The Student Room Group

gcse requirements / medicine

hey y'all i'm in yr11 and do 10 gcse subjects. i would like to get into oxford or cambridge uni. but i am stuck in which one to choose.

also if i get a grade 5 in my spanish gcse and the rest of my gcse grade 8's and 9's would they allow me.

pls reply u lot!
Original post by introvertneek
hey y'all i'm in yr11 and do 10 gcse subjects. i would like to get into oxford or cambridge uni. but i am stuck in which one to choose.

also if i get a grade 5 in my spanish gcse and the rest of my gcse grade 8's and 9's would they allow me.

pls reply u lot!

Hi there.

Oxford is a GCSE heavy uni so it may be worth dropping Spanish as they shortlist candidates based on the number of 8/9 grades.

Just to note that there is prestige doesn't matter for medicine as all UK medical degrees are viewed in the same way :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

pls reply u lot!

like you, i also want to do medicine (i'm in yr11).
look at this site and it tells you all the requirements needed for medicine: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Oxford is a GCSE heavy uni so it may be worth dropping Spanish as they shortlist candidates based on the number of 8/9 grades.

Just to note that there is prestige doesn't matter for medicine as all UK medical degrees are viewed in the same way :smile:

spanish in my school is mandatory, and the reason why i am doing foundation is that i have missed a lot of school in yr 10 so i decided to do foundation so i can focus on other subjects. do u know about cambridge are they the same????
Original post by harlz_chalamet
like you, i also want to do medicine (i'm in yr11).
look at this site and it tells you all the requirements needed for medicine: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

thanks my g
spanish in my school is mandatory, and the reason why i am doing foundation is that i have missed a lot of school in yr 10 so i decided to do foundation so i can focus on other subjects. do u know about cambridge are they the same????

That's unfortunate - it may be wise not to apply and waste a choice on Oxford.

You have 4 options for medicine and as I said there's no rankings/prestige in medicine.

I'm not sure but @harlz_chalamet has provided an excellent link for you to check :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Why do you want to study as oxford/cambridge specifically? Is it purely because "It's Oxford/Cambridge"? Medicine is one of the few courses where it really doesn't matter where you study! When you apply for a job after medical school, they will not know where you studied intentionally. It's blinded because it doesn't matter!
The Oxbridge teaching style is different to a lot of universities, still very strongly split clinical/non-clinical. I would suggest looking at the course structure before setting your mind on trying to get into Oxbridge - medicine is, obviously, competitive and you need to apply strategically.

Oxford is *very* GCSE heavy. You need perfect GCSEs to be competitive - all 8s/9s. Cambridge less so.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PAR2MED
Why do you want to study as oxford/cambridge specifically? Is it purely because "It's Oxford/Cambridge"? Medicine is one of the few courses where it really doesn't matter where you study! When you apply for a job after medical school, they will not know where you studied intentionally. It's blinded because it doesn't matter!
The Oxbridge teaching style is different to a lot of universities, still very strongly split clinical/non-clinical. I would suggest looking at the course structure before setting your mind on trying to get into Oxbridge - medicine is, obviously, competitive and you need to apply strategically.

Oxford is *very* GCSE heavy. You need perfect GCSEs to be competitive - all 8s/9s. Cambridge less so.

to be honest, i am jealous of people getting into oxford and i wanna get in as well . the reason why its oxford or cambridge is purely because i want to look smart, but as you said it doesn't matter where i study and that you need perfect grades for oxford/cambridge anyways.
to be honest, i am jealous of people getting into oxford and i wanna get in as well . the reason why its oxford or cambridge is purely because i want to look smart, but as you said it doesn't matter where i study and that you need perfect grades for oxford/cambridge anyways.

Don't take this the wrong way but that is a terrible reason to pick a university! What's more important to you, studying medicine or studying at Oxbridge?
I'm not saying you can't study med and Oxbridge - obviously people do it every year! However, applying to them just for the sake of it, is a lot of extra pressure for no good reason!
Try and get the best GCSEs you can, and then pick good A-levels (Cambridge need Biology Chemistry *and* physics/maths; Biology and Chemistry + any other will be fine for everywhere else - although this is oversimplified), and then check out the medicine sub forum when you're looking at applying to uni, there's lots of help.
Good luck.
PRSOM @PAR2MED :smile:

@introvertneek try not to worry about what others think of you and try to focus on getting the best grades you can. Getting into any med school is a success in itself!

Best wishes :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest