The Student Room Group

Would it be reasonable to pursue an Online PGCert while doing an MRes

Hi everyone,I am an overseas intercalating medical student about to commence MRes in Epidemiology. I noticed that the MRes is relatively less busy compared to medical school as per testimonies of past medical students upon completing their MRes. So I was really pursuing the idea of doing a secondary degree in a field I am interested in at the PGCert level. Since the course will be distance learning, I would expect that there wouldn’t be much clash between doing both an In-Person MRes and an Online PGCert. The course would also be related to what I plan on doing in MRes, so they will most likely complement each other at the end of the day. There’s this one program I’ve been eyeing that gives out full tuition fee waivers for selected students in their PGCert, so I wouldn’t necessarily be spending more £££ for the additional load by taking up a certificate.

Would this be manageable or should I look the other way? Any one with experience or comments are welcome to pitch in. Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by athallaharsyaf
Hi everyone,I am an overseas intercalating medical student about to commence MRes in Epidemiology. I noticed that the MRes is relatively less busy compared to medical school as per testimonies of past medical students upon completing their MRes. So I was really pursuing the idea of doing a secondary degree in a field I am interested in at the PGCert level. Since the course will be distance learning, I would expect that there wouldn’t be much clash between doing both an In-Person MRes and an Online PGCert. The course would also be related to what I plan on doing in MRes, so they will most likely complement each other at the end of the day. There’s this one program I’ve been eyeing that gives out full tuition fee waivers for selected students in their PGCert, so I wouldn’t necessarily be spending more £££ for the additional load by taking up a certificate.

Would this be manageable or should I look the other way? Any one with experience or comments are welcome to pitch in. Thanks!

Your MRes uni will likely have a rule that you can't be registered at another uni in parallel, intercalation being an exception.
Original post by threeportdrift
Your MRes uni will likely have a rule that you can't be registered at another uni in parallel, intercalation being an exception.

I have tried looking at their University Regulations and it says nothing of a sort regarding dual enrollment…
Note that while an MRes may have fewer formal contact hours for lectures and such, as a research masters you will most likely be expected to be doing research full time (be it independent "library" research, or working in your PI's lab). So I imagine things will be busier than you may think...normally scientific research is 9-5 working in a lab, except when you're at meetings/seminars/journal clubs and perhaps some separate "write up" time here and there (or for computational projects, 9-5 doing the computational modelling and programming, although you have the benefit of being able to slack off a bit while code is compiling and such :wink: ).
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest