The Student Room Group

AQA A Level French Paper 1 7652/1 - 13 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

it was something along the lines of 'so that they can feel valued', which i followed with 'afin qu'ils puissent se senser value' or smth like that with the accent.
i just feel like every eng-fr translation must have at least 1 subjunctive, so that was the only area where it was possible /in my eyes/
Original post by wscvfd
wait where was the subjunctive I can't remember if I used it or not:s-smilie:
Original post by wscvfd
wait where was the subjunctive I can't remember if I used it or not:s-smilie:

pour qu'ils puissent
Original post by emilydaisy_
pour qu'ils puissent

I think it was in order for them to do.... so afin qu'ils puissent cause in order to is afin que which is followed by subjunctive obviously
I put "pour qu'ils puissent se sentir valorisés" ... I feel like pour que and afin que are kinda the same no?
Original post by hchecri
I think it was in order for them to do.... so afin qu'ils puissent cause in order to is afin que which is followed by subjunctive obviously
Original post by hchecri

pour que means the same thing as afin que. both are right
Original post by asafesoul
I put "pour qu'ils puissent se sentir valorisés" ... I feel like pour que and afin que are kinda the same no?

afin que is 'in order to' an pour que is 'so that'. If I remember correctly the transaltion said in english In order to which translates to afin que. I made the same mistake in my mock by writing pour que and I didn't get the mark so I learned from my mistake.
pour que means the same thing as afin que. both are right

no it doesn't. Again, afin que is in order to, pour que is so that. E.g pour que tu fasses (so that you do ) afin que tu fasses (in order that you do). They are different
Original post by hchecri
afin que is 'in order to' an pour que is 'so that'. If I remember correctly the transaltion said in english In order to which translates to afin que. I made the same mistake in my mock by writing pour que and I didn't get the mark so I learned from my mistake.

i'm pretty sure afin que and pour que are synonyms. of course i may be wrong but i'm sure pour que and afin que both mean in order to and so that
Original post by giveups
it was something along the lines of 'so that they can feel valued', which i followed with 'afin qu'ils puissent se senser value' or smth like that with the accent.
i just feel like every eng-fr translation must have at least 1 subjunctive, so that was the only area where it was possible /in my eyes/

yeah it said “so that” so i wrote “pour qu’ils puissent se sentir valorisés”
i'm pretty sure afin que and pour que are synonyms. of course i may be wrong but i'm sure pour que and afin que both mean in order to and so that

maybe you are right, it is just that there was a very similar phrase in a past aqa paper and they wanted you to translate in order to.... in a translation from english to french and they specifically rejected pour que. In the mark scheme 'Pour que' was in the do not accept column. Not my rules lol, Its just aqa being stingy and annoying but yh...
pretty sure i was on team pour que ah well let me pray
Original post by hchecri
no it doesn't. Again, afin que is in order to, pour que is so that. E.g pour que tu fasses (so that you do ) afin que tu fasses (in order that you do). They are different

i've looked it up and most sources say that afin que and pour que are interchangeable and mean the same thing. you may be right but my teacher has said that they are synonyms
anyway, its not like we'll get to see the papers ever again so hopefully they accept both in the mark scheme!
pretty certain it said so that?!?? if it had of said in order to my brain wouldnt have jumped to subjunctive but it did
what is everyone saying about Q2 with michel charlotte or sophie?

(i had no idea poignardées meant stabbed so that immediately threw me off)
Me neither I'd never seen that before! Thankfully I thought of "poinget" (wrist) / "poingée" (handle) so I guessed it was something to do with hands
Original post by danfinch26
what is everyone saying about Q2 with michel charlotte or sophie?

(i had no idea poignardées meant stabbed so that immediately threw me off)
Original post by nathan.wain
it was the pour que part

ohhh ok that does ring a bell
I put pour que rather than afin que, I thought they were synonyms haha
It won't even amount to one mark as mistakes in the translation are converted to a mark so you're all good guys
Original post by wscvfd
I put pour que rather than afin que, I thought they were synonyms haha

i put alors qu'ils puissent

oops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending