The Student Room Group

LSE or Warwick for economics

I have received offers from LSE A*AB plus A in further maths and from Warwick AAA. I am unsure on which university to choose but my decision is likely to based on careers, employability, graduate prospects, campus, flexibility of course, teaching quality. LSE would be a city university and I don't think I will particularly enjoy living in London but it may be worth it considering the prestige of LSE and the career prospects it offers especially internationally whereas at Warwick I will be have a campus but it may lack the career prospects. My question is that which university is better for me based on the above factors with more emphasis on career prospects, flexibility of course, teaching quality and generally how enjoyable the university will be such as sports including cricket and badminton.

In addition, should I firm either one of LSE or Warwick and then put the other as insurance offer. I am not sure about this because the insurance should be lower entry requirement and the other choices I have are Bristol and Nottingham for which the entry requirements AAB so I might decide to put either LSE or Warwick as firm then either Bristol or Nottingham as insurance offer.
LSE has the better economics department and course, it'll offer better career prospects too. However, you'll have to weigh that up with a higher cost of living and the 'city campus experience'. Whilst in my experience most people liked going to LSE, I wouldn't say people rate it as being as enjoyable than many other unis due to the intensity of the course.

Warwick is also really good for Econ but LSE is better, Warwick is a campus uni which suits some people even if it's in the middle of nowhere (Coventry being the nearest city isn't exactly an endorsement imo but each to their own). It'll also be fair bit cheaper (lower cost of living, rather than lower tuition).

Only you know how you weigh up your preferences over course quality, career prospects, social life, campus/location, etc. I would also recommend that you put one of LSE/Warwick as a firm and then Notts/Bristol as the insurance, very little point in putting the insurance as something with similar grades given the competitiveness of Econ (if you miss your firm, it's pretty likely you'll miss the insurance too) but I'm sure you have some idea about what you're likely to get, rather than an online stranger's opinion 😅
Reply 2
Hi - I'm actually trying to make the exact same choice (but I live in London suburbs so I think I wouldn't mind the city but a campus is appealing)

In terms of employment prospects for Warwick, they'd still be great - Warwick has a particular reputation for maths, cs and economics I'd say.
Course-wise from what I've heard the LSE course is much more mathematical but at Warwick you could write a dissertation.
Reply 3
Original post by Hey17
Hi - I'm actually trying to make the exact same choice (but I live in London suburbs so I think I wouldn't mind the city but a campus is appealing)

In terms of employment prospects for Warwick, they'd still be great - Warwick has a particular reputation for maths, cs and economics I'd say.
Course-wise from what I've heard the LSE course is much more mathematical but at Warwick you could write a dissertation.

Hi yeah I think a campus would be more suited for me but LSE has the prestige and reputation which is better for employment. What's your Instagram I think we should keep in touch.
Reply 4
Original post by BenRyan99
LSE has the better economics department and course, it'll offer better career prospects too. However, you'll have to weigh that up with a higher cost of living and the 'city campus experience'. Whilst in my experience most people liked going to LSE, I wouldn't say people rate it as being as enjoyable than many other unis due to the intensity of the course.

Warwick is also really good for Econ but LSE is better, Warwick is a campus uni which suits some people even if it's in the middle of nowhere (Coventry being the nearest city isn't exactly an endorsement imo but each to their own). It'll also be fair bit cheaper (lower cost of living, rather than lower tuition).

Only you know how you weigh up your preferences over course quality, career prospects, social life, campus/location, etc. I would also recommend that you put one of LSE/Warwick as a firm and then Notts/Bristol as the insurance, very little point in putting the insurance as something with similar grades given the competitiveness of Econ (if you miss your firm, it's pretty likely you'll miss the insurance too) but I'm sure you have some idea about what you're likely to get, rather than an online stranger's opinion 😅

Yeah thanks for answer. Probably gonna decide after I visit LSE for their offer holder day.

Quick Reply