The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Anyone Sucessfully Appealed a Rejection for Law at Strathclyde?

My son has just received a rejection from Strathclyde to study Law, despite already sitting with 5 A’s at Higher, what we were told was a strong personal statement and studying a further higher and 2 AH’s this year! I’m gutted for him and really am unsure of what best to do for him. He’s still waiting to hear from Edinburgh. His rejection cited ‘not enough funded places available.’ Surely a Scottish candidate with those grades should’ve been up there with a really good shot at a place? As an ex-Strathclyder myself, I’m genuinely upset for him. Has anyone successfully appealed a decision or know of anyone who’s been successful?
Original post by LAMummy
My son has just received a rejection from Strathclyde to study Law, despite already sitting with 5 A’s at Higher, what we were told was a strong personal statement and studying a further higher and 2 AH’s this year! I’m gutted for him and really am unsure of what best to do for him. He’s still waiting to hear from Edinburgh. His rejection cited ‘not enough funded places available.’ Surely a Scottish candidate with those grades should’ve been up there with a really good shot at a place? As an ex-Strathclyder myself, I’m genuinely upset for him. Has anyone successfully appealed a decision or know of anyone who’s been successful?

I don't think your son is guaranteed a place at any uni esp Strathclyde.

You can write to the Head of Department requesting a review to the decision and providing more context for his profile. Good luck
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
I don't think your son is guaranteed a place at any uni esp Strathclyde.

You can write to the Head of Department requesting a review to the decision and providing more context for his profile. Good luck

I know nothing is guaranteed, however an applicant sitting with 5 A’s at Higher (8 A’s at Nat-5) and currently studying for 2 AH’s and another H, must surely be ‘up there’. That’s more than the entry requirements as at 5th year and he’s continued his studies into 6th year at school. Very disappointing for him and likely other candidates, who have worked their backsides off these last two years through all the covid disruptions and in his case, some pretty huge personal/family events. So annoying when someone who maybe has lesser grades, but lives in a more deprived postcode, or goes to a ‘target’ school, gets preference over another student who’s worked blooming hard.
Original post by LAMummy
I know nothing is guaranteed, however an applicant sitting with 5 A’s at Higher (8 A’s at Nat-5) and currently studying for 2 AH’s and another H, must surely be ‘up there’. That’s more than the entry requirements as at 5th year and he’s continued his studies into 6th year at school. Very disappointing for him and likely other candidates, who have worked their backsides off these last two years through all the covid disruptions and in his case, some pretty huge personal/family events. So annoying when someone who maybe has lesser grades, but lives in a more deprived postcode, or goes to a ‘target’ school, gets preference over another student who’s worked blooming hard.

I am not sure you know the circumstances of every student who was accepted by the university. Grades are not the only indicator for success and many universities have moved away from issue admission based on academic grades only esp during this period where they are claims of grade inflation by school.

Contextual grades and profiles are increasingly being used to ensure that students from deprived areas or backgrounds are not disadvantaged by those who have been afforded better opportunities through parental support and/or resources.

As earlier advised, you should reach out to the relevant authorities to check whether your son’s application can be reviewed.
Original post by LAMummy

You're assuming that there aren't more people with grades as good as or better than your son's than there are places. I'm afraid everyone and their dog has a strong personal statement these days - that's a basic requirement, not an advantage.

The thing with just about everything in adulthood is that being "good enough" doesn't guarantee anything. If there are ten university places going and twenty people who are good enough, ten people who are good enough will be rejected. If there's a job going and fifteen applicants who are good enough, fourteen of them won't get it. If you're trying to buy a house and ten people offer over the asking price, nine of them won't be able to buy it.

Yes, it's disappointing to be good enough on paper but not get something you wanted because too many other people were thought to be better than you. IMO it's not worth appealing unless there's been a clerical error and, for instance, they're saying he only didn't get a place because he doesn't have a particular qualification, when he does have it.

What universities has he been offered places at? I'd really suggest that this should be his focus. Strathclyde said no. It's disappointing but it's over; time to move on.
I have a friend in what is classed as a deprived area and a low progression school (Kilmarnock). She has 8As at N5 and 5As at Higher and has also been rejected. You are wrong to assume widening access guarantees offers at the expense of others.

Your son is good enough for the course but when they are over subscribed many who are good enough will get rejected.
Your son isn’t alone. My friend was rejected too. 5 A’s at Higher S5. predicted 2 A at AH and a further A at higher S6 same reason given.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending