The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Religious Studies Religion and ethics H573/02 - 14 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Given Paper 1 was all specific questions within the topics i expect they'll do a similar thing, e.g. aquinas' view of conscience, intuitionism specifically, kantian view of sexual ethics, utilitarian approach to euthanasia. idk though, thats just what i expect
Original post by barless1
Given Paper 1 was all specific questions within the topics i expect they'll do a similar thing, e.g. aquinas' view of conscience, intuitionism specifically, kantian view of sexual ethics, utilitarian approach to euthanasia. idk though, thats just what i expect

Utilitarianism and euthanasia? I thought euthanasia could only be linked to natural law or situation ethics
You might be right, i probably could have paid more attention in that topic lol

Original post by s.Ellie
Utilitarianism and euthanasia? I thought euthanasia could only be linked to natural law or situation ethics
what are people thinking will come up? any predictions?
Original post by crybabyellie
what are people thinking will come up? any predictions?

I'm hoping meta ethics will be intuitionism but no predictions honestly
Yh that's correct, only NML and SE to Euthanasia its Sexual Ethics that has all 4 normative ethical theories
Original post by s.Ellie
How did the exam go?
Original post by Mythical Pingu
How did the exam go?

I think it went well, the questions were really good actually
What were the questions?
Original post by Joe312
What were the questions?

1. Relevance of the sanctity of life to euthanasia
2. Whether ethical terms such as good, bad, right, wrong are meaningless
3. Assessing utilitarianism in sexual ethics
4. Comparing Aquinas and Freud on conscience + its effects on moral decision-making

(paraphrased of course, I can’t remember the exact wording)
Original post by Mythical Pingu
How did the exam go?

For me it went much better than philosophy surprisingly considering that I revised much less, proving quality is better than quantity. I found meta and euthanasia great but struggled a bit on conscience as I didn’t have enough time to write everything down so had to leave it as a two perel essay.
Original post by xxtxfxx
4. Comparing Aquinas and Freud on conscience + its effects on moral decision-making

Thanks - those all seem pretty decent.
Went quite well! Even though the questions were applied I found them more open ended then philosophy- was able to bring in much more to my answers.
For the sanctity of life question what did people do?
Original post by xxtxfxx

I think question 3 was like “utilitarianism is the only ethical theory that should be used for decisions surrounding sexual ethics”
which questions did you do? :0)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rara345
Went quite well! Even though the questions were applied I found them more open ended then philosophy- was able to bring in much more to my answers.
For the sanctity of life question what did people do?

P1 - Aquinas and why sanctity of life is relevant but then evaluated against it

P2 - Fletcher and why sanctity of life isn’t as relevant as factors like autonomy + evaluation + counter evaluation

P3 - Sanctity of Life Vs Quality of life + Eval

P4 - Autonomy/Quality of life aligning with a religious view (E.G. God giving us free will/being omnibenevolent) + Eval + Counter Eval

So quality of life/autonomy can align with a secular & theological approach to euthanasia, whereas sanctity of life is only good with a theological approach that is now outdated with modern medical ethics
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by s.Ellie

P2 - Fletcher and why sanctity of life isn’t as relevant as factors like autonomy + evaluation + counter evaluation

P4 - Autonomy/Quality of life aligning with a religious view (E.G. God giving us free will/being omnibenevolent) + Eval + Counter Eval

So quality of life/autonomy can align with a secular & theological approach to euthanasia, whereas sanctity of life is only good with a theological approach that is now outdated with modern medical ethics

Ooooo nice :smile:
Original post by s.Ellie

That sounds good, I went for a v. Different approach but I guess that’s what’s nice about RS, I went for Aquinas and NML & strong sanctity with veal about needless suffering, then literalist criticism into Fletcher with Weak Sanctity of life and Situation ethics and then weak sanctity of life with the idea of Quality of life as an alternative and then eval to show that weak sanctity is better due to slippery slope and a bit more eval.
Original post by hiiiiiiye2ue89
That sounds good, I went for a v. Different approach but I guess that’s what’s nice about RS, I went for Aquinas and NML & strong sanctity with veal about needless suffering, then literalist criticism into Fletcher with Weak Sanctity of life and Situation ethics and then weak sanctity of life with the idea of Quality of life as an alternative and then eval to show that weak sanctity is better due to slippery slope and a bit more eval.

That sounds good too, and yeah, it’s flexible, there’s no right or wrong answer as long as you can justify what you’re saying
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 38

Natural Law and Situation Ethics can only be applied to Euthanasia.
Utilitarianism and Kantian Ethics can only be applied to Business Ethics
And then all of the normative ethical theories are applied to Sexual Ethics

You might be right, i probably could have paid more attention in that topic lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending