The Student Room Group

Should i take criminology for my A levels?

I want to become a midwife in the future and have already decided im going to take biology and psychology for my Alevels but ive had a hard time deciding my third subject. I really do not want to do a lot of the Alevel options available to me like other sciences, sociology, ect. Recently, i have found the course criminology and i really want to do it, ive looked into the course and the exams, its all very interesting to me. Only downside is that majority of the sixth forms/college nearest to me do not take this course so for me to go to a sixth form that takes criminology it will be an hour travel minimum.

Do you think that the fact that i really want to do this subject can make up for the travel time/is it worth it? or should i just go for another subject like politics since the schools closest to me have those?
Original post by k3rmitsubo
I want to become a midwife in the future and have already decided im going to take biology and psychology for my Alevels but ive had a hard time deciding my third subject. I really do not want to do a lot of the Alevel options available to me like other sciences, sociology, ect. Recently, i have found the course criminology and i really want to do it, ive looked into the course and the exams, its all very interesting to me. Only downside is that majority of the sixth forms/college nearest to me do not take this course so for me to go to a sixth form that takes criminology it will be an hour travel minimum.

Do you think that the fact that i really want to do this subject can make up for the travel time/is it worth it? or should i just go for another subject like politics since the schools closest to me have those?

I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they study Criminology as it isn't a proper A level and people can experience problems further down the line getting into uni with it.

Sociology or Politics would be safer choices and not require the stressful extra travelling time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Agree with harrysbar on this. Criminology is okay if you want to go down a legal / policing route, but for Midwifery , Sociology is a much better choice. Also the extra travelling would be unnecessary.
Its not an A level - whatever any school/college tells you. Its a weird WJEC Diploma and many Unis dont accept it because it isnt considered 'academic' enough. Its full of True Crime nonsense and has very litlle theoretical content. Its a waste of time. Do Sociology or Health and Social Care etc, or a BTEC Certificate instead.
Original post by harrysbar
I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they study Criminology as it isn't a proper A level and people can experience problems further down the line getting into uni with it.

Sociology or Politics would be safer choices and not require the stressful extra travelling time.

Thats a load of rubbish, it is equivalent to an a level and many unis accept it
Original post by MatthewDrew3
it is equivalent to an a level and many unis accept it

It is only equivalent in terms of UCAS points - ie. when applying to those sort of Unis, it may be accepted beciase of their lower academic standards.
However, many RG etc Unis consider it 'not academic enough' and will not accept it.
Original post by MatthewDrew3
Thats a load of rubbish, it is equivalent to an a level and many unis accept it

Many Unis accept it but some don’t and we have seen on TSR students who can’t get into the sort of Uni they want to because they have taken Criminology. So I recommend students take something like A level Sociology instead which every single Uni accepts
Reply 7
I would seriously consider doing Sociology. It's interesting too.

Quick Reply

Latest