The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Religious Studies Religion and ethics H573/02 - 14 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the OCR A Level Religious Studies 2 exam go for you?

OCR A Level Religious Studies Religion and ethics H573/02 - 14 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Tuesday 14th June AM
Length: 2h

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Although the advance info doesn't specifically mention the four normative ethical theories, you do have to know them all. Natural Law and situation ethics might be needed to answer the euthanasia question and any of the four of them could come up in application to sexual ethics.

I'm pretty sure everyone will hope to answer euthanasia and conscience and then it's going to be a hard choice between meta-ethics and sexual ethics. Meta-ethics is very hard, but sexual ethics requires so much content to be prepared for the huge range of questions!

Also make sure to be ready for questions on euthanasia or sexual ethics that do not require application. E.g. "Assess whether the sanctity of life has any validity in 21st century medical ethics". Or "Assess whether sexual behaviour should be a private matter or subject to public norms and legislation". Note that although such questions do not require bringing in theories like situation ethics or natural law, nonetheless it is certainly valid to do so, if done in a way that helps you answer the question.

Regarding sexual ethics, you could also get questions about religious vs secular views such as "Assess whether secular views on sexual ethics have been an improvement to religious views". For religious views, you will need Bible quotes and perhaps the views of major theologians, but you can also include Aquinas and Fletcher since their theories are religious. Utilitarianism is an example of a secular theory that you can use to represent the 'secular' side, in addition to general secular views on sexual ethics (e.g. Freud). Kantian ethics is controversial regarding whether it is secular or religious.. probably safest to just not include it in questions like this.

Here are my notes for the topics in the advance info. Sadly I have not finished them for euthanasia:

Meta ethics

Conscience

Sexual ethics
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Joe312
Although the advance info doesn't specifically mention the four normative ethical theories, you do have to know them all. Natural Law and situation ethics might be needed to answer the euthanasia question and any of the four of them could come up in application to sexual ethics.

I'm pretty sure everyone will hope to answer euthanasia and conscience and then it's going to be a hard choice between meta-ethics and sexual ethics. Meta-ethics is very hard, but sexual ethics requires so much content to be prepared for the huge range of questions!

Also make sure to be ready for questions on euthanasia or sexual ethics that do not require application. E.g. "Assess whether the sanctity of life has any validity in 21st century medical ethics". Or "Assess whether sexual behaviour should be a private matter or subject to public norms and legislation". Note that although such questions do not require bringing in theories like situation ethics or natural law, nonetheless it is certainly valid to do so, if done in a way that helps you answer the question.

Regarding sexual ethics, you could also get questions about religious vs secular views such as "Assess whether secular views on sexual ethics have been an improvement to religious views". For religious views, you will need Bible quotes and perhaps the views of major theologians, but you can also include Aquinas and Fletcher since their theories are religious. Utilitarianism is an example of a secular theory that you can use to represent the 'secular' side, in addition to general secular views on sexual ethics (e.g. Freud). Kantian ethics is controversial regarding whether it is secular or religious.. probably safest to just not include it in questions like this.

Here are my notes for the topics in the advance info. Sadly I have not finished them for euthanasia:

Meta ethics

Conscience

Sexual ethics

Some really helpful information here! This is great - thanks for sharing :smile:

MP
any predictions? TIA
My teacher never told us about Prudence and then randomly mentioned it a couple days ago in case it comes up for Conscience, the question won't be solely focused on Prudence right, just something you could maybe mention in an essay?
My teacher rushed through sexual ethics and meta ethics is pretty hard so I'll wait for the questions before I decide.
i think im going to just not revise sexual ethics, because theres just too much, and i could just focus on making im prepared for the other three, because i quite like metaethics as well
me too my school did metaethics conscience sexual ethics in a month ;(
Original post by nichster291
My teacher rushed through sexual ethics and meta ethics is pretty hard so I'll wait for the questions before I decide.
Yh I don't think the whole question will be prudence based
Hey - does anyone know what the Nov 2021 paper qs were? Thanks :smile:
Original post by caramellll
Hey - does anyone know what the Nov 2021 paper qs were? Thanks :smile:

-Critically asess the view that natural law is of no help in making moral decisions
-"Issues raised by euthanasia are best addressed by situation ethics." Discuss
-Evaluate the view that Kantian ethics provides a more useful approach to whistle blowing than utilitarianism
-"There is no evidence to support the claim that conscience exists" Discuss
Original post by tahsinkalam
-Critically asess the view that natural law is of no help in making moral decisions
-"Issues raised by euthanasia are best addressed by situation ethics." Discuss
-Evaluate the view that Kantian ethics provides a more useful approach to whistle blowing than utilitarianism
-"There is no evidence to support the claim that conscience exists" Discuss

Thank sm :smile:
what do you guys think they will ask? ahhh
im leaving out meta-ethics
As they've asked natural law and situation ethics focused questions for euthanasia in the past, the question probably won't be a specific focus on either one, right? (E.G. It won't be... Natural law/Situation ethics is useful for euthanasia...Evaluate this view)
Original post by s.Ellie
As they've asked natural law and situation ethics focused questions for euthanasia in the past, the question probably won't be a specific focus on either one, right? (E.G. It won't be... Natural law/Situation ethics is useful for euthanasia...Evaluate this view)

I guess it makes it less likely but don't count on it. Besides, they are useful to apply to any question of euthanasia.
Original post by nichster291
I guess it makes it less likely but don't count on it. Besides, they are useful to apply to any question of euthanasia.

Oh I know both theories, I’m just kinda hoping the question isn’t specific to them, but focused on certain principles/terms
do you know if they can ask more than one question from the same topic?
Original post by erinosullivan
do you know if they can ask more than one question from the same topic?

No, they give 1 question for each topic
thank you so much!!! (Original post by s.Ellie)No, they give 1 question for each topic

Quick Reply

Latest