The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah agree, I used the percentage thing to illustrate a point. Totally agree with above posts, it is all relative. Good luck with OASC.
Reply 21
ProStacker
Don't look at percentages of passing. If everyone on a selection was good enough, everyone would be put forward. It isn't a competition - you are only competing against you - nobody else.

That is true enough with regards to OASC, however, to actually get an offer of employment with the RAF it will involve your overall performance/score being compared to other successful applicants that have the same branch choices as you, this would be a Sift!

Good luck!
OK - I'll start again.

You are in competition. It isn't a competition.

Or is that too subtle for everyone?
Reply 23
Yeah...on oasc you are competing against a standard not againt each other. Once/If you have been successfull you are potentially competing against other successfull candidates for a place....the sift.
OASC is a competition. Every job interview is a competition. You need to reach a standard, if you reach it you're more than likely to be in a competition with one or more persons of a similar standard. If exceed the standard of the majority, you're in.

The Army doesn't have a quota, it has a standard. If you achieve or exceed that standard you are offered a place.

The RN.... similar to the RAF but their sift process is slightly different.....

But then you should be shooting high anyway?
Reply 25
Lady Venom
OASC is a competition. Every job interview is a competition. You need to reach a standard, if you reach it you're more than likely to be in a competition with one or more persons of a similar standard. If exceed the standard of the majority, you're in.

I sort of agree; people should certainly be aiming to do as well as they can; but it's not a competition in the traditional sense. That would imply that there are 10 slots on every board, and the best on that board get in. That would put you in competition with the other people sitting round the dinner table with you.

Realistically, the performance of the other people who attend OASC at the same time or roughly the same time as you does matter a little, but generally you're fighting to exceed a fixed standard by as much as you can.
Lady Venom
OASC is a competition. Every job interview is a competition.

Too subtle for some then. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
ProStacker
Too subtle for some then. :rolleyes:

Nah, it's much more of an assessment than a competition. There's an annual competition for spaces, but your individual 4 days at OASC shouldn't be looked on as that.

And it wasn't too subtle, I chose to disagree! :P

Latest