Same here! I study the same, and exactly, I feel like you loose valuable time in the exam looking for a specific quote. I'm just trying to go through key themes, messages obviously all linked to crime elements . We have been advised to answer section B on Atonement as that was the text which we have revised in most depth however the questions for Atonement sometimes can be pretty complex to answer in 1 hour!
elspethmcintyre
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by em592)
Same here! I study the same, and exactly, I feel like you loose valuable time in the exam looking for a specific quote. I'm just trying to go through key themes, messages obviously all linked to crime elements . We have been advised to answer section B on Atonement as that was the text which we have revised in most depth however the questions for Atonement sometimes can be pretty complex to answer in 1 hour!
Haha that's so funny we do the same texts, not heard of another class doing atonement thus far! I'm leaning towards doing atonement or the poetry for section B, as I feel as I've focused on them the most. I do find many similarities between Brighton rock and the poetry too, so good for Section C. Don't think I'm really going to bother learning quotes for the poetry, mainly just gonna spend time re-reading and picking out key themes, seeing as the anthology isn't long and wont be difficult to find quotes.
em592
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Haha that's so funny we do the same texts, not heard of another class doing atonement thus far! I'm leaning towards doing atonement or the poetry for section B, as I feel as I've focused on them the most. I do find many similarities between Brighton rock and the poetry too, so good for Section C. Don't think I'm really going to bother learning quotes for the poetry, mainly just gonna spend time re-reading and picking out key themes, seeing as the anthology isn't long and wont be difficult to find quotes.
Totally, we have just been advised to have key quotes for the Ballad of Reading Gaol- the rest of the poems will be pretty easy to just flick through. I'm used to doing Brighton Rock and Poetry for section C but yep same, Atonement or Poetry could be section B. It just depends on the question on the day! I do quite like specific character questions as you can really use close analysis from the text and also overarching themes. Hopefully the questions are okay!
elspethmcintyre
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
yep I hope they're ok too! any predictions for questions Section B or C? I'm hoping for C something about status of criminal/victim or motifs, as they're usually broader conventions of crime in comparison to section B questions
(Original post by em592)
Totally, we have just been advised to have key quotes for the Ballad of Reading Gaol- the rest of the poems will be pretty easy to just flick through. I'm used to doing Brighton Rock and Poetry for section C but yep same, Atonement or Poetry could be section B. It just depends on the question on the day! I do quite like specific character questions as you can really use close analysis from the text and also overarching themes. Hopefully the questions are okay!
Kiaesthetic
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
im doing brighton rock, coleridge and atkinson! im not super sure about which ones I'm going to use for the comparison but i was thinking of Coleridge and brighten rock since i feel like i know them better and can show better contrasts and similarities between them

also i absolutely cannot stand atkinsons book, i get that its some postmodern crime novel but the whole book to me is just an attempt to be quirky when it just overcomplicated so many things and fails to bring out its main messages unlike how it was done in brighton rock / coleridge, for starters louise is barely even relevant and also does a poor job in reflecting the integrated themes regarding feminism and capitalism. honestly i could probably go on a super long rant on the book but i should be investing my time in essay plans and revision 🧎🧎🧎🧎🧎🧎🧎 cannot wait for this paper to end

I'm hoping the questions will be nice, i mean the paper 1 ones weren't bad (although i don't think i did well enough 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲) so i do have some hopes for this paper being similarly nice
pepsi-cola
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kiaesthetic)
im doing brighton rock, coleridge and atkinson! im not super sure about which ones I'm going to use for the comparison but i was thinking of Coleridge and brighten rock since i feel like i know them better and can show better contrasts and similarities between them

also i absolutely cannot stand atkinsons book, i get that its some postmodern crime novel but the whole book to me is just an attempt to be quirky when it just overcomplicated so many things and fails to bring out its main messages unlike how it was done in brighton rock / coleridge, for starters louise is barely even relevant and also does a poor job in reflecting the integrated themes regarding feminism and capitalism. honestly i could probably go on a super long rant on the book but i should be investing my time in essay plans and revision 🧎🧎🧎🧎🧎🧎🧎 cannot wait for this paper to end

I'm hoping the questions will be nice, i mean the paper 1 ones weren't bad (although i don't think i did well enough 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲) so i do have some hopes for this paper being similarly nice
honestly i can't stand when will there be good news its such an unnecessarily long novel with 80% waffle and 20% crime lol . i feel like no one else does this book as well so there are limited resources ://
gracemcccabe
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hey i’ve got a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone remember the questions for Othello (question 2) and the third Q on paper 1?

2. Do we have to compare the texts in section C?? We’ve always just been taught to discuss them in relation to the question in separate paragraphs.

3. For section C, it mentions writing about 2 texts. If we do crime poetry and Brighton Rock- would it be enough to speak about just one of the poems and brighton rock, or would we need to speak about more than one poet (e.g Browing and Wilde)

If anyone could help me out with answering these it would be greatly appreciated

Rly scared for this paper ngl, i deffo find it harder than tragedy and i’ve had other exams until now so haven’t really had any time to prep for it.
elspethmcintyre
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
hey! first of all, try not to worry. I've been feeling scared recently too. But just put it into perspective- we haven't been given any advance info so hopefully suggests the questions are fair, and they were for paper 1. Plus the choice between questions although a difficult decision will allow you to use your stronger texts, or questions you feel more comfortable with, in greater detail.
1. significance of marriage, and then to what extent does Othello's pride ennoble him
2. nope. we never compare the texts
3.i think its suggested you talk about two poets
hope you're feeling ok!
(Original post by gracemcccabe)
Hey i’ve got a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone remember the questions for Othello (question 2) and the third Q on paper 1?

2. Do we have to compare the texts in section C?? We’ve always just been taught to discuss them in relation to the question in separate paragraphs.

3. For section C, it mentions writing about 2 texts. If we do crime poetry and Brighton Rock- would it be enough to speak about just one of the poems and brighton rock, or would we need to speak about more than one poet (e.g Browing and Wilde)

If anyone could help me out with answering these it would be greatly appreciated

Rly scared for this paper ngl, i deffo find it harder than tragedy and i’ve had other exams until now so haven’t really had any time to prep for it.
elspethmcintyre
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
anyone got a structure to follow for the useen?
gracemcccabe
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
hey! first of all, try not to worry. I've been feeling scared recently too. But just put it into perspective- we haven't been given any advance info so hopefully suggests the questions are fair, and they were for paper 1. Plus the choice between questions although a difficult decision will allow you to use your stronger texts, or questions you feel more comfortable with, in greater detail.
1. significance of marriage, and then to what extent does Othello's pride ennoble him
2. nope. we never compare the texts
3.i think its suggested you talk about two poets
hope you're feeling ok!
Thank you so much for some reassurance and the helpful answers!

Do you have a set structure you try to go by/ how many paragraphs do you to do per Q as each of the questions are are all worth 25?
pepsi-cola
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much for some reassurance and the helpful answers!

Do you have a set structure you try to go by/ how many paragraphs do you to do per Q as each of the questions are are all worth 25?
i do intro + 3/4 paragraphs in detail linking them to the key words of the question each time and i don't usually add a conclusion, my teacher says they don't really add much to your essay and aren't worth much in terms of marks. hope this helps
gracemcccabe
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Oh really? I did not know this. I always though concluding your points was quite important.
(Original post by pepsi-cola)
i do intro + 3/4 paragraphs in detail linking them to the key words of the question each time and i don't usually add a conclusion, my teacher says they don't really add much to your essay and aren't worth much in terms of marks. hope this helps
pepsi-cola
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
anyone got a structure to follow for the useen?
i go through the extract and highlight diff aspects of crime e.g justice/injustice/ criminals/victims/punishment and then pick out the ones i know i can write most about then i'll mention which aspects of crime are mentioned in the extract in my intro. usually do about 3/4 main-body paragraphs hope this helps and good luck!
pepsi-cola
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Oh really? I did not know this. I always though concluding your points was quite important.
you can write one if you have time but id say its more important making sure you can finish all the main paragraphs in time
oriogonala
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pepsi-cola)
honestly i can't stand when will there be good news its such an unnecessarily long novel with 80% waffle and 20% crime lol . i feel like no one else does this book as well so there are limited resources ://
I agree it's so long and boring and so hard to analyse properly.
ingenii
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I sit option B but I'm guessing the structure is similar. Just wondering what the time management for this Paper (planning and writing time) would be with the 30 minutes extra from Paper 1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
31.43%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
37.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (4)
5.71%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.29%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.71%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.43%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads